Vmax Battery replacement 101

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before calling the battery toast, I would connect up a different charger. The Odyssey's do not respond too well to trickle chargers.

According to the Odyssey manual, the charge time to bring a PC680 battery up to 80 - 95% recharge is 2 1/2 hours on a 10-amp charger or 1 1/4 hours on a 20-amp charger. This is for a 100% discharged battery (11.5 volts).

Yeah but why did it go dead to begin with would be my question. AGM batts lose VERY little charge over time so something here is amiss!

Okay folks...thanks for the info.

So what went amiss? Before I spend $, I'd love to know.

Thanks

Elimax

K quick question about the pc680 was getting ready to order and was reading the reviews my only concern is with having to charge it. People were saying that you can not charge it with a battery maintainer so what is the proper way to charge it without ruining it?. I store my batteries in my house throught the winters, so need to know how to keep it up without hurting it.

i use the pc680 on a tender and never had a problem.

I just bought a Yuasa "big" battery from a local shop. He's a good friend, and got it for $45.00. Battery box is out, ready for modifying. That small valve on the front of the battery box has been relegated to the spare parts box, and I ran a new line from the tank breather down along the right side of the bike to the ground. I imagine that little plastic valve is some sort of shut off valve for the breather? In any case, it did not pass air in either direction. I had a couple instances over the years where the bike starved for fuel. Usually after a long fast blast down the interstate... Releasing the fuel cap caused a loud sound of air entering the tank, and things were OK.. Maybe this valve is not working, and causing the problem? Only happened about 3 or 4 tiimes in 25 years, though.....
I'll post results with the Yuasa when I get it - Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

BTW - the battery I replaced was 7 years old - a Yuasa standard battery.

As stated earlier, according to the instructions, a Battery Tender type charger will not charge a dis-charged PC680. It will only maintain the charge or charge a slightly dis-charged battery. A normal "automatic" charger often will not charge a sealed battery. Need to have a charger that has a "Maintenance Free" or similar setting. The sealed batteries have more resistance and fool the standard automatic charger into thinking it has fully charged the battery when it hasn't. If you don't have this type charger then charging with a non-automatic charger will work but you have to time the charging so you won't overcharge the battery.

so i went out this weekend and got the battery sean recommended. sears didn't have it but autozone did. almost same long part number.

I didn't want to install the battery and not put the strap on. i know the battery isn't going to move much but just thinking of that acid bouncing around wasn't giving me the fuzzies. i modified my box to be able to retain the strap by removing the corners off the box but leaving the center of the backside uncut. This will allow you to leave the hook.

FYI make sure you hook the rubber strap to the short side BEFORE you put the battery in. I anchored it first and therefore made it easier to slide the big a$$ battery in. 1 inch bigger doesn't sound like much but it is gigantic.

Thanks,
Sid

Anyone ever have luck finding a drop in replacement battery thru NAPA?

EDIT* Napa does have a direct replacement. It is not an AGM version though. I asked if they had one that could be used in its place and they said no.

The napa P/N is PSB 16ALA2

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=PSB16ALA2_0247340976

Would much prefer AGM but they don't have one and I get a killer deal thru our Napa account at work so I ordered it and will try it out.

Maybe next time I will go for a bigger one and cut the battery box. They do have some larger, sealed batteries. They are about 1" wider.

Got the UB12180 universal battery in the mail, a very big difference in cranking power vs whatever crap I took out.

However, its actually smaller than the one I took out. What do you guys do to prevent it from sliding left and right in the battery box?

Ive searched but can't find anything on the motobatt mb16au. Has anyone tried this? It is a 230cca agm 20.5ah drop in replacement. $93 at impactbattery.com

Back