vmax colors by year

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn kloker

Reaction score
I am considering buy a new faux cover and fenders in a different color from Yamaha
With the vmoa discount I have heard they are not that pricey.
Where can you find all the colors for the different years? TIA Shawn

shawn kloker said:
I am considering buy a new faux cover and fenders in a different color from Yamaha
With the vmoa discount I have heard they are not that pricey.
Where can you find all the colors for the different years? TIA Shawn

I looked it up for a black 98.its $558 for the three pieces from bike bandit wich is full retail.Most painters will charge that much to paint them or more.This is not university's price.I will try to get that.

Lets See - not sure I will get these all correct

1985 - 2 colors to pick from - Burgundy or a kind of Purple
1986 - Maroon
1987 - ask the Canada guys
1988/1989 - Red with Black Scoops
1990 - "Shiny Black" which is actuall black with blue metal flake in it (very beautiful color)
1991 - Metallic Black (black with silver flake)
1992 - Metallic Red (darker red - probably the nicest looking color scheme)
1993 - Purplish Blue
1994 - Metallic Yellow
1995 - Orangish Red
1996 - Black or Silver?
1997 - Black or Silver?
1998 - Black
1999-2002 Carbon Fiber
2003-2004 Flat Black with silver stripes
2005 - Metallic Red with Flames (lid is very expensive)
2006 - Black with Red Flames (lid is very expensive)

I was going to suggest looking at each year in the parts manual to find the colors. There is a carbon fiber set on eBay right now #4638360009. Starting bid is $200

Last edited:
Wow,thanks Sean!I did price an 06 faux tank cover it was $573. ouch,the 05 is probably the same.

There was a website (maybe Ingos?) that had a picture of every year VMax. I'd like to get a copy of that page so I could post it here.:angry flame devil:

maleko89 said:
I'll take mine in pink. :)
Uh Oh! We just completed a "ladies" bike. It's an 86 and we painted the body set black faded into pink. The covers are pink and black too.

We did some pocket porting, added a hindle 4-1 (old style), one of our jet kits, lightened flywheel, and some other misc stuff. The bike really runs good and we'll see what it pulls on the dyno.

Anyway, I haven't gotten any pics yet. We're waiting to do them a seat (pink and black) and then they will almost be done.

Later,
Sean Morley

Lets See - not sure I will get these all correct

1985 - 2 colors to pick from - Burgundy or a kind of Purple
1986 - Maroon
1987 - ask the Canada guys
1988/1989 - Red with Black Scoops
1990 - "Shiny Black" which is actuall black with blue metal flake in it (very beautiful color)
1991 - Metallic Black (black with silver flake)
1992 - Metallic Red (darker red - probably the nicest looking color scheme)
1993 - Purplish Blue
1994 - Metallic Yellow
1995 - Orangish Red
1996 - Black or Silver?
1997 - Black or Silver?
1998 - Black
1999-2002 Carbon Fiber
2003-2004 Flat Black with silver stripes
2005 - Metallic Red with Flames (lid is very expensive)
2006 - Black with Red Flames (lid is very expensive)

Thanks for this list "One2Dmax"! I am proud owner of a new to me 1985 Vmax. The ownership says it's "Blue"...it looks kind of purpleish blue to me. My buddy says it's not an original colour as they were only black and burgundy but now I know that it is! Thanks! He owes me a beer.

Seems like that 85 color was labeled Amethyst by Mother Yamaha, if what you have there is still the OEM paint.

Back