VMAX Engine in race car?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax powered

Reaction score
I am building a small tube frame track day car and will be putting a motorcycle engine in it. Obviously the vmax engine would be a great choice from a power standpoint. However, I will need to convert it to chain drive. The simplest way would be turning it sideways and putting a sprocket on the shaft. I am a little concerned about whether the stock bearing support is sufficiently close to the end of the shaft to handle this side load though. I found a diagram of the middle gear and it looks like there are 2 bearings supporting that shaft but it isn't clear from the diagram how near the end of the shaft the 2nd bearing is. Does anyone know a meausrement for how near that 2nd bearing is to the end of the shaft? I figure it's possible to add an additional bearing in some way but that could get complicated.

Has anyone else tried this method or seen it done? I am open to other ways of converting it to chain drive that are relatively simple and not too expensive if anyone has a suggestion.

Yes. This has been done. A chain drive and then set into a mini sprint chassis. I have also seen a Vmax engine installed into a small MG type car.

Latest posts

Back