Vmax enthusiast - need your help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up until the UK left the EU (Jan 2000) the Type Approval regulations were harmonised (Regulation (EU) 168/2013 refers) and as far as I can establish
has retained the direct principal EU Regulation.
The only change that would need to be made to the motorcycle is changing the speedo to read m.p.h. and modify the headlamp so it dips correctly for UK use.
Thanks a ton..

Welcome anytime! It would be like a real wonder if we find 2 of them same time, dont you think? What I will do (maybe its also for you) when this homoligation engineer is doing my rims - I will ask him about details to get an US/Canadian VMax over here and registered legally.

As @02GF74 wrote, I can only ask for EC, not for UK. But I am quite sure, these differences might be minor. According to @MaxMidnight if its an US VMax, the speedo would be mph anyways. However Im totally relaxed and ready to mingle for a "group buy" :D
Got it. Thanks again.

Before I import my Vmax 1700 2009model in 2020 with only 2200km I went to traffic station and ask them if it will be possible to import a Vmax 1700 from US. They said if I import from US, I will never be able to get it registered in Norway. But if I import from a EU country it will be easy if bike is already registered in a EU country.
Recommend you to go to your traffic station where you have to register your bike and ask them before you import so you don`t end up with an imported bike you are not able to get registered in UK.

I find my bike in Netherland on marktsplaats.nl and there was an office near sellers house where we delivered in old number plate and they make all paper for export. When I came back it was so easy to get Norwegian number plate.

I take ferry from my city to Denmark. Pick up a van I ordered before I travel and drive through Denmark, Germany and one hour into Netherland. Drive back next day and deliver van in Denmark and drive bike onboard ferry and go home.
It was a very nice trip and experience;-)

As with most things, it ultimately boils down to time and money:
How soon do you want it?
How much are you willing to pay after deciding on spec and condition?

A quick look on howmanyleft.co.uk indicates there is 1 taxed and 80 odd on SORN - not sure if I believe that since there has only ever been 1 taxed but what I do glean from that is there are not many registered in the UK, guessing 100 or so... that seems to be confirmed by the small number of gen 2bikes for sale (currenlty 1 across all channels) c.f. to gen 1 where there are up to 24 taxed and 500 odd on SORN, typically about 10 for sale at any time.

The easiest option would be to buy one registered in the UK but as above, you may have to wait, anybody's guess how long before the "one" turns up. You could put "wanted" adds on websites: gumtree, ebay, mcn etc.

So you would need to widen the net so look for it outside the UK.
Two routes here depending on whether you are willing to part with a significant sum of cash (£12-15k) buying something unseen or see it before buying.

Buying at a distance unseen has huge risks - you can mitigate that by letting an importer do the viewing and buying for you - I already posted details of 2 - they will deal with shipping, import duties and import paperwork etc. Can't see why you can contact them with your requirements.

The alternative is to look at buying from Europe, take a look at autoscout24.com.
Right now there are 13 listed, mostly in France, Netherlands and Germany. Either hire a van or trailer and make the trip over or arrange insurance and ride it back. I don't know if there are import duties involved or it's a simple and cheap task of getting it registered in UK.

The last option is to import it yourself - unless you know what is involved, this is likely to take the longest, be the most stressful and involve hidden costs unless you have done all the homework. The risk here is ofcourse you have not seen the bike, are unlikley to know the seller so won't know if you will receive it.

As with most things, it ultimately boils down to time and money:
How soon do you want it?
How much are you willing to pay after deciding on spec and condition?

You are 100% right!

Living here in Austria, I am quite experienced importing vehicles of any kind from EC to my place. Its all about to fidn the right item at the right time.
My last 3 cars for example, I bought after a testride (travelling there was like a holidays) used them 3-4 years and still could sell them more expensive here than I paid. The one Im using now... hahaha. Bought it last March and if I sell it right now - with all the crisis and special time we are in - I could nearly get double.

For example the one Gen 2 listed in this nice forum.. could be a good deal.

The Gen 1 I bought was from Vienna - and since it has only 2 owners and always in garage - I sent a friend to inspect it and bought it streight away. It was a good deal.

My friend Jens is once a year for 3 months in US, making holidays and purchasing usually 1 caravan or old school bus. He is then shipping this monsters to Europe and there is more than enough place inside the bus to put my Gen2 inside. So literelly zero cost for me.

Lets see. Im deeply in love with my Gen 1, not drove it for more than 3miles yet. Time will tell.

Before I import my Vmax 1700 2009model in 2020 with only 2200km I went to traffic station and ask them if it will be possible to import a Vmax 1700 from US. They said if I import from US, I will never be able to get it registered in Norway. But if I import from a EU country it will be easy if bike is already registered in a EU country.
Recommend you to go to your traffic station where you have to register your bike and ask them before you import so you don`t end up with an imported bike you are not able to get registered in UK.

I find my bike in Netherland on marktsplaats.nl and there was an office near sellers house where we delivered in old number plate and they make all paper for export. When I came back it was so easy to get Norwegian number plate.

I take ferry from my city to Denmark. Pick up a van I ordered before I travel and drive through Denmark, Germany and one hour into Netherland. Drive back next day and deliver van in Denmark and drive bike onboard ferry and go home.
It was a very nice trip and experience;-)
Thanks so much for that information 🙏

Absolutely wise suggestions. Thanks for that. Will check up on the website mentioned

You are 100% right!

Living here in Austria, I am quite experienced importing vehicles of any kind from EC to my place. Its all about to fidn the right item at the right time.
My last 3 cars for example, I bought after a testride (travelling there was like a holidays) used them 3-4 years and still could sell them more expensive here than I paid. The one Im using now... hahaha. Bought it last March and if I sell it right now - with all the crisis and special time we are in - I could nearly get double.

For example the one Gen 2 listed in this nice forum.. could be a good deal.

The Gen 1 I bought was from Vienna - and since it has only 2 owners and always in garage - I sent a friend to inspect it and bought it streight away. It was a good deal.

My friend Jens is once a year for 3 months in US, making holidays and purchasing usually 1 caravan or old school bus. He is then shipping this monsters to Europe and there is more than enough place inside the bus to put my Gen2 inside. So literelly zero cost for me.

Lets see. Im deeply in love with my Gen 1, not drove it for more than 3miles yet. Time will tell.
Nice one. Ask Jen to buy a bus for herself in UK too, i'll get my gen 2 as well haha

If you are still looking, there are 2 listed on ebay £16 and £22 k, under 1800 miles but nevertheless still quite eye-watering price.

Hi all,

I am in UK and absolutely love the way Vmax looks and performs. However I just found out that they have stopped selling it in UK due to Euro 4 restrictions in 2020.

Now, if i somehow import it from US or Canada, would I be allowed to import it as we have this euro 4 restrictions here. I would love to import it from Japan directly where its manufactured if its going to be cheaper for me but not sure where to look, please help.

Also, what happens to the bikers who already have the bike but now the restrictions have come up.

Lastly, i love the latest black 2020 model, do you know when was this model initially launched? was it from 2015 or 2016? I prefer the new style of how it looks compared to the old one, love the all blacked one.

i am new to this bike so perhaps some of you kind gents and ladies perhaps could help me understand the issues I have mentioned above.

Many thanks
Mines older but was imported from Japan in December by DK. I bought it before the registration came through but there was no problem.

Back