Vmax fuel issue...maybe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were you I’d stop listening to everybody and find out whether or not you actually have a problem or you’re just experiencing a power loss from the cobras. Because if you have an actual problem your exhaust is not causing it so it’s not gonna go away.
Want to-know how your bike runs on three cylinders?

Install a set of Cobras.

Because taking a stock VMax, and adding a set of Cobra 4/4's, will make your bike run like it's on 3 cylinders.

Last edited:
So it idles fine and runs fine with the throttle wide open?

Maybe a needle issue. Try shimming the needle up a bit. You don't need to remove the carbs and cost is minimal.

but here’s my issue. I get it and it doesn’t fix it. That’s a $700 mistake. Unless I can sell the Cobras. They’re gorgeous

1. You'll have about the best exhaust setup available for your bike, so it's not a waste.

2. You have Cobra's on your bike. We all KNOW that is a problem. It is NOT FIXABLE without getting rid of the Cobra's.

Your only other alternative is to find someone selling a factory system cheap and buy it and slap it on and ride.

A Stage 1 Dynojet kit is not a good choice. Stage 7 is a good choice, or the Morley's Muscle kit [email protected]

The Stage 1 kit is problematic. Use the search function to have an hour's-worth of fun seeing how they are a poor choice for the VMax. However, the Dynojet Stage 7 kit, which needs a full aftermarket exhaust of proper design, and definitely not a Cobra 4 into 4 is a good one. I use a partial Stage 7 kit, I do not eliminate the VBoost; I have a UFO 4/1 with a custom canister exhaust.

Yes dropping 1 or 2 main jet sizes (150, 147.5 Mikuni) usually helps performance of a VMax. Dynojet main jet numbers are higher-numerically for an equivalent to Mikuni size. Use the search engine here to get that info for exact #'s.

A Stage 1 Dynojet kit is not a good choice. Stage 7 is a good choice, or the Morley's Muscle kit [email protected]

The Stage 1 kit is problematic. Use the search function to have an hour's-worth of fun seeing how they are a poor choice for the VMax. However, the Dynojet Stage 7 kit, which needs a full aftermarket exhaust of proper design, and definitely not a Cobra 4 into 4 is a good one. I use a partial Stage 7 kit, I do not eliminate the VBoost; I have a UFO 4/1 with a custom canister exhaust.

Yes dropping 1 or 2 main jet sizes (150, 147.5 Mikuni) usually helps performance of a VMax. Dynojet main jet numbers are higher-numerically for an equivalent to Mikuni size. Use the search engine here to get that info for exact #'s.
Hi, I owned a 1996 Vmax and installed Holeshot performane full 4 into 2 exhaust. I jetted the carb. 3 sizes larger on mains and 2 sizes larger on pilots. It ran rich but hauled as! Gas mileage dropped to 25mpg though.

Hi, I owned a 1996 Vmax and installed Holeshot performane full 4 into 2 exhaust. I jetted the carb. 3 sizes larger on mains and 2 sizes larger on pilots. It ran rich but hauled as! Gas mileage dropped to 25mpg though.
Wrong direction on your jetting (if the floats were set to spec). You needed one to two sizes SMALLER mains and no change to the pilots are needed.

Latest posts

Back