VMax fuel mileage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastatv

Reaction score
I know this is going sound a little nuts, but I've checked the mpg on my Max probably half a dozen times. Here's what's weird to me. I often ride around in the area of my home...backroads with lakes, creeks, an orchard here and there...usually running 35 40 mph..tops, stop signs here and there but not a great deal of them ( relaxing to me ), never get over 3k rpms. Anyway, I have consistantly averaged 30 t0 32 mpg with this riding style ( I was expecting 40 mpg or better ). When I go for the longer rides, 60 mph, 70, pop 100 or better every now and then ( hell raising as I call it ), bike averages 37 to 38 mpg. Is this common? :ummm:

At higher rpm your on your main jets. These bikes are really rich below 3500 or at least most the dyno charts I've seen show this.

I went for a 22 mile ride today, normal riding and a couple times over 100. When I got home, I topped it off with 1.5 gallons....:bang head:
One of the floats was stuck and I was pressed for time so, I rode it until it cleared out. That was at about 13 miles.

VMax's are happier being ridden moderately hard and this is where you'll get good mileage... Moderately Hard are the key words...

It does sound strange. What mods do you have on the bike...pipes, jetting...or is everything stock?

I've heard this quite a few times before, my max will get over 45 if driven the speed limit 55 - 65, and hi 30's if driven slower.

Just as an experiment, run a gear or two lower on your next ride....see what that does for the mileage.

Yes! So far it sounds like this bike was definitely not made to pussyfoot around on, but rather for funning on. Bwahaha!

At higher rpm your on your main jets. These bikes are really rich below 3500 or at least most the dyno charts I've seen show this.

If operation above 3500 is required for better fuel mileage, I will have to reconsider my thoughts about installing a Venture pumpkin, which by all accounts lowers the rpm by 500, in all gears.
I usually travel at legal speeds - 100-120 kph - in 5th gear. I would have thought that a Venture pumpkin would IMPROVE mileage. Comments from those with the Venture mod.????????????? Cheers

I just got back from a 2900 mile trip from the Sacramento area through Glacier Park in Montana, into Canada, and back down through Washington and Oregon. Kept records of gas taken at each stop to get total for entire trip. Average = 42.79 for the trip. This was a combination of desert and mountain riding, but we stayed pretty close to legal speeds.

Having a Vmax for milage is like being married to a model & not having sex ! Have fun with it & screw the milage.

I gotta agree with this comment.

I have had Venture guys ask me about my mileage with what I have done to my bike. When the flashy icon comes on the dash I know my mileage is about used up.

I haven't turned this thing into a VMax with a full fairing and saddlebags with any thoughts to mileage. If dyno looks good in a few weeks, I'll be happier than a priest at alter boy summer camp !!

Gary

Having a Vmax for milage is like being married to a model & not having sex ! Have fun with it & screw the milage.
Yep...I don't really care about the consumption, just thought it was backwards from everything else I've ever owned and wanted to know if others were similar. Every other car, bike, boat....whatever...got better mileage when driven mildly...the Max is the first ICE that I have owned that went the oppisite direction in regards to fuel consumtion. Seems if you run it a bit on the hard side, gets better mileage....just weird. :ummm: Rick

Yep...I don't really care about the consumption, just thought it was backwards from everything else I've ever owned and wanted to know if others were similar. Every other car, bike, boat....whatever...got better mileage when driven mildly...the Max is the first ICE that I have owned that went the oppisite direction in regards to fuel consumtion. Seems if you run it a bit on the hard side, gets better mileage....just weird. :ummm: Rick

I have Vgas carbs with a Kerker 4-1 and it's funny reading this because last weekend I for the first time checked my mileage and the first tank I ran somewhat normal but did let it fly a few times on some open back roads and when I filled up it was 34.6 mpg then next tank I just cruised easy around locally and when I filled up again it was 29 mpg! It shocked me that running it harder definitely seemed to get better mileage. So wtf? But honestly I have and never had any concern for mileage I have this bike for performance. And across the board I'd bet others would agree. If it was mileage as a major concern we'd all be on a frickin Prius forum. So call me what you will, I'm just not playing politics with these asshole oil companies. I don't care what I ride to enjoy not save. Ed

Went on a nice ride this weekend, nothing huge but constant 55-60 MPH though eastern PA. Averaged 42 mpg.

Other than a Marks exhaust, my motor is stock.

Last summer I got 42-44 but in Canada I got 48. Does Canada dilute their gas with ethanol , or is it good ole real gas?

I bought my '07 brand new in Oct of '08. I've tracked the mileage for every tank I've bought since, and now have 23,000 miles on it. Everything is stock, except for that part I added a Sasy controller so I can boost her whenever I want (read that = fun). I probably fall in the ride moderately hard category. With the wife on the back I putter around. By myself I touch over a 100 mph on the deserted back roads nearly every ride.
I don't drag race it though.
My average is right on 37 mpg. Highest was 46, lowest was 26. But 95% of the numbers are between 34 and 39.

Back