vmax in a sportbike chassis

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5magics

Reaction score
I just recently bought a 85 vmax engine in its frame and was wondering if it possible to mount the engine in a sportbike frame. I was thinking maybe a busa or r1 frame. I tried to search the forums for this but it wouldnt work. I searched all over the web and could find nothing. The frame the engine came in looks a little bent and i thought a sportbike chassis would be cool since I have never seen one. If anyone has ever done this info would be cool.

Fitment will be a very big problem due to the rear cylinders. By the time you hang the engine and shift it forward far enough to clear the rear section your front end will hit the front cylinders.

There are a couple of companies out there that have build custom aluminum frames - like Spondon (probably not spelled right).

Sean

I just recently bought a 85 vmax engine in its frame and was wondering if it possible to mount the engine in a sportbike frame. I was thinking maybe a busa or r1 frame. I tried to search the forums for this but it wouldnt work. I searched all over the web and could find nothing. The frame the engine came in looks a little bent and i thought a sportbike chassis would be cool since I have never seen one. If anyone has ever done this info would be cool.

Pretty interesting concept, though.........A one-off for sure....keep us up to date on what you find.......

yea i have a really cool concept in my head but i could definitely see a problem with making the motor fit considering how inline fours are mounted in their chassis'.

Put it in a chopper. Oops did I say that?

Try to look with honda vfr 800 or suzuki tl100 as they're v shaped engines.

V-max frame is quite ok, lightweigt as for an steel frame.
Im not sure that whole idea is worth of that.

You could sell one of us the engine and buy a sport bike...:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Welcome to the VMF.

dude mount it in a cruiser frame!!! so cool

I have a '94 Magna that's rapidly approaching 100k miles. If it goes south anytime soon, I've thought about transplanting the engine from my '85 Max with only 23k on it into the Magna frame. The Magna is such a sweet handling bike, with the power of the Max in it, I think it would be the ideal cruiser.

The engine will fit in a 1st gen Venture with no modifications.

I can out handle any HD with my venture. They have a mono rear shock with a low mount fuel tank under the seat.

I have essentially put a VMax power plant in my Venture. Used a 1300cc Venture block, Vmax heads, soon to be a Vboost, with an FJR rear end (similar to VMax rear end).

It isn't a VMax quick, but it will out run a stage 4 HD 1550cc Dyna. With the Vboost I will be right there with the HD VRods.

Gary

PICT0403s.jpg

Is it me or does that Venture look like it needs some scoops on it?

You will need the vmax intakes. I see you still have the venture intakes. We discussed this a bit already but wasn't sure what you had until I saw the pics. Looks like fun for sure!

Sean

Put it in a chopper. Oops did I say that?

Dude that was one of the first emails i sent to Sean M. I hadnt gotten a Vmax yet and was wondering if anyone had put one in a ProStreet Chopper. I could tell by the reply he was laughing behind the screen. lol. but he was nice and provided some info. Ive seen a few since then.

I was going to do this some time ago. I have a FJR swing somewhere in the garage mess.
That could be done but with heavily modified gas tank.
from what i remember the fjr has a short axle, as in not going all the way thru the frame, and an exposed corner/knuckle. that's a biggest problem i can see...
i was actually thinking of making a one off alu swingarm using parts of other arms...

When I said the bike had an FJR rear end, I meant it had the Final Drive (pumpkin).

This is a direct interchange with the venture rear end, with the exception of adding a .025" spacer between the swing arm & the pumpkin.

What do you Vmaxers do to get a wider tire on rear. Venture limit is
140/90-16 71H. This is on a 1st gen. Bike is officially an 83 by birth.

Below is a decent picture of FJR rear end on bike, bike is only 2/3 assembled though.

Gary

PICT5521s.jpg

Last edited:
Back