VMAX jump distance record

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85 MAX-fan

Reaction score
Hello all!
Been quite awhile since I’ve posted. With winter approaching I’ve decided to pull the cover off of Skyshot and go through her to take stock of what needs to be done to get her back into shape to make another attempt at the World Record distance jump. Anyone have the current VMAX jump distance record?
Who has the title? Year? Jump details? This is only for Gen1 of course....
:cheers::cheers::punk::confused2::ummm::punk:

LOL, no idea. I'm guessing maybe only 30 feet? Then again Mark and I had a very long unintended jump in PA some years ago. More like the ground fell out from us into a deep valley that wasn't seen until the last second. Probably got 50-100' out of that one (not much height - just a long way down).

Well I'll be darned, a voice from the midwest! Glad to hear you're going for another shot at the title...been working on something I think you may be interested in. Got an injector system pretty well figured out that will eliminate almost all the weight of the fuel tank, lines, filter, fuel pump and best of all that heavy rack of carburetors. Basically involves 4 turkey basters, a little duct tape and some cable ties....we can talk about it at the convention next month. :blink000:

Unofficially, of course there is a road a few miles from where I live that is essentially a big hill. On one side coming down there are two big humps that can't be more than 100/150 feet apart. I invite anyone that has a hankering to launch off those humps to join me anytime. Similar to Sean's experience there isn't much height but I get 10/15 feet of air without much effort. Truly spirited launching and the numbers go up fast.

No ramp. Whack the throttle coming off the hump and soar down the hill. The next hump comes up quick and you do it again.

Can’t possibly see taking the world record that way. You’d need a ramp at the top of the first hill for sure. How did you set up your Max for jumping? Any wheel/tire/suspension modifications??

No ramp. Whack the throttle coming off the hump and soar down the hill. The next hump comes up quick and you do it again.

I'm witness to that...lol. Young guys! What are you gonna do? The old bastard behind him saw some air under the wheels too. Most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Steve-o

I'm used to getting air with four wheelers. Jumped a set of rail road tracks last year with my first gen. It's a little different on a heavy street bike. They don't come down with the grace of an off road suspension setup, and only weighing in at 400 pounds. I was unaware of a long distance jump with the first gen. It's not the getting off the ground that's a problem, it's the landing.

It sounds like your carb chains must have been loose to bend the float levels, keep them well adjusted! I'm guessing they won't be much help with the motor mounts though.

I hung a float at Thunder just coming down the ramp off my trailer a couple of years ago. The paint turned to mush in a pinch. I'll remember that when I want paint gone!

I'm used to getting air with four wheelers. Jumped a set of rail road tracks last year with my first gen. It's a little different on a heavy street bike. They don't come down with the grace of an off road suspension setup, and only weighing in at 400 pounds. I was unaware of a long distance jump with the first gen. It's not the getting off the ground that's a problem, it's the landing.
Oh, getting off the ground is where it’s all at. Can’t make the record without a real take off

"...getting off the ground...a real take off"

Yes, like Evel's Sky Cycle X2.

On September 8th, 1974, famous daredevil Evel Knievel climbed into a steam-powered rocket and attempted to blast across Idaho's Snake River Canyon.

Last edited:
Oh, getting off the ground is where it’s all at. Can’t make the record without a real take off

And I'm sure you would like to live to tell the tale. You could launch off the empire State building, but it's the landing that's gonna get ya. The first gen max weighs twice what my quad weighs. Plus the weight of the rider. Without a suspension upgrade, and frame stiffening it's not gonna be fun. Stock these bikes have the death wobble, im sure it'll show it's face on a landing. It's still allot of weight coming down on small forks, and shocks not meant for that abuse. My 97 didn't like landing off the RR tracks I launched it off, and I didn't get much air, but I know it left the ground. Rear setup was stock, all the front had was the progressive springs. It's a big bike to be launching. What's the distance on a Goldwing??

Back