Vmax lower end torque boost??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhader

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

new to the forum.

I have a 2000 Vmax that I picked up last year low kms (15k kms now that I added 5 or 6 to it this season)

The bike needed a bit of work as it had been in storage for 6 years.... So I have done the basics to it
- cleaned out the carbs, soaked them, cleaned them several times
- new filters
- KN filter
- changed all fluids - oil a few times of course...
- exhaust was rotted due to sitting so I added a UFO 4 to 1 which is very nice!
- new rubber and such of course...

All in All the bike is very very smooth and has some pretty good power! wheelies in first pretty quick.

But I was looking to add a 'little' bit of power in the lower range... or overall....

Any other suggestions with out going hugely over board?? The bike is my daily driver during the pallatable months here in Canada.... So not looking to put a supercharger or anything onto it. And I would potentially like to keep the fuel mileage where its at... roughly 185kms / tank.

I was thinking of a CAM upgrade - has anyone used these:

http://www.webcamshafts.com/mobile/motorcycle/yamaha/yamaha_v_max_1200_(85-99)_dohc_16v.html

or any other suggestions??

:confused2:

How much is a "little"? 5-10hp? I could not tell you about the cams, but maybe a nitrous spray is an option.

I don't know of anyone who makes aftermarket motorcycle cams specifically to increase low-end power only. They typically increase mid-to-upper end power.

As a side note: For 20 years I owned a shop re-manufacturing turbochargers, and we did a fair amount of custom work. We found that we could get a wider range of power by going to a milder cam, rather than a high-performance cam. In many cases, when adding a turbo to a car, we got extremely good results by using a cam for the same size engine from a truck with a 2-bbl carb. Those cams are typically ground to give good low-end grunt, and the turbo took care of the mid and high end. A great combination.

by a 'little' - I dont think I want to go to using nitrous or anything.

but a cam thaht changes an overall mid range is a possibility.... As Mtn Max mentioned I think I am looking at something like a milder cam for instance....

I have not yet changed any of the jets or done anything there - so any suggestions on a jet kit for the bike that might add a little bit as well? While still managing to run well?

The most cost effeciant solution at this point would be to re-jet the carbs to get the most out of your current exhaust setup, beyond that you're looking at opening the engine up to get a more substantial gain in power..................Tom.

Our jet kit or stage seven. Beyond that you do need to get into the engine. We have a drop in cam available but for any real gain you need to get different pistons with more relief cut for a larger cam.

Another option would be to get one of our stroker cranks. Get a little more stroke out of the crank and also more compression with the stock pistons. We'll need to get thicker head gaskets to also get back some of the valve clearance. This works well but expensive for a small gain again.

Sean

Our jet kit or stage seven. Beyond that you do need to get into the engine. We have a drop in cam available but for any real gain you need to get different pistons with more relief cut for a larger cam.

Another option would be to get one of our stroker cranks. Get a little more stroke out of the crank and also more compression with the stock pistons. We'll need to get thicker head gaskets to also get back some of the valve clearance. This works well but expensive for a small gain again.

Sean

At this point - I basically just want to pull more wheelies :biglaugh:

I will be saving any serious engine work - atleast until the season is over - so my best bet would be a jet kit - and maybe a drop in CAM.... something I can do in my down time....

I took a look at the Morleys site - which CAM would you recommend as a drop in solution?

The Morley jet kit will improve the low end and mid range along with the high end. I would suggest you try it.

A stock Max makes enough power to pull good wheelies, make sure your clutch is in good shape!.....................Tom.

Cool!

any one else one the Morley kit? or others?

I also have the stock airbox of course with an added KN filter - can I maintain the stock KN filter setup or would it be best to go with the full flat KN and alternate airbox with the Morley kit??

seeing as I just bought a KN filter... lol :bang head:

I have no problems riding wheelies through third gear on a stock wheel base and even stock exhaust vmax. The kit and header make it easier though.

Sean

Needs a good header and jet kit, then also need good traction (sticky tire). They don't come down as nicely though lol!

Eliminating the slip of the stock clutch will make it "feel" snappier and more responsive. Double up two stock springs, or get the PCW kit.

The butt dyno said that linking the two manifolds gave a slight boost in low end power. As in removing the sync port caps, putting a piece of hose between the right two, and linking the left two with a "T" fitting that ties into the vacuum advance sensor.

The idea is that this helps equalize vacuum. It also costs less than a dollar to do, takes around 5 minutes, and is entirely reversible.

This is a heavy bike and it's not famous for it's stability. Hard landings can easily damage the head bearings and your balls, so be careful.

I'd recommend you start with a PCW Clutch Spring or the DD Clutch Mod and see how you like that.
Either should make for easier wheelies.
Apparently the PCW is slightly tigher than mine and the DD is VERY Tight.
I just installed the Barnett Clutch Spring conversion Sunday and my 2000 Stocker wheelies MUCH easier in 1 and 2nd now.
I haven't tried in third but it still jumps a bit in all gears when the VBoost Kicks in.

Then if you still not happy, a Morleys Muscle kit will give you more power overall and should work well with your UFO 4-1 Exhaust.

You will get the most out of it by going with a full exhaust system and re-jetting/morley carb kit. When tuned right, you should be able to get more HP and the same or better mileage. Marks exhaust and Morleys jet kit will set you back appx. $1100. Or shop around and see if you can get a used system on the cheap.

I'd recommend you start with a PCW Clutch Spring or the DD Clutch Mod and see how you like that.
Either should make for easier wheelies.
Apparently the PCW is slightly tigher than mine and the DD is VERY Tight.
I just installed the Barnett Clutch Spring conversion Sunday and my 2000 Stocker wheelies MUCH easier in 1 and 2nd now.
I haven't tried in third but it still jumps a bit in all gears when the VBoost Kicks in.

Then if you still not happy, a Morleys Muscle kit will give you more power overall and should work well with your UFO 4-1 Exhaust.

Awesome!! thanks guys.

PS - any of you ride to Thunder in the Valley last weekend? I might have sen ya!

Back