Vmax MPG improvement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaos

Reaction score
Hi, I did some looking around the forum for mpg readings and such but one thing I did not find was how to tune the vmax for better fuel consumption. I know the way one rides is important but the previous owner had the carbs tuned for better performance, I am not interested in this performance boost and id prefer the mpg savings as its already a beast of a bike. How would I go about the tuning process? Is this something a professional does?

You will get your best fuel economy with a full header, appropriate carb kit like my preference Morley’s Muscle Jet Kit or a stage 7 and fine tuning your af screws. Don’t forget we get our best overall mpg at right around triple digits.

I know of a guy who unplugged the vboost controller in the closed position for a long interstate ride for better milage. Once to his destination he plugged it back in. Dont know if it works or not.

I entirely respect your query for better MPG. However I see a huge contradiction in doing that with a carburated muscle cruiser. No economy aids, no aerodynamic aids, no weight savings, etc. Why?

To me this is totally irrelevant for the target vehicle but I'd like to know your reasoning behind it.

I entirely respect your query for better MPG. However I see a huge contradiction in doing that with a carburated muscle cruiser. No economy aids, no aerodynamic aids, no weight savings, etc. Why?

To me this is totally irrelevant for the target vehicle but I'd like to know your reasoning behind it.
Well Personally I feel like it has plenty of power, If I can tweak it a bit to maximize the mpg then ill have a beast of a bike while saving a lil on gas, saw a post of people saying they can get 35-40mpg on the gen 1, I wanted to get mine up to that spec roughly.

IMO the best way is:
  1. Ensure that the machine is regularly serviced and setting maintained at optimum levels
  2. Reduce the weight the bike has to move (a.k.a. go on a diet!)
  3. Control the right wrist and anticipate traffic conditions to avoid the need for heavy braking or acceleration.
Other than the routine maintenance costs which you should be doing anyhow the rest is free.
Once you start to spend money on parts to reduce fuel consumption the cost/ benefit will probably remain negative for a long time before they start to pay off.

With OEM style equipment the only things to keep your MPG up is to keep it in top shape and carbs fully tuned, high tire pressure and good bearings, proper oil, friction control of rolling resistance. Bike and rider as lightweight as possible (loose anything else than veggies and water) and ride the bike as slow and highest gear possible with least resistance.

Would you buy a Vmax for this? Or should you buy something else maybe. Like teaching a Chevelle SS454 to be a fuckin' Prius.

Last edited:
i went all in for the 2005 gen1 knowing the mpg was not great. however, i've been averaging 47 mpg from new. it's all stock. so glad i don't have to stop at a gas station every 100 miles

i went all in for the 2005 gen1 knowing the mpg was not great. however, i've been averaging 47 mpg from new. it's all stock. so glad i don't have to stop at a gas station every 100 miles
Yea that’s what I’d love lol, I have to stop at the station every <100 miles

People choose their priorities. His is gas economy on a muscle bike. Flip the perspective & attempt to get better performance out of a Ford Pinto. That is possible, the Ford inline-4's ranged from 1.6 L. to 2 L. during the Pinto run. We had a new German Ford Capri SOHC 2 L. 4 speed at the same time we had a 4 cyl Pinto SOHC 2L. 4 speed & the Capri (sold by Lincoln/Mercury in the USA) was much more lively. Same era of EPA smog equipment.

The Pinto & Capri were inexpensive cars w/decent mileage & a 4 speed made them fun to drive.

I ride a VMax for the thrill of VBoost & not for economical transportation like good mileage. At 33 mpg I am happy.

I suspect a full fairing would help the most, besides a light wrist on the throttle.

People choose their priorities. His is gas economy on a muscle bike. Flip the perspective & attempt to get better performance out of a Ford Pinto. That is possible, the Ford inline-4's ranged from 1.6 L. to 2 L. during the Pinto run. We had a new German Ford Capri SOHC 2 L. 4 speed at the same time we had a 4 cyl Pinto SOHC 2L. 4 speed & the Capri (sold by Lincoln/Mercury in the USA) was much more lively. Same era of EPA smog equipment.

The Pinto & Capri were inexpensive cars w/decent mileage & a 4 speed made them fun to drive.

I ride a VMax for the thrill of VBoost & not for economical transportation like good mileage. At 33 mpg I am happy.

I suspect a full fairing would help the most, besides a light wrist on the throttle.
On that topic is there anyway I can check and know for sure my Vboost is working? I was told it kicks in around 6000RPMS yet I can hold it steady in that area and not notice a increase in power

On that topic is there anyway I can check and know for sure my Vboost is working? I was told it kicks in around 6000RPMS yet I can hold it steady in that area and not notice a increase in power
When you turn the ignition on, you will hear electric buzzing going "up and down" along with fuel pump pulsing. After, engine running, bike stationary, you rev the engine past 6k and look into the slide between the carbs from either side. It should move up.

I once adapted a modified V-Boost system to an old V8 car engine with 4 dual Weber downdrafts. It was a predecessor to T Boost, adjustable. Worked very well but was outlawed after first race.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get too hung up on fuel consumption unless it is significantly less that what is considered 'normal'...whatever that is.
IMO riding style and habits are the biggest factor so rather than throw any money at the bike careful analysis of how you ride can pay dividends.
Some reading here on factors to consider.

If you want to reduce fuel consumption so you don't need to refill as often or go further between fill then get a larger tank.
I can get in the region of 140 miles between fill ups with mine.
You can still enjoy the performance should you choose without sacrificing too much range. :)

I get 40 MPG with my 05 with wife and I on it all the time. Roughly 350 pounds of crap on the seat but I only cruz through the back county roads for enjoyment. Never on it without the wife except to get it inspected cuz it is to cold for her to get on it. Vboost does get kicked in once in awhile and an unexpected wheel left when getting away from a vehicle coming up behind to fast when I pull out in traffic.

Last edited:
The easiest way to wheelie a Vmax is to carry a passenger and have an enthusiastic throttle hand but be careful!

Back