2nd Gen VMAX VMAX Newbie.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
VMax Year
2010 VMax
Hi All, I just picked up a 2010 Vmax a couple months ago and have had a shit eating grin on my face ever since, Holy shit this thing is fun! Stupid fun! biggest challenge is avoiding speeding tickets. Little history: have ridden bikes all my life motocrossed until i was about 30, I have a 1090 R Adventure bike a 690 R that i dual sport on and i have a passion for old Vintage Dirt bikes, all stuff from my era 78 through mid 80's, i like to restore them, have about 14.
I will post some pics of the Vmax, since i purchased it i have changed the color from Red to Mat black, took the Cat and Mufflers off of it and put the Dominator mufflers on it, sounds Pissed off. I then noticed i had some clutch slippage so i did the extra Spring up grade sold at Guru, That fixed that problem immediately, All this stuff i learned from this forum so wanted to thank everyone for the great advice.

Is your 'max Gurued, or are you planning to? Definitely worth the time and effort, just like the clutch mod you did. Did you know anything about these bikes before you picked yours up...or was it more spontaneous?

I had heard that these bikes were famous for big power and have wanted one for many years loved the looks of the Gen 1 bikes and thought the Gen 2 was even cooler. i had been looking for one on Craigslist for years and finally came across this 2010, had only 14,000 miles on it and was clean. as far as the ECU, the previous owner installed an aftermarket Yamaha ECU that i know nothing about, The bike runs strong! especially after removing the Cat, only thing i noticed is the Bike pops a little on the deceleration like its running lean, I was thinking about taking it to a tuner and have them run it on a Dyno and see what he can do with it.

Attachments

• Vamax.jpg
    Vamax.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Looks good! Glad you didn’t black out the scoops. Enjoy! Edit. If you have the Yamaha race ECU hang on to it!

I agree with you on the Scoops, They really jump out at you being silver, I find myself out in the shop staring at it like a new born child.. then my wife comes out and ruins it.. LOL.. I will have to look up the part numbers on the Yamaha ECU, i know its not the original because i have it in a bag of parts he gave me, The bike comes on like a light switch in regards to power, but like i was saying it pops on the Decel like it's lean.

So i found the box of extras that came with the Vmax i just bought and the original owner did install Competition ECU in the bike, Part # 2S3-H5B0-V0, The OEM ECU is in the box, Because of the popping on Decel, i'm thinking i need to do a little exploring to make sure the air Box is modified and the K&N filter is actually done , also wondering about if the AIS ports to the cylinder head have been capped off? also wondering if i schould just send the stock ECU to Guru and get it flashed? sounds like that is the Golden ticket, have not seen much information about Yamha's Competition ECU on here, does anyone know much about them?

If you search I posted some links to a dyno run with it and a video that Tim did when he got one...

Thanks for pointing me in that direction, good information, looks like it definitely made a difference. Like i was saying i think i need to spend some time exploring the bike to what all was done to it, i may still end up send ing my stock ECU to Tim to get it flashed.

Hi All, I just picked up a 2010 Vmax a couple months ago and have had a shit eating grin on my face ever since, Holy shit this thing is fun! Stupid fun! biggest challenge is avoiding speeding tickets. Little history: have ridden bikes all my life motocrossed until i was about 30, I have a 1090 R Adventure bike a 690 R that i dual sport on and i have a passion for old Vintage Dirt bikes, all stuff from my era 78 through mid 80's, i like to restore them, have about 14.
I will post some pics of the Vmax, since i purchased it i have changed the color from Red to Mat black, took the Cat and Mufflers off of it and put the Dominator mufflers on it, sounds Pissed off. I then noticed i had some clutch slippage so i did the extra Spring up grade sold at Guru, That fixed that problem immediately, All this stuff i learned from this forum so wanted to thank everyone for the great advice.
Hey T-Bone, Where did you purchase the Dominator Mufflers ?

I ordered them direct from Dominator, along with the Cat delete, was impressed with the fit and finish of the product! i also got the Decibel killers but ended up taking them out of the mufflers because it almost sounded kind of tinny if that makes since.. the bike is very loud! almost too loud, i never thought i would hear myself say that.
The price was less than half of what Akraprovic wanted and i know there product is good but not twice as good.
i have attached there website.

DOMINATOR Onlineshop - Sports Exhaust Systems

Ad·https://www.dominator.pl/exhaust

I have a 2015 Vmax and I’m dealing with major clutch slipping issues. I’m new and I bought the EBC FRICTION DISCS as well as A diaphragm spring and gaskets.
Is this all I need.?

My Vmax has 7000 miles on it and has had the power upgrades done to it before I purchased it.

I bought these, I’m hoping I didn’t get confused with the gen 1 Vmax mod compared to the gen 2

Attachments

• 89CAE4DB-71F5-4BDE-8C43-9DCBE1969204.png
    89CAE4DB-71F5-4BDE-8C43-9DCBE1969204.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 8EA9C242-6D30-4818-A5FA-221B45C7CD73.png
    8EA9C242-6D30-4818-A5FA-221B45C7CD73.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back