Vmax Outlaw Fan Switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkunert

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Vmax Outlaw fan switch. I just put one in, and it seems to come on very early (a bit over a quarter on the temp gauge).

I know of a few max's around here with them.They do come on early and they stay on till the bike is shut off and cooled down.This is why I just put on a manual bypass toggle switch.I can turn it off or on anytime I want.

Yes it still comes on as needed and it is just basically a jumper.I wired my toggle right to the leads of the temp switch and mounted the toggle up by the key switch on the plastic housing.

Looks like I wasted $40. I don't think the Outlaw piece is needed in MN, except for a few weeks. If it came on after the midpoint, I think it'd be o.k., but it comes on about a quarter inch short of the midpoint on the temp gauge. You might as well have the fan come on and stay on.

If either of you think of it, and have a few minutes, could you send me a pic of the switch you mounted? ([email protected]). No big deal if you can't. I'd just like to get an idea of what other people are doing.

Another option is going to Napa and getting a Borg Warner TFS545. Re-use your stock o-ring. It doesn't come on nearly as soon as the VMO switch.

mkunert said:
Looks like I wasted $40. I don't think the Outlaw piece is needed in MN, except for a few weeks. If it came on after the midpoint, I think it'd be o.k., but it comes on about a quarter inch short of the midpoint on the temp gauge. You might as well have the fan come on and stay on.

If either of you think of it, and have a few minutes, could you send me a pic of the switch you mounted? ([email protected]). No big deal if you can't. I'd just like to get an idea of what other people are doing.
I would have to agree with you on the wasted $40. I wish we would/could have a topic here on this forum like on TV called "Myth Busters" where so many of the Max myth's could be discussed by all without the need to argue or paint somebody wrong.

Yamaha has tested this bike extensively and determined the heat range where it should run. On the temp gage where the rivet is, the thermostat opens up and where the red zone starts is where the fan turns on to cool it back down. This is the NORMAL heat range for this particular engine to perform. Back in the old days where a cooling fan ran off a belt and continuously, the thermostat controlled the heat of the engine. On vehicles with electric fan cooling, the fan only comes on when it reaches a certain temp determined by the sending unit as being in need of cooling. How many Maxes have you heard of boiling over? And what shape was the cooling system in on that bike? People can put all kinds of switches on, but running the bike below it's intended temperature is shortening the engine's life. IMHO

Mike, you missed me getting blasted on the tech list , they squealed like pigs with no one giving an intelligent answer.
they want people to just do what they say with out questioning the validity , and if you dare question you get blasted, called names then some bright spark comes and says the same thing I said and they all agree:)))
it is like the fedex commercial were the guy says ( you just said what I said but just did this and the guy answers no I did this)
I hope this forum stays away from that trash, if someone comes up with an idea or opinion a civilized discussion is the best way to go!
________
no2 vaporizer review

Last edited:
firefly said:
Mike, you missed me getting blasted on the tech list , they squealed like pigs with no one giving an intelligent answer.
they want people to just do what they say with out questioning the validity , and if you dare question you get blasted, called names then some bright spark comes and says the same thing I said and they all agree:)))
it is like the fedex commercial were the guy says ( you just said what I said but just did this and the guy answers no I did this)
I hope this forum stays away from that trash, if someone comes up with an idea or opinion a civilized discussion is the best way to go!

Sorry to hear that firefly. You know what they say.......if you go into the lion's den, you're going to get roared at. I quit both VMOA lists for good quite a while ago. They have just a few troublemakers that can't understand anything beyond their own knowledge so it must be bull. When one of the smartest amongst them claims that running an engine lean, will cool it and insists on that, what are you going to do? I was hoping you had enough with me getting on your back at times but NO, you have to keep going back for some real ass chewing.:confused2:

By the way, has anybody observed when the fan on the max comes on by looking at the temp gage? Not sure if mine ever came on since I avoid traffic like the plaque. PLUS, if you think your ride is getting hot in traffic when it gets near the red zone, think about the air cooled bikes that have no indication at all how hot the motor is when they are stuck in traffic with no air movement at all. At least you have a fan and coolant pump working for you.

Mine comes on almost to the top line. At that point, it's idling and running like crap, so I was trying to get it to stay cooler in the temp range. I try to avoid traffic as well, but get caught a half dozen or so times a year.

Mine comes on about the middle screw. Yes the fan runs a lot, especially summer. But no biggie if you have a strong charging system and do the recommended charging fixes.

Pfft, traffic. I so don't miss Dallas. Biggest traffic jam here is when some nutter parked his car on the train tracks and all of 30 cars decided to slow down for a look. I just filter and lane split through them. No worries about overheating then.

mkunert said:
Mine comes on almost to the top line. At that point, it's idling and running like crap, so I was trying to get it to stay cooler in the temp range. I try to avoid traffic as well, but get caught a half dozen or so times a year.
Adding a manual switch like some have is probably the best thing for you. That way you still run in the preferred zone and can switch on whenever you feel you have the need. It's cheap and simple to install.

Waylander said:
Pfft, traffic. I so don't miss Dallas. Biggest traffic jam here is when some nutter parked his car on the train tracks and all of 30 cars decided to slow down for a look. I just filter and lane split through them. No worries about overheating then.

with filtering/lane splitting the bike doesn't get a chance to heat up though when my bike was new it heated up almost to the red so I installed a nissan sentra 88 fan switch yes it kicks in early and the fan motor is overtaxed but the temp gauge never goes above the screw at any time.
some times LA summers get real hot but other wise the weather is perfect at least close to the ocean.
________
X16XE

Last edited:
firefly said:
with filtering/lane splitting the bike doesn't get a chance to heat up though when my bike was new it heated up almost to the red so I installed a nissan sentra 88 fan switch yes it kicks in early and the fan motor is overtaxed but the temp gauge never goes above the screw at any time.
some times LA summers get real hot but other wise the weather is perfect at least close to the ocean.
Not meaning to get on your case firefly but the factory set the temperature from the rivet on upward to the thin red line. This is the range the bike was engineered to run for it's longevity and best performance. Running it below the intended spread is like getting on it when it's not warmed up yet. If the present temp sending unit keeps it in a cooler range, there will be more wear on the engine than normal. Check with your master mechanics at the dealers. This is true of all liquid cooled bikes/engines. We all need to remember one simple fact with much of what goes around concerning the Max, if there aren't any/many dead bodies from these so called "problems", then it's not really a problem. Most of the so called problems stem from neglect and/or poor maintenance from the owners, previous and or present. The harder you ride it, the more TLC it needs.

mikemax04 said:
Not meaning to get on your case firefly but the factory set the temperature from the rivet on upward to the thin red line. This is the range the bike was engineered to run for it's longevity and best performance. Running it below the intended spread is like getting on it when it's not warmed up yet. If the present temp sending unit keeps it in a cooler range, there will be more wear on the engine than normal. Check with your master mechanics at the dealers. This is true of all liquid cooled bikes/engines. We all need to remember one simple fact with much of what goes around concerning the Max, if there aren't any/many dead bodies from these so called "problems", then it's not really a problem. Most of the so called problems stem from neglect and/or poor maintenance from the owners, previous and or present. The harder you ride it, the more TLC it needs.

Mike I understand what you say, but the bike is not over cooled at least with my riding, I am very aware of the importance of optimal operating temperature, I had a manual switch before but I did forget to turn it on several times so I opted to the Nissan switch , do you honestly think I should go back to the manual switch? it is not hard to put things back as before.I am with you that some times the fan kicks in when not needed.
between the manual switch and the nissan one I tried an adjustable switch sold at WC Whittny , I was happy with it but did not like the wires and the little box but looking back this WAS the best option and it was $19, it had a temp sensor you stick in the radiator fins (no harm) and connects to a 1.5 x 2inch box with an adjustable nob.
________
Ford Zephyr engine history

Last edited:
mikemax04,

You are right on with yor last statement! I agree 100%, no need to spend $40 on something that is not needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back