VMAX Question (NEWBI)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikingD

Reaction score
New to the forum, I am becoming a big fan of the Max. I don't have one Yet.
My qestion is about the frame twist and the handling of the max.
Is it really that big of a deal? Does the VMAX really handle that poorly or are we comparing it to the handling of a crotch rocket on cornering? Is it easy to upgrade and improve the handling? Being new to the max would I be better off to get a bone stock bike, ride it for a while and if I decide I need to, upgrade it? or start out with an improved suspension?
Thanks.
DW.

VikingD said:
New to the forum, I am becoming a big fan of the Max. I don't have one Yet.
My qestion is about the frame twist and the handling of the max.
Is it really that big of a deal? Does the VMAX really handle that poorly or are we comparing it to the handling of a crotch rocket on cornering? Is it easy to upgrade and improve the handling? Being new to the max would I be better off to get a bone stock bike, ride it for a while and if I decide I need to, upgrade it? or start out with an improved suspension?
Thanks.
DW.
Hi DW! :welcome_sign:

IMO, what you have written is correct, it handles poorly when compared to sport bikes and other good handling bikes. It also depends on how you are going to ride your VMax. If canyon carving and knee dragging is your style then you have to do suspension/wheel/frame mods but if you are just tearing around town and general cruising, then there is nothing wrong with a stock VMax. Note that most VMaxs don't stay stock for very long! :D

It's all relative. Compared to the bikes I had before the max it handles and breaks awesome (I was riding older XJ yamaha's). Compared to modern sportbikes it handles like crap. But of course you're trying to compare it to the worlds best handling machines.

Think of it as Arnold Swartznegger to Jet Li. One is crude and tough while the other is refined and sophisticated.

They can be made to handle better (so can the sportbikes) but when compared to other cruisers they hold thier own just fine.

Sean Morley

compared to other cruisers the bike handles fine. I think the big problem with the MAx is that it has always been compaired to sportbikes because of the performace numbers it puts out. Its no sportbike, but as far as cruisers go its just fine

In stock form the vmax handles and stops plenty good enough.I complain about the frame flex and shitty brakes because of the way that I personally ride mine.
I raced motocross for many years,Two speed boats that run both over 115mph,downhill skiing,now drag racing.I have been an adrenaline junkie most of my life and usually ride each time like it may be my last.I want to sky dive next but my wife doesn't think so.LOL!
I do not think that the vmax is a good starter bike for novice riders though,It has enough power and torque to get someone new in trouble real fast.
Buy one,ride it stock for awhile,get the feel for it then worry about making it faster and better handleing.
Don once told me that only a redneck would do exhaust and stage 7 before the forks and shocks and brakes.I still haven't done the brakes but its probably really stupid as I have had many close calls.Mark and Sean both saw that.

Shawn, good post. If I remember, you front tire was locked up. :) I hear Clark's eyes got pretty big when you were coming at him......that says enough, I didn't think anything scared Clark. LOL

Sean/Shawn, remember that highway that had that good jump? It ended up at a "T" intersection about 1/4 mile after the jump. I remember hitting that at about 115 and catching air. Good thing for Racetech setup, otherwise probably would have blown my fork seals! LOL

Look for a nice used one, pay no more than $5000, new is not worth $11000 especially when a new updated vmax is on the horizon, any new max now will loose more than 2/3rd of its value once the new comes on the market.
it is a clumsy bike but looks nice and has a reputation back in 1985 not now,
In stock form it is a reliable bike.
It is not a sports bike, not a cruiser and not fast BUT we love it each for a different reason, I like its skinny profile great for lane splitting no other bike can split lanes like it, It also has no resemblance to the retro style Harley's and the look alikes.
To me BMW is king with its tellilever front suspension , ABS linked brakes that actually stop when needed!
this is my 2 cents.
________
Ford Motor Company Philippines history

Last edited:
Now wait a second. Firefly says its not fast? I was under the impression that this was one of the fastest cruisers/musclebikes out there. Is that not correct? or is Firefly up in the night? The Maxs looks and Rep as a badass is what draws me to it.

Oh yeah, you did see correctly. I am the new Hexagon champion. :eusa_dance: (That translates as countless hours of boredom at work, I know you're all jealous:red ass: )

It all depends oh what you judge as fast.

Top Seed: Stop max is good for about 145mpg but has some slight stability issues up there. Can be corected, but obviously todays rice rockets are much faster

Acceleration: Fast, damn fast, but the big I4's are now faster. The Max does due a very good job at holding it's own though.

Keep in mind, nothng abuot the motor or gearing as really changed in 21 years. So far the only thing frm the cruiser realm that has come close to my max is my fathers Honda VTX. Off the line he's got me cold. He also has a shitload more tourque and fatter rear tire then I do. However, once I hit boost in 3rd, it's a new story and he can't catch back up. Keep in mind the VTX is also 1800cc's to the Max's 1200cc's. six hundered CC's is alot to give up in any engine configuration.

So the Max is still burly enough to hold it's own today and is still very respected. No one will call you a puss or a candy ass for pulling up on a Max.

However, (and I'm not saying you did this), picking a bike for it's rep soley is never a good idea. If ya like the looks and the bike seems to fit you well, then a few test rides are in order. If it's your first bike ever, you might want to start onsomethign a tad smaller first.

I say all of this because I don't know you or your history. So if you are an experienced rider, my appologies.

Calimus,I'd like to race a vtx1800 out of the hole!I think all he would see is me getting smaller right from the start.

VikingD said:
Now wait a second. Firefly says its not fast? I was under the impression that this was one of the fastest cruisers/musclebikes out there. Is that not correct? or is Firefly up in the night? The Maxs looks and Rep as a badass is what draws me to it.
You are correct in assuming that the Max is one of the fastest cruisers/muscle bikes out there. It was built for racing 21 years ago and can still flex it's muscles today. It's also one of the most dependable bikes out there unless those not in the know, start fiddling with it. Often a used Max has had a number of owners, not all who took good care of it, plus abused it. If I remember correctly, one chap was bragging that his Max does the quarter mile in something like 37 seconds when in reality most will cover it in about 11 seconds and change. The biggest problem this bike has is it's reputation for flaws/shortcomings that stem from neglect or lack of proper upkeep. But then this is true of all mechanical devices out there. If you get a good used Max, you'll have a tiger by the tail.....guaranteed.

maleko89 said:
Shawn, some of us have bias tires. :)

Bingo!! Also why I mentioned my father is running a fatty rear tire as well. Also, my max is bone stock, and he has played with the FI on his VTX a bit.

Not to mention, I don't have track/drag experience and my father dragged his v65 magna for several years when we lived up in NY.

So I'm willing to comp to the fact that experience has a major role as well.

Hey, Thanks for all the info. I have decided to get me a Max. I currently ride a 1980 Yamaha 850 special. I've outgrown it and think the VMax will be a good upgrade. I'm not gonna do any knee dragging or really going over 100 MPH very often so I thnk it is a good fit. I'm still gonna do some test riding as some have suggested, but I think I'm already a fanatic. I'm sure I'll be asking some more questions about upgrades and what not in the future. For now. Thanks to all who shared info.
DW.

Welcome to the dark side! are you thinking of a used or new?
we all say I don't need to go over 100 mph until the vboost kicks in and you get sucked in the black hole only to find you're not alone:rocket bike: :th_scared: it will be a great upgrade from your current bike

VikingD said:
Hey, Thanks for all the info. I have decided to get me a Max. I currently ride a 1980 Yamaha 850 special. I've outgrown it and think the VMax will be a good upgrade. I'm not gonna do any knee dragging or really going over 100 MPH very often so I thnk it is a good fit. I'm still gonna do some test riding as some have suggested, but I think I'm already a fanatic. I'm sure I'll be asking some more questions about upgrades and what not in the future. For now. Thanks to all who shared info.
DW.
________
medical marijuana strains

Last edited:
Calimus said:
Not to mention, I don't have track/drag experience and my father dragged his v65 magna for several years when we lived up in NY.

Hey Calimus, were these runs out of the hole from a dead stop or rolling? My faorite race is a "street start". Get rolling at 5 or 10 mph side by side on a deserted road. Pre pick a sign or some marker on the road as the start point and both of you nail it when you reach that point. Run'm up to what speed the road (or your sanity) allows. That kind of race eliminates much of the "rider skill" and focuses more on the machines.

If you haven't raced your Dad that way, I'd like to hear how your Max fares...

shawn kloker said:
Calimus,I'd like to race a vtx1800 out of the hole!I think all he would see is me getting smaller right from the start.

I've run nearly all the big cc "power cruisers" at HRP....
The Cruiser style V-twin hasn't been made yet that will outrun the V-max from a well launched start.....

roll-ons may be different; but I have never understood the big deal about third fourth or fifth gear roll-ons the magazines always yap about...yeah it may be a good indicator of available torque but as for racing????? fer chris sakes haven't these people ever heard of downshifting???????

Redux said:
Hey Calimus, were these runs out of the hole from a dead stop or rolling? .....

If you haven't raced your Dad that way, I'd like to hear how your Max fares...

We have done the rolling start and in that case the Max doesn't even break a sweat. But form a dead stop, she's gotta work for it. Then again, my Max could be running like absolute shit and since I've never been on/around another one, I wouldn't know the difference.

At any rate, I enjoy the hell outta it. Rode in today even though the wind is pretty bad.

BTW, Redux, have they shifted your hours yet?

Yes, the hours have changed. For the first time in 16 years, I have Mon-Fri 9-5. I have become an Overtime hound tho. Tomorrow I'm gunna go in for about 4 hrs. Sunday is open tho.... Or next weekend (prob both days). I'd like to take advantage of this fantastic weather. Lemme know.

Back