Vmax radiator mods

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samy

Reaction score
Hello guys! What are the advantages of fitting additional radiator (as in the picture)?
And is it the same stock radiator fitted in this picture? (Saw it in FB).
Am curious to know cos, i am trying to find a solution to engine heating issue.
Will the aditional radiator fixed the problem.
There are some very cool and quality radiators compatible with gen1 bike. Please guys give me some suggestions.!! Thank yoi

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200128-015303_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200128-015303_Gallery.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 198
Ooohh that's sweet, looks like a gen2 rad and oil cooler. But the stock cooling system has seemed to be adequate for other much more than stock performance and displacement machines. Is your block and rad clean and free flowing? Fan blades in good shape and unobstructed? Make sure the P.O. didn't remove the thermostat. If all check's out good I would install a switch in the fan circuit and see if you can keep a cool temper manually.

Adding an additional rad will be fixing the symptoms not the cause.
Agree with Mr Gentsvmax that you should check that the radiator core hasn't got some blockages (feel for cold spot compared to the rest of the rad as the bike heats up), also check thermostat function and substitute the pressure cap or have it tested.

the worst case for shifting heat is sat stationary due to not getting air flow through the radiators, in this case the fan should come on.

what are the symptoms you are experiencing and when? is it really overheating - if the cap blows and steam comes out, then that is a definite "yes" but can it be the sender/temp gauge/radiator cap being faulty? if you have a way of measuring the water temperatrue, then do that. start with checking the the simple things, flush the radiator and check it as suggested above, check the water pump is not damaged before splashing out mega buck on a larger radiator without knowing what the cause is.

the worst case for shifting heat is sat stationary due to not getting air flow through the radiators, in this case the fan should come on.

what are the symptoms you are experiencing and when? is it really overheating - if the cap blows and steam comes out, then that is a definite "yes" but can it be the sender/temp gauge/radiator cap being faulty? if you have a way of measuring the water temperatrue, then do that. start with checking the the simple things, flush the radiator and check it as suggested above, check the water pump is not damaged before splashing out mega buck on a larger radiator without knowing what the cause is.

I really dont know what is happening.
The symptoms are that after riding it for almost 10-20 minutes engine starts heating up. And when it heats up my leg seems barbercued. And even starts sweating.

The radiator fan does not start automatically, so i have fitted fan switch. When the switch is on the temp meter comes down. But the heating itself does not stop.
Once, there was a leak in Coolant Drain Cock Assy. It was rusted. But i have fixed it. Now there is no leak.

I really love the bike. But this heating issue makes my ride very very uncomfortable.

Where you located Samy? If you live in a hot part of the world, you will be riding hot. I live in the American Southwest. We are at 100F(38C) right now. Some members are in hotter parts and all can tell you its no fun riding in stop and go traffic on a hot bike.

Where does your temperature gauge ride? Have you done any mods to the cooling system? The radiator fan wont come on till its almost in the red.

I've asked member Samy to post-up his location below his screen name but he hasn't chosen to do-so, yet.

A good radiator/cooling system flush is probably in-order. I've removed cyl heads that had the cooling ports nearly-blocked by white crystalline material, probably due to some miracle additive being added to the coolant to try and easy-fix a leaking head gasket. That, or possibly some coolant not-suitable for use upon aluminum engines. Multiple flushes may be necessary; I'd drain the contents into a receptacle to examine the residue/liquid. Continue to flush (in red, above) until all contaminants have been eliminated.

Have you examined the water pump impeller for damage/deterioration? Once the engine comes-up to operating temperature and the thermostat opens, you should have flow in the system. If the thermostat is open and you don't have flow, and you have a full cooling system, your impeller may be damaged.

A new radiator cap may be needed, search on here for the automobile cap which is a replacement for the OEM, and is less-expensive. If the system cannot pressurize it's not going to operate properly to shed heat.

Here's info from an earlier post on another thread:

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/thermo-unit-and-thermo-sensor-replacement.47815/#post-477211
Geez, next time do a search on here for cheaper replacements, substitutions have been posted on here for our thermostat, the radiator cap and the thermal switch, much cheaper than OEM parts.

Different Thermostat?

Some info on the coolant drain petcock, often a subject of debate: "how-doe it work? How do I set it?"

Drain cock valve assembly

Coolant system info, including Sean Morley's as-usual helpful comments:
Too Hot?

leaky cooling sys

Too hot to handle

There are more, search (advanced) is your friend.

Last edited:
What Mr Medic is saying is that you need to do some diagnosis.

Have you done what I suggested above and what else have you done to isolate the problem?

Hello guys.
I had leak in this area. I took to a workshop and stopped the leakage. When asked, they said they put silicone.
Basically most of the heat is coming from left side.
The pic is of right, but the leak was from left side.
I will work on replacing the cap.
Many thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200827-221311_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200827-221311_Gallery.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 39
Leaking cam plugs. Did you have them replace the valve/cam cover gaskets and the half-moon plugs, or did they re-use what you had? The former 'may' work, the correct repair is replacement.

Where are you located again? Are new parts hard to come-by there?

Thanks.
They never replaced anything. They just put silicone sealant and sealed it.
I live in Maldives.. yea! The sunny side of life. Hhehe.
Here, this is the only vmax1200.

But a guy is having vmax17..so we both are the only ones who are having this beast.
I basically get items from ebay and Aliexpress..and from some of guys from vmax groups. Hard to find spare parts..

And, here we dont have experts. I have searched youtube and FB for a video on fixing this problem.

I think one of the issues here is the apparent inability to read and act on the advice given.
Start with the basics (pressure cap, thermostat and radiator core) before looking elsewhere.

OK, now we're getting somewhere. Add Maldives under your screen name and avatar. Access that ability by clicking on the upper-right screen name; for 'signature,' put your year of VMax. This helps the acquisition of information pertinent to your particular bike. Also, post-up your VIN letters before your numbers begin (we don't need the numbers), that will tell us what model bike you have. Inform us if you have VBoost.

Follow MaxMidnight's advice, use the info already provided, and get-busy trouble-shooting.

Thank
OK, now we're getting somewhere. Add Maldives under your screen name and avatar. Access that ability by clicking on the upper-right screen name; for 'signature,' put your year of VMax. This helps the acquisition of information pertinent to your particular bike. Also, post-up your VIN letters before your numbers begin (we don't need the numbers), that will tell us what model bike you have. Inform us if you have VBoost.

Follow MaxMidnight's advice, use the info already provided, and get-busy trouble-shooting.
Thanks.
I will do so

I think one of the issues here is the apparent inability to read and act on the advice given.
Start with the basics (pressure cap, thermostat and radiator core) before looking elsewhere.
Indeed.
I am following the given intructions.
Will update as soon as possible.
Thanks for the suggestions

Back