Vmax running issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxmadd

Reaction score
Hi there, another newbie to forums here!
I have an 85 vmax with a bad missfire/splutter between 3-6rpm that clears with more throttle.
So far I've had the carbs removed, diaphragms replaced and sliders checked. Carbs were cleaned and refitted then set up on the bike.
I've replaced the stator that basically blew up! New battery and replaced the air box with pods and fitted new plugs.
Did the wire from R/R direct to battery pole as recommended. I have good battery power and supply for charging etc but theres still the misfire/splutter.
Check/replace coils?
The previous owner added an additional vboost switch to work at 3000rpm but if I switch that on when riding the misfire/splutter gets worse?
Not sure if that mod is effecting the bike even if turned off?
Also the flasher relay is apparently faulty but it also works the CDI unit as bike wont run without it so maybe this is also causing an issue? Have purchased new relay anyway to get indicators working (am thinking of wiring in a universal flasher relay just to get it through MOT while I wait for new relay to arrive).
My friend whos an electrician did suggest replacing the R/R as this my of been damaged when stator blew as they normally over power before going bang?!
Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post but any ideas or help appreciated 👍

Throw a multi-meter onto the battery or the leads to the + and -- wires from the R/R to it. Read the voltage at idle, and then at say 4-5K RPM. If it's much-over 14 volts DC your R/R is going to cause battery problems, overcharging. Refer to the factory service manual:
http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf
I suspect that your switch to pods has something to do with the rough running mid-range. I don't think the VBoost switch has anything to do with the problem, but if you eliminate it, and things improve, it did! Go-ahead and eliminate the switch, and see what happens.

VMax USA 85-89 wiring.pngVMax USA 85-89 wiring.02.png
NOTE: there is an overlap on this schematic!

Hi there, another newbie to forums here!
I have an 85 vmax with a bad missfire/splutter between 3-6rpm that clears with more throttle.
So far I've had the carbs removed, diaphragms replaced and sliders checked. Carbs were cleaned and refitted then set up on the bike.
I've replaced the stator that basically blew up! New battery and replaced the air box with pods and fitted new plugs.
Did the wire from R/R direct to battery pole as recommended. I have good battery power and supply for charging etc but theres still the misfire/splutter.
Check/replace coils?
The previous owner added an additional vboost switch to work at 3000rpm but if I switch that on when riding the misfire/splutter gets worse?
Not sure if that mod is effecting the bike even if turned off?
Also the flasher relay is apparently faulty but it also works the CDI unit as bike wont run without it so maybe this is also causing an issue? Have purchased new relay anyway to get indicators working (am thinking of wiring in a universal flasher relay just to get it through MOT while I wait for new relay to arrive).
My friend whos an electrician did suggest replacing the R/R as this my of been damaged when stator blew as they normally over power before going bang?!
Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post but any ideas or help appreciated.
The V-boost switch mod shouldn't have anything to do with it... Sounds like one of your four carbs has a valve catching at a certain point...or blockage on one or more of your fuel lines... There is a fuel line block under your carbs that can get gummed up and needs to be wire reemed every once in a while...

I have an 85 vmax

According to the manual, the early models have a combined flasher relay and starter relay.
The flasher unit has automatic cancelling so by fitting an after market unit you will lose that feature.... not a biiggie as long as you remember to turnthe flasher off.
When you say the flasher relay is apparently faulty - which part of it is not working - the turn signal or start relay?

It should be possible to bypass the starter relay but obviously that loses the safety feature such as the engine running when in gear and the side stand down.

.... and here's the diagram with no overlap.

Attachments

• wiring diagram.jpg
    wiring diagram.jpg
    898.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back