Vmax Running on 3 Cylinders

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulrok

Reaction score
I was riding with a guy recently who tried to embarrass me in front of the group I was riding with. He was telling me that I know nothing about motorcycles (despite this being my 4th street bike, and I've had dirt bikes when I was a kid .. ) and that it was impossible for my bike to ever have problems with ignition because the bike wouldn't run if it did. Absolutely, a V-twin, or thumper might not.. but a 4 cylinder bike might be able to run with a dead cylinder.

By unplugging the number 3 spark plug I force the bike to have a dead cylinder.

Anyway.. heres the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3mj0zTDO0I

Not advisable to run that way as that carb is filling up a cylinder with gas that is not igniting.:confused2:

Don't severe the relationship with that genius. He can probably tell you what the best wax on the market is and where to get it cheap.

I ran a whole day in the hills on 3 cyl and schooled an HD going up 44 west but I could tell it was down on power and didnt sound quite right. Still ran and rode admirably well. When I got home I did a downpipe spit sizzle test and found a COP harness crimp had fallen apart cutting spark completely to that cyl. Soldered them up and hasnt skipped a beat since.

I ran a whole day in the hills on 3 cyl and schooled an HD going up 44 west but I could tell it was down on power and didnt sound quite right. Still ran and rode admirably well. When I got home I did a downpipe spit sizzle test and found a COP harness crimp had fallen apart cutting spark completely to that cyl. Soldered them up and hasnt skipped a beat since.

I'll be upgrading to COP soon, as well as probably buying the morley's muscle jet kit. Well.. hopefully during the winter time I will.

I'll be upgrading to COP soon, as well as probably buying the morley's muscle jet kit. Well.. hopefully during the winter time I will.

Do it do it do it!

I bought the first cops for my vmax but after the failed crimp I rebuilt then with solder and heat shrink tube. I made a set for my Venture from ebay parts so about $30-ish and an hour or so of my life and they came out perfect.

Im running the Morleys kit, the COPs and the Kerker 4-2-1, otherwise stock, its a whole lot of fun! I had to set floats and play with jetting and shims but once I nailed it (thanks Eric et al) it was wild. Its a decent boost in performance for a modest investment. Some delete vboost with the jet kits, I left mine intact. When she hits 6k best be paying attention, it is a FUN bike to ride!:punk:

Ignitions dont like having nowhere to dump that big ol spark and can fry something. Thats why when doing a compression test you ground the lead somewhere.
It will probably be fine - but it can eat itself. Just a warning......

Guys like that know it all are always worth listening to. Then you get funny stuff to post online from them!

I let them go for awhile then mention the 10 years as a mechanic and years as pit crew traveling the country. Seems they lose there voice after that................

Obviously not, but for 1 minute it isn't going to hurt anything.... I was doing it to prove a point.

I understand the point you were making, the reason i responded is i recovered a stolen bike once that was tampered with and tried to ride it home on 3 cylinders-the gas that was not igniting in the cylinder filled the top of the head and hit a coil-:damn angry:
Also you are missing a drain hose on your #4 carb.:ummm:

I understand the point you were making, the reason i responded is i recovered a stolen bike once that was tampered with and tried to ride it home on 3 cylinders-the gas that was not igniting in the cylinder filled the top of the head and hit a coil-:damn angry:
Also you are missing a drain hose on your #4 carb.:ummm:

Oh, it's there it just isn't sitting in the little bracket. Fixed. I probably pushed it in not thinking about it.

Back