Vmax secrets withheld from your better half

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Are YOU guilty of any of the following:

Buying parts, tools, gear, mods, or even complete motorcycles without disclosing this information to your significant other?

I'm sure many of you have done it. I've seen a similar thread in other forums and it makes for a great read.

I've been married for about 10 years now. My wife knows I spend a lot of time in the garage but she does not pay much attention to what is going on in there. I'm in the process of doing a lot of upgrades to the bike. I've had a lot of parts bought and sold in the past year. I really do not disclose much of my dealings with her. I live by the don't ask, don't tell policy. She would probably have a heart attack if she had a clue as to what I've been doing.

I try to avoid confrontation on my spending if at all possible. For instance, most parts I purchase I use cash or money orders. The money spent never went into the bank so nobody knows that its gone :biglaugh:. I do use paypal a bit but most of my paypal money spent is money earned from selling stuff.

When I buy parts, I have them shipped to me at work. This way, she never sees packages on the front porch. I load them into my truck and wait until she is out running some errands before moving them into the garage.

I work on other peoples bikes from time to time. Its a good way to cover purchases. I buy their stuff and mine at the same time. This stuff, I will walk into the house in front of her. When she asks, its parts for so in so's bike. Another good reason to have others bikes sitting around is that its a diversion, a decoy. I can have parts scattered everywhere but they "aren't mine"

Not telling the "whole" truth is another tactic I've become fond of. I used this one the other day. I was working on a friend thumper. She comes out to chat and points to the front of my vmax and asks "Is that new" referring to the forks. I say in a very non chalant tone, "No". That was the entire conversation about the bike and we went to a different subject. See, she was pointing the the forks. They were not new. They are used. Off of a '08 Busa. Just rebuilt, revalved, and chromed. She did not point to the new billet triple trees and ask about those......She was pointing to the forks.

Most of the time when I'm working on my bike I say I'm doing "maintenance work". Which, in reality, it is "maintenance" when you are replacing the bearings in you old swingarm just after it was braced, extended, and coated, right? Its also maintenance when you are cleaning out your fuel tank. You might be shipping it out to get extened but its maintenance cleaning it out.

I've also used this excuse a couple times " I'm making the bike more comfortable for us to ride on" That counts if i'm installing for fork seals, springs, and intiminators. Or adding some progressive 440's. Oh wait, she never even noticed the shocks. The seat, that was the other time I used this one.

I don't own a lot of gear but I did buy a new jacket and helmet last season. Thats pretty easy to notice and to get approval on. Gotta be safe.

What are you guilty of? Buying parts, entire bikes, a garage full of tools.....

???? I haven't hidden anything I can think of. I have the Wife's blessing for any Purchases or Mods I want.... Guess I'm no fun......:sad2:

She does wish I'd organize all the spare parts in one room......:rofl_200:

I do this stuff too, especially the not telling the whole truth part!

My wife has zero interest in my bike, so I can mod whatever I want without her knowing one way or the other. She acts like the bike doesn't even exist in our garage. Just pay cash or cashiers checks for everything and presto.... happy marriage.

Hope she doesn't get on the forum and read your posts Mike ,or your screwed :th_hit:

Although i spend a lot of $$$ on my bike, she doesnt ask how much i spend or she might just :th_12:
She notices new things and says "why did you change that"?
"what was wrong with the old....."?

Then i tell her the bike is 26 years old and things wear out over time and need replaced :eek:h yeah:

I do pretty much the same as Bill but also buy alot of things with cashiers checks when I don't want her to know but she's cool with MOST of the stuff I buy and alot I just dont say exactly the true amount just to keep peace. I always say that I'm just about finished but you know how tha t goes

shame on you mike. uh uh. not me, i would never do such things. :rofl_200:

innocent_angel_smiley_face_poster-p228804436182643211t5wm_400.jpg

that was just in case the wife should ever hop onto my computer 'fore i log off. i have in the past hidden some, let's say "not so essential" parts in amongst an order of your typical necessary items; and over the course of 12 months, i've stretched the truth on a few occasions about exactly what is required for a repair. my wife's no dope, though, and at times i think she's lets me get away with my school boy antics, because, well for one, she has an "expensive" hobby--her horse.

My gal knows the rules...(not married yet)
1)my house = my bills
2)her not paying bills or chipping in rent = no opinion on MY finances
3)if the bills are paid...the rest of the $ is for what I see fit
4) she's been told before my bike comes first over her(a total lie! Ide give anything for her but her knowing the Max is a non discussion keeps her from thinking she can mention selling it when things get tough)

Really boils down to she knows I'm ganna spend it on somthing between the bills the car and the bike, so she just doesn't discuss it.

If my wife said anything I would just take the pegs off and put a single seat on it! :)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Actually my wife let me name my youngest son Max so I guess that says something of how much she likes the bike. But if she really knew how much is into my bike she might just .

We have no issues with this....and 'feed' our habits as we see fit. Hers are gardening and art, mine is the bikes. I neither ask, nor care, what she spent on a rare yellow peonie and she does the same with the bike stuff. Altho, she is interested in my hobby, asks lots of intelligent questions and becomes involved in whatever bike issue I'm dealing with at the moment. A much more 'supportive' spouse than I am cause when we're 'touring' her gardens, looking at the latest.....'green thing', I'm mentally back in the shop thinking about something that I'm doing in there!

It took a couple times to get it right but this marriage is working just fine! :worthy:

This is a dangerous thread! Disavow any knowledge of the topic before it's "too late!"

Maybe Buster should make this thread a members only viewable! :biglaugh:
MOD MOD MOD, ask for forgiveness later if she/ he finds out!:eusa_dance:

Back