VMax Specs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick78

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a Vmax and I've been doing some research over the last few days trying to find anything I can on these bikes. I have been finding some contradicting information regarding the power ratings over the years.

Some sites say the bike has been virtually unchanged from 85 to 08 and the 85 model was rated at 140hp. But then I've found other sites that don't list the hp and torque ratings for the earlier bikes, however they do state that the late 90's to early 2000's they were rated at roughly 100hp and then in 2003 they were bumped up to 140hp.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some like or direct me to an accurate site for this information. It would certainly make my search for MY Vmax alot easier if I have more info on what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Patrick

I'm interested in getting a Vmax and I've been doing some research over the last few days trying to find anything I can on these bikes. I have been finding some contradicting information regarding the power ratings over the years.

Some sites say the bike has been virtually unchanged from 85 to 08 and the 85 model was rated at 140hp. But then I've found other sites that don't list the hp and torque ratings for the earlier bikes, however they do state that the late 90's to early 2000's they were rated at roughly 100hp and then in 2003 they were bumped up to 140hp.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some like or direct me to an accurate site for this information. It would certainly make my search for MY Vmax alot easier if I have more info on what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Patrick

They all have the same horsepower....the confusion comes in when you discuss Hp "at the crank" vs "at the rear wheel."

They all put out 140 - 145 hp at the crank, and about 100 to the rear wheel. Well, the stock ones anyhow.

Good luck in you search! :clapping:

danny

there is also a non-vboost equipped model (100 bhp @ crank) for the overseas market. u'd be hard pressed to find one in the US.

They all have the same horsepower....the confusion comes in when you discuss Hp "at the crank" vs "at the rear wheel."

They all put out 140 - 145 hp at the crank, and about 100 to the rear wheel. Well, the stock ones anyhow.

Good luck in you search! :clapping:

danny
If you can find a stock one.

Here is the website that I found the information on the Vmax.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_v-max_1999.php
This page is for the 1999 model and it gives the rating of 98hp and 74ft of tq.

If I'm not mistaken, the specs stay the same unil 2003

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_vmx_1200_v-max_2003.php
Where they state 140hp and 86ft of tq.

Can anyone say if and what year the bike goes to Fuel Injection? I haven't found anything on that information yet either.

sounds like they are comparing RWHP to crank HP. i wouldnt' go by that, its user editable.

all years 85 - 07 have the same HP/Torque. 145 HP at crank/ 100-110 at wheel (ish) no differences.

you'd want to go with the newest year you could afford, anything over '03 having all minor changes they included.

the first gen vmax never went to EFI. you'll need to find an '09 to goto EFI and probably about $10k more.

I'm currently interested in a 99 and 00 in the area. Are there any specific things to look for or negatives for these years of the Vmax that I should be aware of?

look for the normal bike stuff. anything that has low miles or sat for a bit could have the carbs gummed up. post up specifics with price and u'll get some opinions.

make sure u take it out for a test ride. ride 2nd gear hard, make sure it doesn't pop out. thats big money!

lots of stuff to do with these bikes so depending whats been done to it will give u an idea how much more u might want to put in, or how well (or bad) it was riden/taken care of.

I'm currently interested in a 99 and 00 in the area. Are there any specific things to look for or negatives for these years of the Vmax that I should be aware of?

Look inside the rear fender for rubber shreds (indicates burn-outs), underneath the foot pegs, levers, bar ends and bottom of pipes for rash, and around the battery for signs of spilled acid (indicates possible tip-overs), general overall condition. Take off side covers, top cover, pull top of filter box off...see what it looks like underneath.
I like to see a couple thousand miles on the clock for each year it's been around...a '99 with 20K wouldn't be out of line at all. Be careful of an older model with unusually low mileage...might be somethin' fishy there! :confused2:

Latest posts

Back