Vmax speedo and differential

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau-Kat

Reaction score
Some background:

I have a 1998 Vmax into which I installed a 2007 Venture rear differential by blocking off the speedo sensor hole and milling the shock mount hole boss to mount the shock mount stud. Lowered my rpms and works great for me.

I also have a 1988 Venture and a 2000 Millenium Edition Venture. I am also on Venturerider.org.

So, a popular swap among members of that site is to go the other way and place a Vmax diff in a Venture. Usually, the internals have to be swapped (by RMS Sportmax) due to the electronic speedo on the 2nd gen Ventures (from 1999 on).

My question is: Did the 2007 VMax have the electronic speedo with the sensor in the diff, making it a direct swap into a 2nd gen Venture, or was it cable driven from the front wheel like the rest of the
years?

I formally thought all 1st gen VMax speedos were cable driven.

I have an 07 Vmax....gen 1. All gen 1 Vmax's are cable driven from the front wheel.

That damned Mod Monkey must have relatives living everywhere.......now you're telling us there's one doing business over on the Gen 1 & Gen II Venture board too. Wow.

not off a vmax unless someone had modded it to do so.

^ I'd guess it may have come off an '07 Vmax that someone had a Venture Differential on.
So, it could actually be a Venture differential taken off an '07 Vmax.

But it could also just be a dishonest (or ignorant) Ebay seller trying to pass it off as an '07 Vmax differential.

^ I'd guess it may have come off an '07 Vmax that someone had a Venture Differential on.
So, it could actually be a Venture differential taken off an '07 Vmax.

But it could also just be a dishonest (or ignorant) Ebay seller trying to pass it off as an '07 Vmax differential.

Yup, I agree.

I did that mod and like the one I put on my VMax.
I sent the ebayer a note about it probably being a Venture gear and most likely not having a true VMax ratio.

Thanks.

PS.
Now that I think about it...maybe it's an FJR1300 diff that had the shock mount drilled out. The FJR has the same ratio as the VMax, I think.

Options:
1a) Vmax 85-95 are direct interchange with zero difference. The ratio is 3.66 (33 teeth ring/9 teeth pinion). The axle is the longest of the years and used a castle nut and cotter pin.
1b) Vmax 96-07 are direct swap. The housing changed and incorporated the teardrop casting (that is drilled and taped for the speedo sensor when used by some of the Venture/Royal Star models.). The Ratio is 3.66

*Both Diffs above will swap between the Vmax's with no problem. BUT, if the earlier casting is used with the later model axle there isn't a lot of nut left sticking through. If the laster model casting uses the early axle then there is a TON sticking through. This can be ideal if adding something like a side mounted license plate. Most people will use the axle and diff type that came with their bike and eliminate the washer when using a side mounted license plate.

2.) 86-93 Venture Differential. This casting is the identical casting to the early Vmax. The stud location is even drilled and tapped. You only need to install a stud in it and then it can be installed on the Vmax as normal. The gearing is 3.30 (33 teeth ring and 10 teeth pinion). So, this gives a 10% rpm drop when compared to the Vmax gearing. This slows acceleration though in all gears (inquire about our overdrive option though this is not as easily installed).

* Note - the 83-85 Venture Differential casing is COMPLETELY different and will NOT interchange with the Vmax or any other year venture/star bike (though this could be possible if you used the wheel as well).

3.) 96-Up Royal Star Differential. This casting is identical to the later Vmax. However, it has the speedo sensor hole and threaded bolt retainer. The easy way to resolve that is simply to leave the pickup in and either cut off the wire or route it forward to make it look like it's hooked up. Note that this sending unit can be used to "drive" some digital speedometers (most will require some diode work). The shock mount casting is there but undrilled. This isn't nearly as convenient as the earlier venture diffs. The ratio is also 3.30 for that 10% RPM drop at any given gear.

*We can swap internals (for likely a lot less then other competitors) if you want one over the other (Vmax in R/Star housing or vice versa). I have even machined out the Vmax housings to accept the sensor (which is easier then drilling/tapping the shock mount).

4.) FJR - Also has the 3.30 gearing ratio but the offset for the splined drive does not allow for anywhere near the needed wheel offset. At least the wheel requires a ton of work to fit in the Vmax.

5.) Other potentials. I have a few other diffs that could potentially be made to work including one that has a 20% rpm difference. But, the amount of work needed far outweighs my desire to try and get it to the masses.

Latest posts

Back