vmax stock crankshaft specs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckridge

Reaction score
hello fellow maxers, i am rebuilding a 98 vmax engine and i cant find the stock outside diameter for big and small ends of the crankshaft. i have the factory sevice manual and cannot find the specs,or the proper clearances . i want to buy new bearings ,but without crank specs i dont know if i should get stock or oversized bearings. my original bearings from the engine have no color codes for me to make a correct call on the right bearings for the application . any info would be great, thank you.

There are no oversize bearings. There are 6 or 7 different possible bearing sizes depening on which journal you are talking about. To look for the color you would look on the edge of the bearing not the surfaces. It's usually in the center on one side or the other.

However,

You have a code which is derived by looking at numbers on the block and numbers on the crank and rods. use the manual to figure out how it is determined.

There is not much difference between the thickest (blue or black con't remember) and the thinnest (pink or yellow) bearings.

Sean Morley

..So if you have a hosed up crank like mine - what can I do?... One of the rod journals is probably 10-20 thousandths wear ridge/... Can I have the crank fuse welded and then take it to a machine shop and have it sized to match the other Rod Journal?.... or ? ...

..So if you have a hosed up crank like mine - what can I do?... One of the rod journals is probably 10-20 thousandths wear ridge/... Can I have the crank fuse welded and then take it to a machine shop and have it sized to match the other Rod Journal?.... or ? ...

Yes you can I am glad I am not the only one with a bad 98 crank I have 3 spun cranks in my garage Contact Falicon they charge 350 to repair the VMAX crank
Good luck I have never had any luck with the VMAX crank bearing replacements
You will also have to have the cases measured I have heard if the bearing spins it messes up the cases where the bearing go
I have built GSXR motors with no problems but the VMAX seems to eat cranks if you ride em hard
I tried rebuilding 2 motors and they lasted an avg of 6K miles of hard riding IMO your better off calling around salvage yards

Hopefully this motor will last me I took some advice from people here changes made to hopefully cut back on cranks

Always use 20w50
Let the engine warm up to atleast 160
Shift at 8800 RPMS

there are a few things you can do to make the cranks live. You need more side clearance between the big ends of the rods and the crank sides, you need to upgrade the oil pump and o-ring, then you can also cross drill the mains. You still want to let the engine warm up but 11,200 rpm will hold up just fine.

I have a stack of cranks and used to get them repaired locally but the guy went out of business. The fallicon repair works well but it's almost too expensive to go that route compared to a new one.

I don't know but I am sure I have a good crank or two left around here.

Sean Morley

Does anyone have the rod bearing specs - or some they can mic-out .. ?.. I am curious what the difference is between the various colors PLANE BRNG,CON ROD U.R. BLUE ,...PINK..etc

I just mic'd my crank and the one rod journal has approx 12 thou difference compared to the other journals

there are a few things you can do to make the cranks live. You need more side clearance between the big ends of the rods and the crank sides, you need to upgrade the oil pump and o-ring, then you can also cross drill the mains. You still want to let the engine warm up but 11,200 rpm will hold up just fine.

I have a stack of cranks and used to get them repaired locally but the guy went out of business. The fallicon repair works well but it's almost too expensive to go that route compared to a new one.

Sean Morley
i always listen when you speak

Sean Morley
Sean do you have a crank you would sell? and how much?:ummm:

Last crank sold for $200 but will probably ask a bit more for the next one.

Sean

Sean do you have a crank you would sell? and how much?:ummm:

Word of advice before you purchase or have the crank repaired
Price a complete gasket set from the dealer
Crank Repair or Replacement Cost
Bearings
Along with odds and ends that you didnt realize about another 100
While your in there you might as well re ring and hone the cyl's
Machine shop cost

If this is your first time with a VMAX engine figure from start to finish atleast 35+ hours of labor

Trust me I have been through the bad crank deal now 4 times

Avg VMAX engine for sale from a salvage yard is 1100 dollars

yes, it's not cheap to rebuild one. It does usually cost more then getting a used engine. There is always the worry that the crank ate the thrust journal in the block too. It's not replaceable and so far I think I am the only one who does the repair on them. The upside to fixing it yourself is less cost then paying someone and you know what has been done. No guarantees on a used engine but most of the time you will be OK.

I do have one 1300 engine left which is a good upgrade. Get more power and still look the same.

Send me an email and I can get you a price sheet with options and costs.

Sean Morley

35 hours to rebuild a motor ? you got to be shitting me

How long does it take you to rebuild the VMAX engine
Removing the engine driving to the machine shop local part stores plasti gauaging all bearings and all the other work involved in rebuilding a vmax engine along with installation and tuning

How long does it take you to rebuild the VMAX engine
Removing the engine driving to the machine shop local part stores plasti gauaging all bearings and all the other work involved in rebuilding a vmax engine along with installation and tuning

it would take me forever ....i was looking at it more in the lines of how many hours a shop gets to build the motor with all the parts there and ready to go.....but i see your point

I'm working on 4 of them right now. They take quite a bit of time to set the ring gap, bearings, and so on. The suckiest part for me is getting all the old gasket material cleaned up.

I've got an 06 at the shop that had 2 rear pistons gall up. The dealer quoted almost $4000 to fix it and there isn't anything wrong on the bottom end. That's just to bore it, new pistons, and re-assemble. Of course that's a turn key price with them pulling it and re-installing.

Sean Morley

I'm working on 4 of them right now. They take quite a bit of time to set the ring gap, bearings, and so on. The suckiest part for me is getting all the old gasket material cleaned up.

I've got an 06 at the shop that had 2 rear pistons gall up. The dealer quoted almost $4000 to fix it and there isn't anything wrong on the bottom end. That's just to bore it, new pistons, and re-assemble. Of course that's a turn key price with them pulling it and re-installing.

Sean Morley
much more of a cost over the harleys thats for sure what caused the problem? with the 06..was it all stock ? thanks for info

Looks to me like the 06 had the ring gap set incorrectly at the factory.

Sean

Looks to me like the 06 had the ring gap set incorrectly at the factory.

Sean

that sucked.....bough 06 new last year paid $900 for 4 year warrenty..hope i never have to use it its a great selling point if i decide to sell...thanks for that info

Latest posts

Back