vmax top end speed gen 1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean richardson

Reaction score
hello you may have had this before.mine is a 1998 vmac usa import with vboost .jya start numbers of engine an frame ,had bike 3 years now standard exhaust then another set off ebay tink stage 2 jetting everything ive done to bike top end is just on 110 mph.checked timming carbs diaphrams plugs leads coils.any ideas ,was at party last weekend some one said speed limiter in speedo seems few models did.was looking at getting a dyno 3000 cdi to see if helps,any ideas please

Never seen a speed limiter on a Vmax. I've seen 145 on one and 155 on the other. The one with a dyno 3000 is the slower of the 2.
Those are indicated not GPS speeds.

yep I have seen 145 several times on mine with stock ignition box, I would say something else is wrong with your bike if 110 is all you can get out of it.

It does have five gears, you should try shifting one-more time! :biglaugh:

yep I have seen 145 several times on mine with stock ignition box, I would say something else is wrong with your bike if 110 is all you can get out of it.

There was a limiter on some models.....I thought they were for the French or Japanese markets.

I'm pretty sure read that here...within the past year or so. It was something to do with a wire coming off the speedo.

From another thread:

Speed restriction on the japanese model #02
by Morten, Aug. '98
Well after a while I also got this e-mail from greece:

> I' ve seen your problem with Speed-restriction on the 1990 Jap-homemarket model and I own a 85 model vmax.
>
>Try to do a very simple move. Take a small piece of thin cable and sort circuit the tiny capsule in the speedometer with a soldering station, or take it away from the hole that sits. This capsule is nothing but a magnetic switch that opens and closes with a frequence depending on how fast you drive. This thing is the only device that the CPU knows your current speed. When i asked an authorized technician of Yamaha here in Greece told me the same things plus that the capsule is enabled in some models in Greece that came from Japan and disabled in models came from USA.

>Try to think logical before you spend money buying black boxes that someone wants to sell.

>Regards
>Menos, Thessaloniki/Greece
Morten

Speed restriction on the japanese model #03
by Morten, Mar. '99
Hi Again MadMan's back !
This time with the absolute cheapest way to get rid of the speedrestriction !

Cut the Speedo open with a small saw - now you have access to everything - but DON'T TOUCH THE COUNTERS (shame on you !) Anyway...You will find a printed circuit. On this is mounted a two-legged magnetic switch, that works with the electronics. On the back of the speedo-needle a disc with two different diametres is mounted. On idle - one end of this disc is between the two legs of the switch. When running, the disc is turned away from the switch untill you reach 190 km/h. Then the other end of the disc reaches in between the switch, blocking the circuit...This activates the restriction (puts out one or two of the cylinders). Take a pair of cutting nippers...he-he-he.... Remove the 2/3 of the greater disc opposite the idle-position. Now the disc is still between the switch on idle but the rest is looong gone = Full Throttle available ! (Nothing's blocking the switch) YEEEHAAAA ! Off ya' gooooo into the sunset....(without having screwed up the elcetrical system).

Well, it took me some time, but finally - IT'S HACKED !
Thanx to the ones, that tried to help - especially Menos, Greece who has been great inspiration to the fiddle-fingers....
See ya' out there !
Morten, DK

I think he stated it's a US import....helpful info not sure it applies to his though :D

Why not just get a replacement speedo?
I regularly blast 150 indicated which is an optimistic reading by five or more mph on bike with only Kerker Slip Ons. You got issues. Maybe carburetor issue.

Yeah most Vmax's will top out around 140 actual mph, which is probably around 152 mph indicated on a stock speedo.

The higher the mph the more the error. At 120 mph is might be 3-4 mph off, but once it gets to the 140 ish range I ve noticed they vary ALOT.

Definitely something up if you can't get above 110 indicated. Is the bike still pulling?

My 1/4 mile track speed was with in a few mile's per hour.

Hi Sean and welcome to the site.

Can we assume that you have checked the frame and engine numbers to confirm that it is a US bike?
Will it hit maximum revs in the first four gears?

If it is a Jap import then you should see some additional wiring at the speedo; if a French import (limited to 100 BHP) then it would not have had V Boost and the carb slides would have been longer.

Post a request for help on V Max Chat and one of the local Maxxers may be in a position to help or at least you could ride with them and compare performance.

Latest posts

Back