Vmax versus GSXR

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastatv

Reaction score
I have my Vmax for sale, but my son and one of his buds wanted to go for a ride yesterday, so we went. Anyway, the one kid has a 2004 GSXR 600 and of course, we hit it off a few times. Here's the way it went. Didn't matter which gear we hit it at, slow roll, 50 mph roll, he pulled the Vmax right away, and pulled it pretty well. Now, we swapped bikes, me on his GSXR, he on the Vmax. A different story. Anytime we hit it from a roll, the Vmax pulled the GSXR. I was really surprised. He shifted the Max at 9000, I shifted the GSXR at about 14000. So, of course the rider is a big variable, but I'm sure we both shifted fairly close to correct RPM range. Now, here's the big difference. The kid is thin, weighs 145, and lays down on the bikes. I'm 240, I don't lay down on the Max, just not comfortable doing it. With equal weight riders, the GSXR will win everytime, in my opinion, but is was still awesome to see the old Vmax handily pulled away from the GSXR. Anyway, wanted to share the experience.

Last edited:
The two best ways to get more speed from your Vmax. Tune your bike and loose weight. I did both.
Tuning was the easy part though.
Steve-o

In cars, the 100 lb/0.1 second is the 'rule-of-thumb,' you might be able to say, "10 lb/0.01 second" which would amount to the same thing.

My friend and I used to test each other all the time. He weighed 145 & had a stock 05 R6. My 02 Vmax was also bone stock,I weigh 160. Stayed a half bike length ahead of him into 4th gear, then he slowly pulled ahead. By the time he hit 6th gear I could hardly see him anymore.:wave bye:

For bikes, roughly 30 lbs equals .10 of ET....I say roughly because it is not an exact science. A lot depends on where the weight is carried. The general rule of thumb is, the lighter the better! :biglaugh:

The general result from vmax vs sportbike racing is that given two decent riders of about the same weight, the Max gets it out of the hole, will pull an early lead through 2nd/3rd, but then the inline will walk by and that's that.

In addition to the difference of rider weights the 600 rocket weighs a solid 150lbs less than the vmax as well. You can get the jump from the better torque, and the wheelbase/weight lets you use all the power right away...sportbikes have to modulate a little to prevent a huge wheelie.

The general result from vmax vs sportbike racing is that given two decent riders of about the same weight, the Max gets it out of the hole, will pull an early lead through 2nd/3rd, but then the inline will walk by and that's that.

In addition to the difference of rider weights the 600 rocket weighs a solid 150lbs less than the vmax as well. You can get the jump from the better torque, and the wheelbase/weight lets you use all the power right away...sportbikes have to modulate a little to prevent a huge wheelie.

Also aerodynamics plays a huge role as speed increases... Some of the 600 sport bikes will do close to 165 mph.

Been 20 years since I rode and only 3 months at most since I've been back. And all on my '06.

If I hit the VBoost range, off the line, I've only done it maybe 4 times. And each and every one has been a jaw dropping feeling. If I hit 9K I'd probably have a stain (brown) be hind me on the road, me thinks!! I love seeing the Red Light Ignite but I don't know how you guys can look down at the Gauges without taking your eyes off the road ahead. And In my world, driving like a Hooligan, that road gets short pretty damn quick!!

Been 20 years since I rode and only 3 months at most since I've been back. And all on my '06.

If I hit the VBoost range, off the line, I've only done it maybe 4 times. And each and every one has been a jaw dropping feeling. If I hit 9K I'd probably have a stain (brown) be hind me on the road, me thinks!! I love seeing the Red Light Ignite but I don't know how you guys can look down at the Gauges without taking your eyes off the road ahead. And In my world, driving like a Hooligan, that road gets short pretty damn quick!!
My eyes stay on the road or track . The shift light mounted to my speedometer is bright.

Ohh
Yeaa..
That'd make sense!! Sometimes I'm driven by necessity. Now I can see how a light would benefit. Another thing while on shifting..

As Im turning (into my lefts mainly) through an interesection, Im obviously accelerating after I've either been stopped at the light or behind a vehicle. I often feel the need to bring it into 2nd 2/3rds through the intersection. Do I wait till I clear it fully (made the left) or hit 2nd Gear? I find as I'm making my turn in 1st I have to be really watching my throttle hand and if I hit 2nd, not as much..

That's why a shift light is a popular add-on....nobody wants to look down at the tiny tach with the throttle against the stop.

I used a Autometer "dpss", which is like a fat shift light, but with a LCD display of RPM in the center of it.

Usually the best launch is like 4500rpm or so. More than that and I'd just get a big squirrely burnout. Don't just dump the clutch, quickly feed it in while simultaneously rolling to WOT. Takes a little practice. Dale Walker had a writeup on this topic posted somewhere around here.

I just got rid of a 2006 gsxr 1000 (slip on & pcIII) for trade in on a new Vmax. I could do 104 mph in 1st gear right at redline. Only a few short weeks ago I raced a co worker with a vette that has a lot of engine work. We were on the turnpike early morning with little traffic. I got him on a rolling start with me in 3rd. When I got to about 173 mph he had caught me and walked away from me like I was sitting still. I didnt want to look down to see speedo but I had to. So yes, liter bikes have that unmatched power unless theres a faster vehicle out there.

As said, aerodynamics becomes an increasingly large factor as speeds increase. Even with fairings, motorcycles are aerodynamic disasters compared to modern cars. No was past drag but to power through it, and that's where a 500+hp vette will just cruise away from a 150hp literbike at those sort of speeds.

My GS450 (~25hp) would just hit 80 on flat ground.
My V30 (~65hp) would run to about 110. Triple the HP, but only ~30% more speed.
My Vmax (~115hp) would do about 140. Nearly five fold the power of the GS, but not even double the speed potential.

Considering all three are standard style, unfaired bikes without a windshield.

Drag increases with the cube of speed. The Vette gets you since it has vastly more power to overcome that drag at high speeds.

I knew it was fast, I just had to give it a try. He's pushing almost 600hp to the wheel! Also has a rear wing for down force.

Back