voltage output on stator 85 vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theking2039

Reaction score
my 1985 vmax has gone though 2 R/R and 2 stator and now it has burned up my new R/R i just put in. and my output on the stator said 120 volts and i don't how much my stator should really be putting out i have heard it should be only being putting 60 to 80 volt so i need some help does anybody know how much my stator should be putting out

For some reason, 60-80 V AC sounds familiar, but let me check my notes to see if I'm right.

my 1985 vmax has gone though 2 R/R and 2 stator and now it has burned up my new R/R i just put in. and my output on the stator said 120 volts and i don't how much my stator should really be putting out i have heard it should be only being putting 60 to 80 volt so i need some help does anybody know how much my stator should be putting out

On page 8-15 of the tech manual it says the A.C generator is rated for 14v, 25a at 5k rpm.

How are you testing your stator voltage???
120 volts is WAY TOO HIGH.

I believe the stator puts out high voltage - in the 60 volt range, but in the form of AC. The regulator/rectifier unit then has the job of converting the AC to DC, to run the bike, and lower the voltage to around 14 volts so the bike doesnt fry itself. 120VAC is way too high for the stator output, I think. If you really are getting 120volts AC into the R/R unit - I would think it would immediately fail.

Are you checking it properly, being 3 phase AC - you can check output voltage between any 2 of the 3 white wires coming out of the coil. You should try to check all combinations of wires, to ensure that you haven't got one phase of the stator nonfunctional. Are you sure the meter you used is set to the right range? I know that sounds stupid, but I have done it more than once!

You can reconnect the 3 wires back to the R/R unit any way. There is no "wrong" way to do it. I say that, because if you have a bit of corrosion in that plug connecting stator to R/R, you may melt it due to heat caused by the resistance of the corrosion. Mine did....

Theres your problem.. should be around 25-40k AC at 4k rpm's. 120 Ac volts to the RR will fry it.

Being the power output of the stator is 3 phase AC does anyone think that it would be necessary to make sure that the phase rotation is the same before and after replacing or repairing the stator or its wiring? Or do you think it doesn't matter since the electricity from the stator does not directly power up any motors?

Being the power output of the stator is 3 phase AC does anyone think that it would be necessary to make sure that the phase rotation is the same before and after replacing or repairing the stator or its wiring? Or do you think it doesn't matter since the electricity from the stator does not directly power up any motors?

Phase rotation is only an issue with AC motors. For the R/R, it doesn't make a difference.

Just hook them up white to white. If the plug is at all corroded, you have a nice resistor there, waiting to get hot and melt the plug. If in doubt, hardwire the 3 wiires to the R/R. It means cutting the plugs off, but if it melts, you'll be glad you did. Solder it, too., and use a good heatshrink over the connections. Tape can come loose with expensive results.

Back