voltage output

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crano

Reaction score
Hello all.

what should the charging voltage be when the bike is at tick over and when reved to 5000 revs should the charging rate rise? my bike stays at 13.6 volts at tick over and the same when the engine is off.

Thanks Crano:biglaugh:

Hello all.

what should the charging voltage be when the bike is at tick over and when reved to 5000 revs should the charging rate rise? my bike stays at 13.6 volts at tick over and the same when the engine is off.

13.6 sounds about right... It should drop though when the bike is off unless you have one of them there new fangled Irish batteries putting out 13.6 volts...:biglaugh:

I leave mine on a tender when parked.

13.6 sounds about right... It should drop though when the bike is off unless you have one of them there new fangled Irish batteries putting out 13.6 volts...:biglaugh:

Yeah I thought it should drop as well maybe the regulator is knackered :damn angry:
Do V-Maxs have a problem with the regulator/rectifyer ??

Yeah I thought it should drop as well maybe the regulator is knackered :damn angry:
Do V-Maxs have a problem with the regulator/rectifier ??

Oh yeah but I can't see how it would be that as it's charging just fine when running. Disconnect the battery and see where the voltage is.

The R/R usually stop charging.

If the regulator part was going then you voltage would be over 14.5 volts and would boil off your battery water.

If the regulator part was going then you voltage would be over 14.5 volts and would boil off your battery water.

Yeah I thought the same as I had a superfour that had a knackered RR and the reading was 17.8volts, ill see how it goes maybe its not kackered.

Thanks for the help.:ummm:

I like that word.... "Knackerd"!
Sounds like some kind of Harley(tm).

My '85 Max has an Electrex R/R unit, and I get 14.3V from about 2000 RPM on up.
There's lots of info here on the charging systems - and it's good info! It helped me get rid of a problem I've been messing with for over 20 years!

Hello all.

Welcome to the forum Crano! :cheers:
It sounds like your charging system is working properly and you have a good strong battery, so no worries! Your bike is about 10 years old, so probably by next year, you'll be posting asking why your battery is always going dead!... then you get to "experience" the issues with the lovely charging/wiring system of the VMax! :rofl_200:

Thanks for all the advice :eusa_dance: I hope to hang around this forum for awhile , so we will speak again :biglaugh:

Crano

Thanks for all the advice :eusa_dance: I hope to hang around this forum for awhile , so we will speak again :biglaugh:

Crano
Excellant! Glad to have another to add to this dedicated and proud group of Vmax owners! It is always good to hear what is going on with the Vmax and their owners from across the "pond".:thumbs up:

Back