Voltage Regulator Removal??? WTF???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnblaid

Reaction score
uh...noob here. I have a new battery but the charging rate almost non existent. Multi meter shows this.

I looked for the voltage regulator "behind the left rear passenger peg.

It's there, I see three white wires and one red wire and they go up to where somebody cut out the connector and did a horrid job. while trying to remove the electrical tape (never should have used that...should have used professional connectors) one of the connections broke. it was being held on by only one strand of the wire.

I have a feeling that's my problem but if not, everybody seems to think that replacing the old regulator with a newer type is the way to go while I'm at it and i agree.

PROBLEM:

after locating the regulator, it would appear that it is attached by one phillips screw and to access that I would have to remove the rear wheel and possibly the exaust system.

I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong.

(About to set fire to bike and walk away)

Stock rectifier has 2 screws, but maybe the PO replace it with another and the screw holes don't match up now. Sand and clean the mateing surfaces on both the rectifier and the foot peg to get a good grounding surface. When going back with the one screw if thats all you have run a moderately heavy wire to frame where the faux cover latch is. I would then run a ground wire straight to the neg terminal of the battery. I would then run a fused heavy wire from rectifier straight to the battery, bypassing the original wiring of bike. redo all connections made by PO and either use butt connectors or use crimp connections and solder them. The stator wires should also be redone by one of the methods mentioned previously. If you follw this thread on "how to" on thr R1 mod and leave out the part of installing the R1 rectifier, pending your rectifier is OK, You should have a good charging system. If your rectifier does not have fins on it for coolin purposes, you may need to upgrade your rectifer to get the charging system up to where it needs to be.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19108

+1 to the above post. The ground for the rectifier is the screw holding it onto the plate and the 2 posts that hold the plate to the frame. Later model rectifiers have a ground wire on them which is why it is a good idea to add a ground wire to yours.
Also look at this thread. It is about gas tank removal but you have to remove the rectifier plate so it shows you how it comes off.

I have a '92 and thus a older style r/r which does not come with a dedicated ground other than the mounting point. That is until this year when I installed a HD ground strap which runs a thick copper cable with soldered grounding points at the battery, frame, engine (all factory ground locations) and one that goes to the r/r. I have also taken up the practice of removing the lh rear foot peg bracket to clean the connections of rust/ road grime/ oil/ etc.. When putting it back together be sure to use dielectric grease to seal and promote a good electrical connection.
Knock on wood but my charging system has not had any issues. My Odyssey PC-680 battery has spun the engine over strongly since 2009.

To answer your main question. You need to remove that while foot peg plate. Then remove the RR from it.

That foot peg plate is a structural member of the frame, sort of. If you have a center stand out it up before removing. If not you may have to finagle it some to get it back on. Not that hard tho' either way.

Back