voltage regulator

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunnypauly

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 86 max. The V/R (voltage regulator) went out on my way home from work Monday, of course on I-95. I had replaced it last year with a new one from Ricks motorsports regulators. It wasn't the fined style regulator . My question is, what year regulators are compatible with my year bike. Obviously, I want a fined style V/R... 2nd question, I know its off topic. I rebuilt the front forks with new seals, about 2 months ago. I noticed after the first week they were leaking . After looking closely, it looks like there are some micro scratches on the forks. You can just barely feel them with your thumbnail. Is this the cause of the leak? If so, has anyone ever tried to have the forks chromed? My thought is, it would fill in the micro scratches.. Would that work? If not, guess im SOL.

Yes, the 96-07 should be the finned ($75), We also can chrome about anything on your bike though I don't chrome the tubes (too expensive vs the new aftermarket units I can get).

Sean

I don't remember for sure but I was thinking in the $200-$300 range for a pair. It's been awhile since we ordered any so I would need to make sure the current pricing. OR, you could update to the newer front end which I have a set on hand (maybe 2 sets).

did you use the factory yamaha fork seals? or crappy ones from ebay?

I never use the "leak proof" or aftermarket seals. It's OEM yamaha for seals and many other parts like bearings/gaskets.

yeah, i used the aftermarket ones from ebay . From the adds, they sound good. I guess you have herd other wise.. Question, voltage regulator, are all Vmax V/R interchangeable ?? So can i use one , say from a 03 model on my 86 Max??

yeah, i used the aftermarket ones from ebay . From the adds, they sound good. I guess you have herd other wise.. Question, voltage regulator, are all Vmax V/R interchangeable ?? So can i use one , say from a 03 model on my 86 Max??

yes you can....you will have an extra black wire to hook to the neg battery post.

Virtually any RR can be used as long as its wired properly and the current rating is enough to handle the stator...

Thanks for the info. Black wire goes to neg battery post, and need longer screws, cool. Thanks guys again. Thats what I Love about this place, if you have a question, you will find a answer every time!!!

yes you can....you will have an extra black wire to hook to the neg battery post.

I installed the 03 voltage /R on my 86. Ran a wire to the neg battery post Everything seems to be working. Voltage to the battery is 13.90v, but I noticed the R/R is getting hot. Ran the bike for 10mins , used a laser temp gauge to check temp. With the bike @ a idle, the V/R is running about 120F , and when i rev the motor to 4500rpm for 1min and hold it there, Temp goes up to 150F ++ and seemed to be rising..... Is this normal ??? I drive this on the interstate all the time, and really dont fell like breaking down again. How hot should it get??? Any ideals

I installed the 03 voltage /R on my 86. Ran a wire to the neg battery post Everything seems to be working. Voltage to the battery is 13.90v, but I noticed the R/R is getting hot. Ran the bike for 10mins , used a laser temp gauge to check temp. With the bike @ a idle, the V/R is running about 120F , and when i rev the motor to 4500rpm for 1min and hold it there, Temp goes up to 150F ++ and seemed to be rising..... Is this normal ??? I drive this on the interstate all the time, and really dont fell like breaking down again. How hot should it get??? Any ideals

I'm not sure on the exact temp, but it'll be very hot to the touch in the normal operating range. There is air cooling the R/R while you"re moving though.The ground was the trouble point for my bike too. Direct to the battery is best. Ity sounds like your ok now.
Steve-o

yea they do get hot. make shure the connector that goes to the stator is in tip top shape. if not...snip it out and hard wire those connections. or you can get a new connector from 88vmx12.
also......put a cple dabs of heat transfer compound....the same stuff used in computer cpu heat sinks. on the back of the RR....where it mounts. not neccesary but may help . you can substitute dielectric grease if you dont have any thermal compound.
clean the surfaces really good 1st tho.

one other thing...if the battery is in poor cond or a low charge state the RR will get abnormally hot also.

Last edited:
yea they do get hot. make shure the connector that goes to the stator is in tip top shape. if not...snip it out and hard wire those connections. or you can get a new connector from 88vmx12.
also......put a cple dabs of heat transfer compound....the same stuff used in computer cpu heat sinks. on the back of the RR....where it mounts. not neccesary but may help . you can substitute dielectric grease if you dont have any thermal compound.
clean the surfaces really good 1st tho.

one other thing...if the battery is in poor cond or a low charge state the RR will get abnormally hot also.

Thanks guys, all seems good. After getting home from a 1hr trip. I checked the temp, and it was only about 130F. I appreciate the input again :punk:

Latest posts

Back