VooDoo 4-1 Supertraap & Open Pipe Video

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjmac5

Reaction score
VooDoo 4-1 Supertrapp & Open Pipe Video

I have attached a video with the Megaphone to Supertrapp conversion as well as an open pipe video.

The Supertrapp has what sounded like a rattle in the core under heavy acceleration. I have packed the core really tight and really loose. I have run with the Supertrapp opened and with 6 to 9 discs and closed cap. I cannot get rid of that sound. It could also be what is a high pitched popping.

I decided to run open pipe to see what the sound was and it also had a tinny or rattling sound to it. So that made me think it might not be the Supertrapp muffler at all. When I had my supertrapps on the stock exhaust, I had what seemed to be slight rattle from the left side and it is the same sound just more pronounced.

Thinking out loud...exhaust leak? Just too much exhaust pushing through a 2 inch core? But then why does an open pipe make a similar sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wtR4G7hbZQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR9_pm6vn5Y

You probably have something-else being vibrated by the powerplant/drivetrain and that's what you hear, if-not the exhaust.

I really-couldn't hear any high-pitched sound from the STrapp. It sounded OK to me.

It sounds ok....although some exhaust might have more of a "tinney" sound...and that might be what you hearing.

The Supertrapp one sounds like a small exhaust leak to me. Couldn't hear it on the open exhaust one.

I could hear what you described but don't know what it is. Almost sounds like metal against metal vibrating.

Two things that I think could be causing it. First, pipe is pressed directly against the mount for the center stand. Pipe vibrating against the mount causing a rattling sound coming through exhaust (looked for that after Fire-medics comment).

Second, I had a tough time getting a good seat on the front left head pipe which might be causing an exhaust leak.

I also ran her with the Supertrapp on with an opened end (No disc or Caps) and you could definitely still hear the rattle. I could hear it with the open pipe as well but it was just so f'ing loud, I really couldn't open the throttle much with the pipe opened which is why I only have very short revs. Neighbors start having a shit fit and they crank on their Rap Music to piss me off.

Anyway, I will look at those two things tomorrow to see if I can fix it. If that is just the sound of this Supertrapp, then I will need a new plan.

Re: VooDoo 4-1 Supertrapp & Open Pipe Video

I went through the exhaust to insure that there was not any leaks and no pipes vibrating against metal. The end result is that the exhaust still had a tinny tone above 4k RPM.

I was actually a little disappointed until I took her for a drive. The tone is way different when riding. Much more like a Supertrapp exhaust and barely a hint of a tinny tone. Very drivable without any concern of being too loud.

Most important, I almost shit my pants when I layed on the throttle. I might have lost some HP by converting the Megaphone to a Supertrapp but I have a significant gain over the Supertrapp Slip-ons. I was only able to ride for 10 minutes and couldn't really ride hard. The process of tuning the carbs again is next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap-yki8yjwU

Can't play video. Says "This video is private" when I try.

My supertrapp sounded similar.. I had the discs on backwards.... caused them to vibrate... once I flipped them the buzz went away...

My supertrapp sounded similar.. I had the discs on backwards.... caused them to vibrate... once I flipped them the buzz went away...

I removed all the discs and ran opened and it still had a tinny tone past 4k when I was just revving the engine but much different when riding. Had it up to 7k and the tone was much nicer.

Back