Vrod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a t-shirt! I thought he would back off on it after the back end kicked out on him the first time. He has a couple that clank, that’s for sure.

I suspect that's not the first time he's been on that road.

Those near the road sheer rock walls are too-close to the roadway for me to want to carry any speed close-to them. Then again, I don't think I'd be trying to emulate his rapid transit, in the first place. Even-though his tires are right of the double-yellow, his helmet/head projects into the oncoming lane beyond the vertical plane of the double-yellow. An inattentive driver coming-from the opposite direction, texting or talking on their cell, wandering over the yellow, or even encroaching on it, around one of those blind curves, the rider wouldn't have time to-duck, much-less swerve before his helmet was impact-tested.

^^^^Totally agree with that although it may be the camera distorting the perspective, but still nuts.

Never have driven an XR1200. But I am going to drive two more vrods with the original exhaust and a Vrod muscle. Mighty comfortable bike for a fog, the deal will only be sealed if they drain the oil over a magnet and I get to see it. I want to make sure I have thoroughly tested a few more bikes, just in case someone mucked up the first one I drove. Now the straight chrome pipes on the first one made it sound like a two cylinder garbage truck going up a hill with max load, firing on the downstroke. I may have two in the garage, it will increase my insurance almost 300 bucks. I pay a third that on the max. I said what is up with this lady that thing is slower than what you are insuring in the garage. She said, well it is a Harley.....?????

#1 Anyone who thinks that their VRod will keep up with ANY Max is delusional. They CAN'T. On the OTHER hand, IMO, speed and who's fastest isn't the only parameter to judge a bike by. Personally, with the longer wheelbase, the VROD is a much better cruiser, more comfortable, at least to me. I also think some models are better looking.

IMO Yamaha made some of the best cruisers (AKA the Royal Star Tour DeLuxe) VMaxes however have only one purpose...to be the baddest fastest bike on the block, and they do it well. VRods are more about style and the Harley name. Pull a VROD into a bar, then a VMax. The ROD always generates interest, but the Max...well...not much. You have to be a Harley guy to understand. As the saying goes, "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."

vroda.JPG

Last edited:
No man, no brake on, maybe I was missing the boost. I had a buddy that bought a new volkswagon polo. That car was quick for a year. He told me he had lost power on the motor. We went to the field for two weeks so he dropped it off at the vw dealer in Wiesbaden and told them it was not fast anymore, fix it. I asked him how it ran when he got it back and he said like it did when it was new, they replaced the cams. Now, if that Vrod accelerated just a tad like the max, I would have brought it home. One of the techs said with straight pipes it reduces the power, the motor likes back pressure. The guy who owned it put on some aftermarket exhausts. Now I have read guys have driven those up to 90k miles with only oil, filter and plug changes.
That tech has no idea what he's speaking about if he said 'the motor likes back pressure.'
That's the whole thing right there with the straight pipes....... those pipes are making the motor work harder and reducing horsepower because they are causing the 'back pressure' in the exhaust pipes because there's no scavenging effect.

See this post about it where we were discussing why Cobra pipes without the collector reduce HP. Same with the Vrod and it's crappy aftermarket exhaust;
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/cobra-exhaust-tuning-recommendation.46778/page-7
Vinnie

But not you thou
You've obviously not come across a XR1200 in the hands of a man that knows how to use it.

View attachment 73127
Yes, XR1200 numbers speak for themselves. 80hp, 70ft.lbs., 0-60 in 4 seconds and 12.42 second quarter mile @ 106.41mph. Exactly the same numbers as any 1st or 2nd Gen VMax. Maybe that man didn't know how to use it.

Vrod against vmax. In standard form maybe the Max maybe quicker. I've had both and at the same time, once the 1250 Vrod had a different exhaust and airfliter then remapped it was a different animal, more power and torque. Handling and brakes on the Vrod are excellent.
All that being said even tho the Vrod was a great (awesome) bike I no longer have it .... but do have the Max. Handling and braking mods along side a optional 3000rpm vboost control makes it a great tool and I don't intend to sell anytime soon (if at all).

I've lined up with 3 Vrod's so far, all fun runs, all 1/4 mile flashlight starts. One supposedly has a "Stage IV" kit, one wouldn't say what he'd done to his, and one is bone stock (he and I ride together a lot) - my bike walked all 3 of these.

The guy with the "Stage IV" got pretty upset and was actually bitching about my Gen2 not being stock...seriously...

Is there a Vrod out there that will outrun me, I have no doubt there may be, have I found it yet...no.

The guy with the "Stage IV" got pretty upset and was actually bitching about my Gen2 not being stock...seriously...

Is there a Vrod out there
that will outrun me, I have no doubt there may be, have I found it yet...no.

As a VRod owner, I gotta say that ANYONE who thinks that a Stage IV kit on a Rod is gonna seriously challenge a Gen 2 is dreaming. If he wants to challenge you he should first go get a gen 2 then you'll be on even terms.

That said, my Rod has a V&H Pro pipe (the first gen like V&H used to have on their bikes) a K&N filter and a Fuel Pak dialed in correctly. It makes good power but is NO WHERE NEAR my 1994 Gen 1 with Delcoviches. He needs to appreciate the VRod for what it IS, not what he dreams it to be, or just go get a Gen 2 THEN start linin up
max941.JPG

Latest posts

Back