Vrod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2006 Harley-Davidson Night Rod - motorcycles/scooters - by owner -... (craigslist.org)

Not mine, no one I know (given recent talk of V Rod H-D's, in-lieu of fixing your VMax carburetors):
Probably a <$6K bike, 20K miles, some extras

2006 Harley-Davidson Night Rod with 20,276 miles. Bike is in great shape and runs great. It has a CFR exhaust, DynoJet Power Vision, K&N intake and a Garmin Zumo 395LM motorcycle GPS that can be removed. It's also been lowered 1". Has fresh oil and a new battery that's sitting on a battery tender currently. Has the LED Performance headlight option, LED fork turn signals, LED license plate lights and brake/tail light and rear turn signals. Cover and sissy bar are included. The bike rides great, sounds great, handles well and is just a generally fun bike to ride. It's never been laid down. Selling because I just don't have the time to ride like I used to and didn't put as many miles on it this summer as I'd like. Feel free to text me 740-851 - 9 1 7 8

2006 Harley-Davidson Night Rod - motorcycles/scooters - by owner -... (craigslist.org)

Not mine, no one I know (given recent talk of V Rod H-D's, in-lieu of fixing your VMax carburetors):
Probably a <$6K bike, 20K miles, some extras

2006 Harley-Davidson Night Rod with 20,276 miles. Bike is in great shape and runs great. It has a CFR exhaust, DynoJet Power Vision, K&N intake and a Garmin Zumo 395LM motorcycle GPS that can be removed. It's also been lowered 1". Has fresh oil and a new battery that's sitting on a battery tender currently. Has the LED Performance headlight option, LED fork turn signals, LED license plate lights and brake/tail light and rear turn signals. Cover and sissy bar are included. The bike rides great, sounds great, handles well and is just a generally fun bike to ride. It's never been laid down. Selling because I just don't have the time to ride like I used to and didn't put as many miles on it this summer as I'd like. Feel free to text me 740-851 - 9 1 7 8
I am on the VROD forum and these machines have many more issues than the VMAX, and this ROD listed above with all those MODS is problems just waiting to happen.

I am on the VROD forum and these machines have many more issues than the VMAX, and this ROD listed above with all those MODS is problems just waiting to happen.
"all those mods," appears to be an ignition box, a slip-on or full exhaust, and an air filter. Pretty-much similar to what a VMax owner might-do. It doesn't appear there is much which could go wrong. I have never-owned a VRod, nor worked upon one.

Something giving problems, I would think, would be a big-bore engine, stroker crank, high-compression pistons, valve-work, stuff like that. Isn't the VRod like the VMax in that the culinders are part-of the upper engine case (I don't know if it's split horizontally)?

I haven't worked on mine either but in the picture it appears to be a monoblock with the cylinders cast with the crankcase. And notice they put a removable frame section to get the engine out.

Attachments

• 20201204_162328.jpg
    20201204_162328.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 11
"all those mods," appears to be an ignition box, a slip-on or full exhaust, and an air filter. Pretty-much similar to what a VMax owner might-do. It doesn't appear there is much which could go wrong. I have never-owned a VRod, nor worked upon one.

Something giving problems, I would think, would be a big-bore engine, stroker crank, high-compression pistons, valve-work, stuff like that. Isn't the VRod like the VMax in that the culinders are part-of the upper engine case (I don't know if it's split horizontally)?
Dyno

Dyno Jet Power Vision,,don't forget that mod,,one that can cause real problems with the tune etc. It amazes me that someone buys a fine motorcycle and then all of a sudden thinks they know more than the engineers that took months or years to design the motor and the machine. Owner then spend big money on Mods that is totally lost when selling the machine, lowers the value of the machine, lowers the reliability of the machine, and usually causes great headaches and less driving time. Yes mods are great......:)

As with ANY bike the more mods you add the more trouble you'll have

Most 80s bikes were better off left alone, the stock exhaust on my 81 GS1100E was the best setup you could get. Any alteration would make the bike slower and not run as good.

A nice 2/1 V&H Pro header, a V&H fuel pak and K and N filter are all I need on my VRod and never a problem since i've had it. I think Terry Vance knows what he's doing he's the one that raced them for years and I'm comfortable with his recommendations.

The 2 VMax that I've had the only mod on one was a delkovich exhaust the other one was stock. If/when I get a gen 2 I'll look for a bone stock one and LEAVE it that way.

More times than not, that's spot on.

People do it because they want to "Mod". It's like "overclocking" in the computer world. There's really no need for it anymore. Let's face it, these bikes are built about as good as they can be built.

I wish I had a dollar for everybody I've seen completely ruin their bike by putting a power commander on it.

I'd buy a TON of mods for my bike! ;)

Most 80s bikes were better off left alone, the stock exhaust on my 81 GS1100E was the best setup you could get. Any alteration would make the bike slower and not run as good.

A nice 2/1 V&H Pro header, a V&H fuel pak and K and N filter are all I need on my VRod and never a problem since i've had it. I think Terry Vance knows what he's doing he's the one that raced them for years and I'm comfortable with his recommendations.

The 2 VMax that I've had the only mod on one was a delkovich exhaust the other one was stock. If/when I get a gen 2 I'll look for a bone stock one and LEAVE it that way.
The shop I frequent are drag-racing fans, and they like to build hot bikes, either for the strip exclusively, or street/track bikes. They like the KZ1000 J-model and the 4-valve Suzuki GS1100/1150 E/ES bikes for either type of use. Of course, the most-commonly modified bike is a Suzuki Huabusa, very-popular, lots of support in the aftermarket, and they are capable of impressive h.p. and still living. The GS1100/1150's they build where it's going to see significant (or only!) dragstrip use usually get 'sidewinder' exhausts. When you see the jugs with the MRE cast-into them, you know you're facing increased displacement, and the internal mods made to-allow the engine to live under strenuous use.

From my personal experience with KZ1000's, they were easy to work-upon, and they definitely would respond to hot-rodding, from bolt-ons, to engine-work. The air-cooled bikes of the early 1980's were likely the last easily-modified bikes where you could realize significant gains in h.p. Fortunately, I always had friends who were more-experienced than I, in tuning and in planning what mods, when. The machinist I've used for decades, he who does the 17" weld-up and 18" Gen. 1 bolt-up rear wheels, built billet heads for the KZ1000 J engine. Not-cheap! He does not use a HAAS multi-axial milling station. He used a Bridgeport, and he does it manually. I had bigger valves and mild porting in my KZ1000, with GPZ1100 cams and 33 Mikuni smoothbores, with a Kerker canister exhaust, with stock displacement. It resembled an '82 Eddie Lawson Replica, without the bikini fairing. It was a lot of fun, and it ran-well, but it was no 'world-beater.' Just a fun bike to ride, and to-enjoy. I've never-spent the kids' college fund on a heavily-built engine, because I can live vicariously through those who have and my bank account is the better for it.
Suzuki GS1100 sidewinder.jpg

Latest posts

Back