Vrod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#1 Anyone who thinks that their VRod will keep up with ANY Max is delusional. They CAN'T. On the OTHER hand, IMO, speed and who's fastest isn't the only parameter to judge a bike by. Personally, with the longer wheelbase, the VROD is a much better cruiser, more comfortable, at least to me. I also think some models are better looking.

IMO Yamaha made some of the best cruisers (AKA the Royal Star Tour DeLuxe) VMaxes however have only one purpose...to be the baddest fastest bike on the block, and they do it well. VRods are more about style and the Harley name. Pull a VROD into a bar, then a VMax. The ROD always generates interest, but the Max...well...not much. You have to be a Harley guy to understand. As the saying goes, "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."

View attachment 73139
People do look over the Vrod with amazement...wondering why Harley put their name on a Porsche made product! Truth is, the motor is made by Porsche and Harley put their badge on it.

If your name is Matt Hines, you can tell us how fast your Harley is, otherwise the word fast should not normally be used in the same sentence as Harley.
It is comfy, but not real fast...,fast when compared to the 1200 sportster.....

I've raced several vrods on my 94 the only one that beat me had a wheelie bar and slick and I'm sure lots of other stuff. It was a pretty close race. It was every bit as fast as my vmax but obviously launched much harder. Afterward in the pits we talked some about it and he was just sure I had nitrous or something. Lol you have to be careful in my area because there ARE some fast Harleys. Got my ass dusted off real good by a Dyna in street trim that I thought would be an easy target. Turns out, the guy was a serious machinist and engine builder and had done a magnificent job working the engine over. We talked for quite a while about it. I would hate to think what it would cost to pay for all that work to get the machine to run the way it should have from the start.

I've raced several vrods on my 94 the only one that beat me had a wheelie bar and slick and I'm sure lots of other stuff. It was a pretty close race. It was every bit as fast as my vmax but obviously launched much harder. Afterward in the pits we talked some about it and he was just sure I had nitrous or something. Lol you have to be careful in my area because there ARE some fast Harleys. Got my ass dusted off real good by a Dyna in street trim that I thought would be an easy target. Turns out, the guy was a serious machinist and engine builder and had done a magnificent job working the engine over. We talked for quite a while about it. I would hate to think what it would cost to pay for all that work to get the machine to run the way it should have from the start.
On my stock 05 owned since new and my only weighing between 147 and 155 pounds I can't see any Harley touching me on power roll on's. My 05 literally scares the shit out of me frequently when under acceleration. It is important to consider weight of the rider as well as skillz.

Ive run 4 or 5 Vrods with my 85 really not much of a race except for my buddies SE 1250 Vrod,which hangs in until about 90 ish then I start pulling him pretty good. I have ridden it several times and think it’s pretty nice. I wouldn’t even bother running him with my 09. The second generation Vmaxes are a whole different world.

I have the SE CVO, a Gen 1 and Gen 2, and they're all fun. The SE CVO is fun to look at and rides nice. Fast ? Relative to other HD's I suppose but that's all. The Gen 1 could lose 1 cyl and probably beat it, the Gen 2 could lose 1/2 the motor and then maybe one could call it a race, LOL.

Attachments

• 20201009_110150.jpg
    20201009_110150.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20201009_110240.jpg
    20201009_110240.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 46
I thought the 06 Screamin Eagle CVO Destroyer production/track bike was supposed to go 9's off the floor. Or maybe that is with a slick and wheelie bar???

I have the SE CVO, a Gen 1 and Gen 2, and they're all fun. The SE CVO is fun to look at and rides nice. Fast ? Relative to other HD's I suppose but that's all. The Gen 1 could lose 1 cyl and probably beat it, the Gen 2 could lose 1/2 the motor and then maybe one could call it a race, LOL.
It also appears that you have a carpeted shop. Very nice.

I thought the 06 Screamin Eagle CVO Destroyer production/track bike was supposed to go 9's off the floor. Or maybe that is with a slick and wheelie bar???
The Destroyers are kind of fast, but off road only, so not really in the Vmax class. I expect there would be plenty of off road only Vmaxes that could destroy the destroyer, lol.

I had a 2004 Vrod B model. Actually, I really liked the bike, never had any issues with it and made a few long distance trips as well. Mine was stock other than Screaming Eagle slip ons. As far as acceleration, it was pretty good.......but not in the same wheelhouse as my ‘09 Vmax. I traded in the rod for a Dyna Low S I bought new in 2016. I had the dealer install a 117 ci kit in it and it has acceleration comparable to my Vrod. On the dyno it put down 104hp/121lbs-ft of torque. Love the sound and performance but still not V-max acceleration. I love the look of the Harley’s and the low center of gravity makes them easier to ride if you have short legs(like me) but I love the Vmax for it’s performance and it’s unique look; it is the performance bike in my collection.

If you like the Vrod, buy one, try it out. But be realistic. You're getting style and little better comfort. In real world riding it's probably all you need. But rather than spending a small fortune trying to make it as fast as a VMax (if you ever could) just BUY a nice Gen 1 or Gen 2 Max and keep em BOTH if you can afford to. You'll have NO trouble selling the VRod if and when you choose.

If you like the Vrod, buy one, try it out. But be realistic. You're getting style and little better comfort. In real world riding it's probably all you need. But rather than spending a small fortune trying to make it as fast as a VMax (if you ever could) just BUY a nice Gen 1 or Gen 2 Max and keep em BOTH if you can afford to. You'll have NO trouble selling the VRod if and when you choose.

Latest posts

Back