Want to remove sissy bar on 1990 VMax but I think I need a "filler" spacer?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShrimpPimp

Reaction score
Go easy on me folks this is my first post. I have searched the forums and tried to find my answer before making a newbie post.

I just received a 1990 VMax with only 5,000 miles on it and I am beyond excited. The bike was just serviced with new fluids, carb tuning, and more. I rode it today and it is everything I remember. I owned a 1994 Vmax for 4 years while commuting to college as a daily driver. I dated my wife during that time and we practically lived on the Vmax. After being off bikes for a while we recently got back into riding and bought a HD Road Glide. Now adding a VMax to my garage is like stepping back in time. Anyhow, my wife will not likely ride on the Vmax much after being spoiled by the Road Glide at age 50...lol.

My VMax has a sissy bar and travel rack which I would like to remove for solo riding. I think it makes the bike look better without the backrest. It looks like the sissy bar is held on with 4 screes and easily removable. What I need is to locate the part that was stock to fill in the gap. I would like help to identify the part number so I could try and locate one. If you have one for sale or a source that's even better! I wasn't sure if calling a dealer would be the best option for locating a 30 year old part, but the nearest one is 30 miles away. Thank you for any help in advance!

Attachments

• VMax.jpg
    VMax.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 7.10.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 7.10.06 PM.png
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Where are you? Add that below your avatar. The OEM grab bar is lower in height than the sissy bar, which is an option no-longer produced. There are used ones out there, but to your advantage they are less-than the sissy bar, usually. The OEM one-piece grab bar replaces the three piece OEM sissy bar. There are other options, but this is what many choose to do.

Contact Captain Kyle [email protected] or Sean Morley, [email protected] for pricing on the OEM low-profile grab bar.

Last edited:
Where are you? Add that below your avatar. The OEM grab bar is lower in height than the sissy bar, which is an option no-longer produced. There are used ones out there, but to your advantage they are less-than the sissy bar, usually. The OEM one-piece grab bar replaces the three piece OEM sissy bar. There are other options, but this is what many choose to do.

Contact Captain Kyle [email protected] or Sean Morley, [email protected] for pricing on the OEM low-profile grab bar.

Thanks for your information and I will reach out to them. I added my location to my profile and saw your username. I was a deputy Sheriff in PA for two years before relocating to NC to be a police officer for 8 years. That was ten years ago for me, but I do appreciate your service.

Thank-you, I support the work of those who serve in hazardous conditions, whether it be military, police/LEO, fire and rescue.

The guys may also have another suggestion for you, to get what you want.

Sean will hook you up, especially if you want to trade your parts in to him. Haven't dealt with Kyle, but if fire-medic is recommending him, I'm sure he is solid.

Ask about the virago grab bar.
Good option. And you use the side pieces. You already have .

Thanks everyone for the advice. I actually logged my first ride yesterday of about 150 miles. Now I'm on the fence about removing the sissybar after realizing how nice it is having the ability to have storage in a tour pack. I got spoiled by my Harley and having the ability to pack drinks, phone charger, extra layer of clothes, etc. is really nice. I still may seek out the OEM parts to have on hand in case I change my mind. I'm going to give it a couple weeks and see which way I decide to go.

Attachments

• Vmax Stone Mtn.jpg
    Vmax Stone Mtn.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 20
I'd just mount a T bag to your current setup and rest it on top of the luggage rack. Looks like you are already set to go with the passenger seat area.

Go easy on me folks this is my first post. I have searched the forums and tried to find my answer before making a newbie post.

I just received a 1990 VMax with only 5,000 miles on it and I am beyond excited. The bike was just serviced with new fluids, carb tuning, and more. I rode it today and it is everything I remember. I owned a 1994 Vmax for 4 years while commuting to college as a daily driver. I dated my wife during that time and we practically lived on the Vmax. After being off bikes for a while we recently got back into riding and bought a HD Road Glide. Now adding a VMax to my garage is like stepping back in time. Anyhow, my wife will not likely ride on the Vmax much after being spoiled by the Road Glide at age 50...lol.

My VMax has a sissy bar and travel rack which I would like to remove for solo riding. I think it makes the bike look better without the backrest. It looks like the sissy bar is held on with 4 screes and easily removable. What I need is to locate the part that was stock to fill in the gap. I would like help to identify the part number so I could try and locate one. If you have one for sale or a source that's even better! I wasn't sure if calling a dealer would be the best option for locating a 30 year old part, but the nearest one is 30 miles away. Thank you for any help in advance!
I would be interested in Buying your Sissy bar if you would like to sell it. Thank you. Dale

Latest posts

Back