Warning, do not buy these

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thevmaxrider

Reaction score
All,

I had an experience this weekend that I need to pass along, especially after reading the busa caliper conversion thread about bolt change over!! I was looking for a way to convert over from the stock hex head caliper bolts to a button head bolt that needed an allen key in stainless or chromed. After searching high and low, due to the fact that Yamaha made them 10mm x 1.25 x 38mm, I only found them made by RoadKrome (think this is spelled correctly). After ordering up a box I changed over all of my caliper bolts to these style.

First problem reared its head shortly after I installed them. When you tighten them up the chrome flakes off around the allen key hole and they immediately rust.:damn angry:

Now to last weekend. When removing the rear caliper bolts the first one came out good, but the top one turned about 6 times then the threads galled and it jammed. To make a very long story short I ended up using a hacksaw to cut the bolt, removed the caliper from the bike, and threw it in the trash. I made multiple attempts to remove the bolt, but it looked as though it had rolled the threads in the caliper up along with the bolt. :bang head: Ended up pitching the caliper into the trash and installing another one that was at the shop.

I wanted to pass on my experience with these POS bolts and warn you gents to avoid them like the plaque!!!!

As well as the benefits of using anti-seize.

Sorry to hear of your issues Jim. That just sucks!

Lesson learned on the Anti-seize application LOL. Have never had a problem in the past with the bolts so it really didn't seem like it should have been an issue. If they were stainless bolts then I would put some on for sure. My supposition is that the chroming flaked off when the bolt was torqued and when I tried to remove the bolt it galled the threads. If that was the case I am not too sure Anti-seize would have helped, but it wouldn't have hurt either.

You are right! I have looked and looked for that size allen bolts in stainless. Nobody makes them except for a few places that wants $10 a piece for them. www.racebolts.com It's bullshit!

I rethreaded the bolt holes to 1.50 pitch on mine and use stainless bolts with no issues - the new threads look as good as the original ones. Saves the bullshit of trying to find 1.25 pitch bolts, especially in stainless.

Mike

Back