- Warp12's 1989 V-Max Adventure -

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shane are you going again sept 13th I believe that's the next one .

If Jason does another one, we will go. I think it will depend on how much interest he gets. If we could get some more guys to commit, I imagine the chances would be a lot better. As you can imagine, it doesn't make financial sense if too few of people sign up!

Do you know any other guys who might be interested? For anyone who hasn't ever raced, this is a big bargain...just for the instruction alone. It is also very easy to get 30+ passes down the track, if your machine is up to it!!

I am willing to help organize a V-Max "centric" day, if there is enough interest!

:punk:

There might be a few not sure if they have the equipment to race . I have an 85 that I kinda baby cause of 2nd gear problems that I don't want but I'm hoping to get a gen2 in the spring hopefully a lot more reliable .

mirsbs.jpg

http://www.streetbikeseminars.com

We have probably been to 20 of these. We have watched the seminars many times, now we just sign up to race. Jason is a fabulous instructor, and the information you will learn in one day is fantastic. I know guys who have raced for years and they don't know some of this stuff!

Drag racing is a bit of a science, and Jason is a bit of a scientist in that regard. :)

The bike was running at 98-99 mph in the 1/8th, and 121-122 at the 1/4. know from the dyno work that it is really fat in the midrange, and a little lean on top. I am sure that I can improve the performance significantly with carb tuning and intake adjustments.

MIR is a great track, and DA yesterday was not above 2000'. The combined weight was about 810 lbs. I found it hard to get the bike moving, and my best 60' was 1.88. I need some more seat time. I made 12 passes, and those were my first passes on anything in about 2 years.

But my real goal was just to have fun, and that I did! :biglaugh:
Never had my bike on a dyno so don't know where its at. I usually run 101-101.5 in the 1/8th

Never had my bike on a dyno so don't know where its at. I usually run 101-101.5 in the 1/8th

Is that with the individual filters? I am sure it has some more in it, I just need to fiddle with the carbs. I am doing the brakes this weekend, and also looking at the charging system, so that stuff will have to wait a little bit.

I set aside time this morning to work on the front brakes. As I mentioned prior, I had ordered some Spiegler lines through Brock's. I opted for the black lines with black ends, but there are many color varities to choose from.

I have the rear brakes and clutch lines as well, but today it is just the fronts!

Product info:

vmaxbuild174.jpg

One nice feature with the Spieglers, is that they feature ends that you can rotate if need be, and a tool is included:

vmaxbuild179.jpg

Basically you clamp them into the vice using the supplied pieces, and rotate them to your desired position. In my case, they fit perfectly as-is!! It is nice to have an easy option, though, just in case there is a little bind, especially if you have a modified front end setup.

In order to get the system dry quickly, I soaked the fluid right out of the master cylinder. This job can be a mess, and patience is a must!

vmaxbuild175.jpg

Got it all!

vmaxbuild176.jpg

I used a $40 vacuum brake bleeder, from Autozone.

vmaxbuild178.jpg

These work well for me. One important thing is that you must pump up vacuum pressure BEFORE you open the bleeder on the caliper...otherwise it won't work!!

I removed the Yamaha plate from under the headlight, really a requirement for this job!

vmaxbuild177.jpg

I removed everything with little mess, and fitted up the new lines. Make sure to look at how the old ones are oriented! The lines include the required crush washers. They are aluminum. Follow the torque specs on the included instructions!

I also cleaned up the calipers and installed new EBC HH pads. It is easier to do this before you attach the new lines. Watch for any fluid to leak out as you manipulate the caliper!

vmaxbuild181.jpg

I used the old rubber bushings to protect the lines. I simply cut the stock lines and removed them.

vmaxbuild180.jpg

I also "squished" the factory brackets, so as to clamp the line a little tighter and keep the rubber bushing in place. A little bit is all it takes, and it is easily done with pliers.

The work paid off, beautiful fitment!! The lines are the perfect length, and the ends have the proper bends. I also used the small rubber "cover" off of the stock lines that covers the bolt at the master cylinder. I love the black lines!

vmaxbuild182.jpg

vmaxbuild183.jpg

I will give a full ride report once I can get the bike out and bed the pads in. I'd like to get the other lines done as well, so that could be a few days. I have no reason to expect anything but a massive improvement, however!

Brake upgrades are popular on the early Gen 1. For now I just wanted to improve what I have. I have a setup for USD forks and radial brakes that I might add in the future, so I wanted to stick with the oem for now. :)

Test ride with the new front brakes: SWEET!! The Spiegler lines give this thing about 100x the feel of the old stock lines, and even with the limited use, the new HH pads grip excellently!

On a different note, the stainless Hindle exhaust is turning a nice golden color after the track day:

vmaxbuild184.jpg

I'm anxious to get the clutch and rear brake lines fitted. The bike is really coming along nicely. In other news, Captain Kyle is going to paint my extra bodywork! Yes, in the 1985 Purple, just like my dad's. :)

HEL Lines also have turnable fittings with anodized stainless. I have the full black option as well...

In other news, Captain Kyle is going to paint my extra bodywork! Yes, in the 1985 Purple, just like my dad's. :)

Glad you are keeping the stock bodywork. One of the best looking stock colors. Please don't change the scoops either. Only year with black chrome ones.

Glad you are keeping the stock bodywork. One of the best looking stock colors. Please don't change the scoops either. Only year with black chrome ones.

I also have an extra set of scoops. My scoops and cover are real carbon fiber:

vmaxbuild33.jpg

I am strongly considering black for the new scoops, and a two-tone on the '85 side panels that I picked up:

vmaxbuild84.jpg

Kyle says this will not be a problem (two-tone). So I might end up with a very similar paint scheme to the '89, but using the '85 purple as the primary color. :)

I am on page 17 of your ZX14 write up. I didn't read this one yet, but if its anything like the 78 pages of the zx14 write up.....I ll be up for hours reading.....;)

Todd

I am on page 17 of your ZX14 write up. I didn't read this one yet, but if its anything like the 78 pages of the zx14 write up.....I ll be up for hours reading.....;)

Todd

This has been a fun thread so far, and I think the best is yet to come! :biglaugh:

The joys of older bikes....

I broke a big rule of carbureted bikes and let the bike sit for about two months. I still needed to fix the charging system, so I went ahead and ordered up a rectifier. I also decided to try out a Shorai battery, since the Ballistic is now living in my race bike:

vmaxbuild185.jpg

The battery seems really nice, a decent fit, and the bike fired up with minimal issue. But of course it won't idle. I have to leave the choke on. So, it looks like I will get a chance to properly tune the bike...the carbs have to come back out. I also noticed plenty oil haze on the motor, and it also looks like the rear exhaust spigots have loosened up. All during the summer I had noticed that it would leak some oil down the left side of the motor when left on the sidestand. A light amount, always present. Not sure where that is coming from. The crankcase vent hose is on there tight.

So, she is going to need a good once over. I haven't installed the rectifier yet, but I hope that is where the charging problem is. If that doesn't get it, all that is left to do is replace the stator...when it doubt, shoot it with the parts cannon!! :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back