1st Gen V-Max - Warp12's 1989 V-Max Restoration: 3743 miles -

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gas thieves here have been punching tanks dry, and catalytic converter thieves have been using cordless reciprocating saws.

I'm kinda baffled here. I installed the spare tank and fuel, and some new lines, but I have hit an impasse.

The fuel pump is back to not running. I checked the voltage at the male end of the pump electrical connection, and it is only around 10.5v when the bike is switched on. The new Odyssey battery is sitting at 12.9v static, and when I energize the system it only drops to 12.6v.

Based on my earlier tests, I don't think 10.5v is enough to run the pump...and I don't know where the missing 2 volts is going.

Last edited:
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, well that is overstating things.

But, I went back to the garage a while later...and now the fuel pump works every time. The carbs are mounted, plugs installed, all the stuff.

It won't start. Not even with starter fluid. I guess I need to check for spark. Oddly though, I don't smell raw fuel from all of this cranking of the starter.

Unhooked each coil (COP mod) one by one. Grounded to frame, each plug does spark. Each plug was a little wet. Still no start.

Last edited:
Hit it with a boost box and some starting fluid (not too much)

Hit it with a boost box and some starting fluid (not too much)

I appreciate the suggestion. I actually managed to get it running right about the time of your post. I recharged the battery (the bike had charging issues before I parked it) and just let it sit for 20 minutes. No starter fluid. I don't know why for sure, but letting them sit and ponder their misbehavior seems to be a jedi trick with some of these things. I think maybe the plugs were just too wet? Anyway, it started without the choke, eventually. It smoked like a train for a long time...from the exhaust, and from the oil leaked down from the valve cover gaskets.

I forgot how good these things sound compared to an inline 4!

I replaced the fuel line, the intake boots and clamps, and these carbs were rebuilt by dannymax...I think around 6 years ago?

vmaxrest21.jpgvmaxrest22.jpgvmaxres20.jpg
After such a thrilling garage success, I treated myself to a very late dinner suitable for a king:

vmaxrest23.jpg
A Banquet pot pie and a Diet Dr Pepper. Does a man deserve such riches? 😄

Last edited:
I appreciate the suggestion. I actually managed to get it running right about the time of your post. I recharged the battery (the bike had charging issues before I parked it) and just let it sit for 20 minutes. No starter fluid. I don't know why for sure, but letting them sit and ponder their misbehavior seems to be a jedi trick with some of these things. I think maybe the plugs were just too wet? Anyway, it started without the choke, eventually. It smoked like a train for a long time...from the exhaust, and from the oil leaked down from the valve cover gaskets.

I forgot how good these things sound compared to an inline 4!

I replaced the fuel line, the intake boots and clamps, and these carbs were rebuilt by dannymax...I think around 6 years ago?

View attachment 84895View attachment 84896View attachment 84897
After such a thrilling garage success, I treated myself to a very late dinner suitable for a king:

View attachment 84898
A Banquet pot pie and a Diet Dr Pepper. Does a man deserve such riches? 😄

Best thing after a banquet pot pie. Is another banquet pot pie 🥧. Yummy

A strong battery helps things. Let us know how it runs if you're able to take it out, and if it starts easily after getting cold.

Seems like it started easily.

A strong battery helps things. Let us know how it runs if you're able to take it out, and if it starts easily after getting cold.

Seems like it started easily.

I have a number of things to do before it can be ridden. I also haven't really addressed my fuel tank woes, just swapping the spare in.

I did solve the gas cap problem, though:

vmaxrest24.jpg
It may seem inconvenient carrying a roll of aluminized duct tape everywhere you ride, but you never have to worry about it seizing up. Plus, the weight savings and custom aspect.

I just cranked it over. It didn't light off instantly on full choke, but a little choke and it started right up. The carbs probably aren't just right with the combination of 4/1, stock jetting, and airbox/filter. It makes good power though, when last checked.

Latest posts

Back