WashBoard Bumps

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
Hello All
I know the answer to this question is going to be very subjective, what I am looking for is what others have done. So thanks in advance for helping

Where I live in So Cal my commute takes me across a higway that is made out of concrete and has those absolutely f*cking annoying washboard bumps. I am changing out the front springs and lowering by 1.5".

I have decided to go with the Progessive 412 series shocks due to budget and going to keep it stock height or lower to 12". Dont want to go any lower because on the weekend girl friend and I go out. Want to keep the travel comfortable for her as well.

Looking at the spring rates between the shocks is more than a little frustrating.
I weigh 230 and she weighs 130 (dont ask why she is with me =) The majority of the time I am riding solo, commuting 160 miles per day. Obviously I am looking for a softer spring rate while still being able to carry her. All help, opinions, answers are greatly appreciated.
13" 105/150 (lbs/in)
13" HD 120/170
12" 115/155 (this is the one I am leaning towards)
12" HD 125/170
HD(heavy duty)

Cheers :cheers:

I'd base your spring weight on just your weight and not include your girlfriend's weight. Adding her weight will increase the stiffness of the spring, which it sounds like you do not want. However remember that too soft a spring will make the washboard bumps worse. You may want to save a few more $ for a more adjustable rear shock as you are going to have to play with the preload, compression and rebound damping to get the setting you want.

Hello All
I know the answer to this question is going to be very subjective, what I am looking for is what others have done. So thanks in advance for helping

Where I live in So Cal my commute takes me across a higway that is made out of concrete and has those absolutely f*cking annoying washboard bumps. I am changing out the front springs and lowering by 1.5".

I have decided to go with the Progessive 412 series shocks due to budget and going to keep it stock height or lower to 12". Dont want to go any lower because on the weekend girl friend and I go out. Want to keep the travel comfortable for her as well.

Looking at the spring rates between the shocks is more than a little frustrating.
I weigh 230 and she weighs 130 (dont ask why she is with me =) The majority of the time I am riding solo, commuting 160 miles per day. Obviously I am looking for a softer spring rate while still being able to carry her. All help, opinions, answers are greatly appreciated.
13" 105/150 (lbs/in)
13" HD 120/170
12" 115/155 (this is the one I am leaning towards)
12" HD 125/170
HD(heavy duty)

I had the 12" heavy duty 412's and they were great. I weigh 230-235lbs depending on how recently I've taken a crap:biglaugh:

My wife weighs 110 :worthy:

I ran them on light pre-load with me and almost Maximum pre-load with both of us on there.

I was very pleased with the difference these shokcs made.

I forgot to raise the pre-load once tho' on a 250 mile ride thru some very hard "bottoming out" rollercoaster hills and bottomed them out so hard and so many times that one of the shocks starting puking all the oil out.

I blame that on me tho' and not the shock, I think for the money they are a decent value.

I'm running Works Performance shocks now.

Rusty

I would go with the HD 12 inch shocks. I have the 11.5's and I have some rubbing issues with my 180mm radial.:damn angry:

I would go with the HD 12 inch shocks. I have the 11.5's and I have some rubbing issues with my 180mm radial.:damn angry:

This is what I ordered. I will post the results after I get them installed. Thanks for all the help guys

Latest posts

Back