Watch Out For This!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil-3446

Reaction score
Tires smokin, heard a big thump about 1 am. Looked out the window and saw a s-10 or something with one headlight turn around at the end of the driveway.

I live almost 3/4 of a mile off the main road, m&d live about 1/4 mile ahead of us, and heard this.

Dude came back and woke my m&d up thinking he hit one of our cows 10 minutes later. We looked everywhere for it for almost 2 hours and found nothing.

This morning while dad went to get the paper, he found this.

Have 5-7 that we can hand feed with corn living in the front yard. State came and got him and said he weighs 268 lbs.

They are soo tame I can fire a BBC with open headers up and they move closer.

Attachments

• 8_point.jpg
    8_point.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 87
Ya unfortunately we have a few poachers around our house as well.
Hope they catch those bastards...

woops, thought you meant a poacher got it

Last edited:
I dont think he was implying the driver of the S-10 was poaching but rather he hit it by accident? I've already had two close calls this fall.

Just missed one south of Gainsville a couple weeks ago in my wifes little Saturn SL2 - would have totalled it for sure. I had to lock that baby up.

Tires smokin, heard a big thump about 1 am. Looked out the window and saw a s-10 or something with one headlight turn around at the end of the driveway.

I live almost 3/4 of a mile off the main road, m&d live about 1/4 mile ahead of us, and heard this.

Dude came back and woke my m&d up thinking he hit one of our cows 10 minutes later. We looked everywhere for it for almost 2 hours and found nothing.

This morning while dad went to get the paper, he found this.

Have 5-7 that we can hand feed with corn living in the front yard. State came and got him and said he weighs 268 lbs.

They are soo tame I can fire a BBC with open headers up and they move closer.

I hit an 8 pointer , about the same size, a few years ago. Just a flash in the headlights and wham!

No possible way to miss him, or even react before the impact.

It'd been curtains if I was on my bike, luckily I was in my p/u.

Many car/deer accidents every night around here. It's a major problem, and the reason I don't ride the max after dark.

We tagged a small doe a couple of years ago when we were driving past my shop no the way back home from town. Sucker jumped out from the shop driveway on a suicide mission. Must have been driven mad by the revving on the shop eariler in the day.

She was sucessful in that mission and took out the grille, turn light, radiator, and ac condensor on the suburban. Bumper and fender survived.

Had a friend hit one years ago in his aunts Z24 Cavalier. Totaled the hell out of the car and the deer only jumped into the side of it!

Dad hit one back in the early 80's on the bike. Wasn't pretty but he came out of fairly well for the most part. His 850 tripple was toast though.

We tend to be more watchful for the eyes that glow about 6 feet off the ground. By the time you realize it's attached to a body you damn near hit the horse! They aren't pretty to hit either since they usually end up in the front seat with you.

Sean

I'm working on cutting down the population here... I've got my bow tag I'm working on filling and I got 6 last year during shotgun season... we'll see what I can do this year.

We tagged a small doe a couple of years ago when we were driving past my shop no the way back home from town. Sucker jumped out from the shop driveway on a suicide mission. Must have been driven mad by the revving on the shop eariler in the day.

She was sucessful in that mission and took out the grille, turn light, radiator, and ac condensor on the suburban. Bumper and fender survived.

Had a friend hit one years ago in his aunts Z24 Cavalier. Totaled the hell out of the car and the deer only jumped into the side of it!

Dad hit one back in the early 80's on the bike. Wasn't pretty but he came out of fairly well for the most part. His 850 tripple was toast though.

We tend to be more watchful for the eyes that glow about 6 feet off the ground. By the time you realize it's attached to a body you damn near hit the horse! They aren't pretty to hit either since they usually end up in the front seat with you.

Sean

Moose are the worst!! They just don't show in the headlights most of the time, and being tall usually come through the windshield.

After hitting the 8 pointer I got some of those "deer warning whistles" and hit 2 more does within 6 months!

So, IMHO, don't waste your time or money on those things.

I have a deer whistle on mine. I have yet to see a deer cross the road with it and I've had it for several years. I have almost hit a turkey though.

I was once talking to a body shop guy and he said over 50% of the cars he fixed from deer hits had the deer whistles. No idea what kind of backing that has but something to think about....

I don't know if they work or not. But, I'll keep it for luck.

Sounds like a plan. I wonder if there's ever been any research on whether they deter deer or draw them near or neither....

Sean

Moose are the worst!! They just don't show in the headlights most of the time, and being tall usually come through the windshield.

After hitting the 8 pointer I got some of those "deer warning whistles" and hit 2 more does within 6 months!

So, IMHO, don't waste your time or money on those things.

Yah, we have moose here too. They are impossible to see at night, dark bodies blend in way too well and even though they are part of the deer family their eyes don't relect light. I had a close call with one a few years back and I can tell you if I had hit him he would have beeen sitting in my lap. I was rounding this long bend to the right at about 60 mph and this moose trots out of the left side ditch crossing into the lane in front of me. Luckily it was far enough ahead of me that I was able to swerve into the other lane to avoid him. All I saw was this big moose ass fill up my windshield as my heart bulged out of my chest. It scared the chit out of me for sure. I have had several close calls with deer and none of them scared me like that moose did. I imagine hitting a horse would be very much the same as a moose.

Dad and I were going down the main road a couple of years ago and 2 does jumped in the back of my truck!!!!!

When I say we feed deer with corn, It's actually "we have thousands of deer around here and they all trust us".

We live very close to a US Nerve Depot, and they banned hunting in 2001. Needless to say, the deer population has gone wild :biglaugh:

Serious!!!!

Sounds like a plan. I wonder if there's ever been any research on whether they deter deer or draw them near or neither....

Garrett, I got this whistle from my mom as she works at State Farm. They no longer sell them so maybe they don't work?

I know those road demon bells don't work. I laid my bike over with one. It destroyed the bell.

Garrett, I got this whistle from my mom as she works at State Farm. They no longer sell them so maybe they don't work?

I know those road demon bells don't work. I laid my bike over with one. It destroyed the bell.

Mark...

You'd be better off throwing corn around here than trusting an ultra pest device.

The wildcats just jump out of the woods around here, and the deer want to be fed.

Attachments

• fat_kira.jpg
    fat_kira.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 20
My Dad used to live in PA and swore by them deer whistle you stick on the front of your car. He hit 2 deer within a 5yr period.
I dont believe they work, I think they bother the deer and cause them to move so ya have a 50/50 chance on the way the run...

Doesnt matter now the deer are in there breeding period and could care less about a whistle..

All becareful now until the 3rd week of Novemeber.
Deer are in the rut
Hunters in the woods moving deer.

a riding buddy of mine hit a doe doing 60 on his gsxr1000 broke both ankles and his collar bone, stood his back back up and waited on help.:punk:

I hit a buck earlier this year with my 7mm lol I just wish it was that big. I know all the CHP up here in Northern Ca run Deer whistles. We used to sell a ton.

Back