Water in the engine oil ? (Gen 1)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3-Max

Reaction score
Changing out the clutch cover today (orig was cracked & leaking) & noticed what looks like some drops of water in the oil drippage. There was also some white stuff (water/oil emulsion?) on the inside of the old c/cover. Didn't see anything like this when I changed the oil mid 2022. Hasn't been ridden much at all since. Thoughts please.

pics - water drops (?) roughly lower centre of the bowl. White sludge roughly 11 o'clock at the edge of the cover.
GEDC2479.JPGGEDC2480.JPG

Have you been running the engine for short periods?
If you aren't loosing any coolant then it may well just be condensation that has naturally built up over the winter or down to running the engine without it getting up to operating temperature..

I'd wait until things warm up, mark the coolant level on the expansion bottle then run it till it fully reaches operating temperature i.e. ten miles +.
Once it cools down see if the level has dropped.

If it has then the two places I'd check would be the water pump seals although these tend to leak externally and the oil/ water heat exchanger (the pencil box shaped doofa between the cylinders).
If it isn't overheating or blowing water out of the overflow then a head gasket problem is unlikely.

Yeah short run time has been very much the norm, there's been so many things needing attention, most recently carb's (again) & rr brakes. Stored in unheated garage.

There has been some very slight coolant leaks from the rad drain cock valve & an associated pipe, which are next on the list to fix, which will involve draining the coolant system. Once that's done I'll take your advice & keep a close eye on the expansion bottle levels.

I'm sure it's ok. Clean it all up then just make sure to run it until fully warmed up when you can.

Yeah short run time has been very much the norm, there's been so many things needing attention, most recently carb's (again) & rr brakes. Stored in unheated garage.
IMO that is what is causing the issue. I wouldn't start an engine unless you can get it up to operating temperature

I wouldn't start an engine unless you can get it up to operating temperature
Pretty much all the short run time has been to check everything is back in place properly, not leaking and actually works. Advice noted. Thanks.

Thanks everyone helping put my mind at rest that this likely nothing serious. I'm looking forward to being able to be actually going for proper rides :) The one time I've managed that (without wondering if It would get me home) I loved it.

Back