Water pump gasket repair

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopropucope

Reaction score
Hello all. New to this forum but not to the endless joys of riding motorcycles. Need some help from forum members. I am looking at buying a 2005 vmax but has a oil leak. It is the right side gasket for the water pump along with the 3 o rings. He said the shop can do the fix for $300 bucks. The individual I would be buying the bike from seems like a stand up guy so no issues on him. Should I be worried about this or any other issues to be concerned about. I owned the 85vmax and loved it but sold many years ago to buy a work van. After that had a 03 Fz1 for 10yrs and loved it. Current ride is a 09 zx14 and yes it is really fast. I guess I just never got over selling the 85 :punk: and need another one. I have looked at the newer ones but still like the old style look the best. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Also is the 2nd gear issue resolved yet? Had it done on my 85 about 3 miles before extended warranty ran out. Whew.

here is the message from him.
The only issue that I had with the bike was small oil drip on the right side. I noticed a small film on the right side header. I immediately took it in and they said it was a simple gasket. It was not a big concern to the mechanic so I have the gasket but have not put it on. If you would want me to have it installed first, I would just add $300 to the quoted price. They quoted me $278 to install it. "

Also is the 2nd gear issue resolved yet? Had it done on my 85 about 3 miles before extended warranty ran out. Whew.

I have a picture of the parts he purchased but so far have not been able to post. I can read 1 of the 3 but not completely the other 2. I is another o-ring and 1 is a gasket.
1 o-ring is a yamaha part# 93210-27778
1 gasket Yamaha 3- ?? 12449-02
1 o-ring unreadable

Last edited:
Greetings and welcome to the site. :biglaugh:

I would have thought it unlikely to be leaking from more than one place so first try to establish exactly where the coolant is coming from.

Worst case scenario is that the internal seal is on its way out and this manifests itself as a drip from a small hole at the base of the pump housing.
One other area is from one of the elbow O rings. It's uncommon for any other area to leak.

Unless you are blessed with fifteen thumbs then any of the above is easily rectified and doing it yourself will save a significant part of the $300 dealer bill.
While you are doing it you should also take the opportunity to drain and flush the cooling system then re-fill with fresh anti-freeze.

If you need a manual look here.

As for any other issues to be aware of, have a look here.

The 2nd gear "issue" basically stems from clutchless shifts into 2nd....and a maladjusted shift lever doesnt help either. It can happen to ANY Vmax.

Back