Water pump mounting surface pin hole

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamax

Reaction score
I was cleaning my engine block when I came across this pin hole that resides in the dowel hole of the water pump mounting surface. I tried to blow it with air but it seems blocked, I also tried to see where it leads and I could not figure it out.
Vmaxers and Vmax gurus any idea? :worthy:IMG-20121031-00418.jpg

I was cleaning my engine block when I came across this pin hole that resides in the dowel hole of the water pump mounting surface. I tried to blow it with air but it seems blocked, I also tried to see where it leads and I could not figure it out.
Vmaxers and Vmax gurus any idea? :worthy:View attachment 32401

Must be a casting flaw, far as I know nothing travels thru the dowel holes.

Paranoid, I have removed the water pump from another Vmax engine I have, the same pin hole exists.... I am afraid that it is not a casting flaw.... and why would they worry about machining this particular hole and not others...
:confused2:

I'm an old school machinist so kinda shooting from the hip, but could this be a locating or starting point for some machining process....like milling the flange face or boring/champhering the other dowel pin holes.... something like that? :ummm:

Hmmm, come to think of it that's probly what Sean just said! :biglaugh:

I looked at a 1986 ~ 1300 Venture block & dowel pin hole doesn't have small hole in it.

Gary

Hmmmm... you guys must be correct. I will also look into an 86 block I have for the sake of the knowledge. I thought it is a blocked orifice that needed cleaning but obviously not. Thank you all for the input... :)

Back