Water pump question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
First off let me apologize, I know there has got to be a thread on here that will answer my question but for some reason my phone will not allow me to select the search option on here. Anyways, I have a 2006 Vmax and I've noticed a small coolant leak coming from the weap hole on the water pump. 1st question is how hard is it to do a pump rebuild yourself because I don't want to take it to a stealership to do it if I don't have to. Although I did get a quote from one and they said it is a $300 job. 2nd question is, will it hurt my bike if I continue to ride it until I get this fixed?
If anyone can send me a link to a thread about this it would be greatly appreciated.

Easy to do for a fraction of stealer cost.

A small leak is no problem, but it can go from small to big in a short time.

All water pumps have the "weep" hole to let you know that the "crying" is coming in full force soon.

Your ceramic seal is on it's way out. It keeps oil and water separate,so. The whole list of parts is on the thread, the bearing is important as are all the parts. It's a job I think most people can do in an hour or so, with basic tools. We're here if you need us. Welcome to a great forum.
Steve-o

Just to throw it out there. This goes out to anyone who has replaced the bearing and seals themselves.
After changing the coolant the first few times on your bike, did you notice the black fish flake size particulate that came out with the coolant? I've changed my coolant a few times now in 5 years and have found that this stuff has tapered off almost nothing. My thought is that it's powder coating/finishing on internal coolant passages etc. flaking off.
My point is...
I think it's this stuff that "takes out" the ceramic seal prematurely on the Vmax.
Any thoughts?

Not sure what that material may be.
I didn't buy my max new but, I was the first one to change the coolant in it. I've done it 2 times since. I found no debris of any kind at any of the coolant changes.

So Sean mailed all the parts to rebuild my Gen1 water pump. I haven’t been able to build it yet completely do to Family matters. But this picture I’m providing is the Ring that the oil seal seats inside of. This is a defective housing, thats No tool mark and can’t be from bearings over heating. I’m guess the seal was pliable enough to seal the defect maybe until it dryed out. Like I said it’s not built yet 17124A8A-7139-4CC7-B687-2E706B919A4D.jpegand won’t be for a few more days. But I’m thinking of Not even building the pump house8223E1B1-59E1-4A2F-B1B4-40D20FCDF4F3.jpeg

Attachments

• 52AA69AE-EC38-4AA0-AB4C-7AE1D62149C6.jpeg
    52AA69AE-EC38-4AA0-AB4C-7AE1D62149C6.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1
Interesting. It likely would seal and be ok but no way to know for how long.

it is interesting it’s almost like its real porous like pot metal. That picture is a bit distorted after coming into my phone and resending. I feel like I should either get another pump rebuild kit from you when I come through town or just Halt everything and chase down a new pump housing. I feel it maybe another 30,000 miles or 25 miles but that seal may not hold. What about filling? I’m pretty okay with tooling not the best and have know idea of what type of medium to use

I've used Bondo body filler to smooth garfs in the seal bore of aluminum front fork tubes.

I chose it over epoxy and other materials because it sands easily so it can be shaped without changing the shape of the aluminum.
Okay Thanks I’ll give it some thought

Any idea at All what the Hell this micro Spring could of went to? It was stuffed inside the Oil seal, you know how it’s got that inside race if you will. Well this thing was inside. Does that seal seat open end against bearings? 005EC8DA-24E4-4C18-BC09-88DB5CC90328.jpeg

I've used Bondo body filler to smooth garfs in the seal bore of aluminum front fork tubes.

I chose it over epoxy and other materials because it sands easily so it can be shaped without changing the shape of the aluminum.
I’m not in front of the housing but the picture my boy sent me that is No Tool Mark, or wear, I’m not sure of the process they use of casting the housing but it would be interesting to find out. Was it a defect in the mold or was the molting metal off

My bet would be the spring is part of the seal, like example below.
1647421361414.png

I’m not in front of the housing but the picture my boy sent me that is No Tool Mark, or wear, I’m not sure of the process they use of casting the housing but it would be interesting to find out. Was it a defect in the mold or was the molting metal off
I agree, it looks like a void in the casting.

Latest posts

Back