Water Temp Sensor Mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimvette999

Reaction score
No.... just some prefer a sending unit that will kick on fan sooner at lower temp. The go to sender was the Borg Warner but that find can be elusive so the second choice is the Standard Motor Products which I listed.

Sorry... sensor I bought for $8.52 shipped, appears to be USED. Works/closes at 180* but is was listed as NEW VINTAGE\, not VINTAGE. So, my apologies for the "lead".

Is this on a Gen2? I always thought it took to long for the fans to come on. A lower temp switch maybe the solution.

Is there an actual thremostat in the cooling system? I know on cars you can get lower temp thermostats.

Thanks

Is this on a Gen2? I always thought it took to long for the fans to come on. A lower temp switch maybe the solution.

Is there an actual thremostat in the cooling system? I know on cars you can get lower temp thermostats.

Thanks
Gen 1 and yes there is a thermostat. Here's what it looks like.
https://www.ebay.com/i/264467331547...MIub6IiY-95wIVCNbACh0E7wpyEAQYAyABEgJSafD_BwE
The only problem with the new sending units "on" point at 180* is that the fan will run even while bike is in motion, when it's not needed. I've been thinking about a wheel or RPM sensor to break the connection when the bike is in motion. I already had a manual switch to turn the fan on manually but the factory sensor was IMO, causing the fan to come on later than it used to....nearly to the red zone whereas it used to be where the black dot is. I always planned to switch out the sensor but now I see how the fan runs unnecessarily, when I'm moving. The fan comes on now when the needle just begins to cover the Phillips screw center.
Jim

Gen 1 and yes there is a thermostat. Here's what it looks like.
https://www.ebay.com/i/264467331547...MIub6IiY-95wIVCNbACh0E7wpyEAQYAyABEgJSafD_BwE
The only problem with the new sending units "on" point at 180* is that the fan will run even while bike is in motion, when it's not needed. I've been thinking about a wheel or RPM sensor to break the connection when the bike is in motion. I already had a manual switch to turn the fan on manually but the factory sensor was IMO, causing the fan to come on later than it used to....nearly to the red zone whereas it used to be where the black dot is. I always planned to switch out the sensor but now I see how the fan runs unnecessarily, when I'm moving. The fan comes on now when the needle just begins to cover the Phillips screw center.
Jim
When ever you lower the fan switch you need to lower the thermostat to go with it or else the fan will run all the time.

True, but if I can devise a RPM switch, say 2k or above to trip/shut off fan, I'd be in business. Thank you.

I think I'm going to use this integrated in/on/near my fan shroud to sense air flow while moving say 15mph and greater. It operates with a half ounce of force and I plan to make a "pressure plate" to actuate the plunger that is of a "light pressure" requirement. This is a N.O. or N.C. switch that I will use as N.C. and will break when switch is tripped with air flow. I just need to find my bailing wire, shoe goo, zip ties and a shade tree.

L42AD-AN00A1_1-1-300x228.jpg

http://jmpswitches.com/product/sensitive-light-force-plunger-switch/

Just curious why put in a lower fan temp switch if you don't want your eng. to run cooler.

Just curious why put in a lower fan temp switch if you don't want your eng. to run cooler.

Thermostat opens 180*, fan sending switch closes at 180* so fan runs most of the time. I want the fan to run and keep engine cooler than stock configuration BUT the fan need not run while bike is moving through the air (which is approx. 80% of the ride time). So, I want to shut off fan when bike is in motion to save the wear on the fan motor than would be running even while I'm going fast enough for the air flow to cool WITHOUT the fan. The sail switch I plan to install will do the same actions I do.... click on the fan when come to a stop, turn off the fan when I'm moving again. None of this is really necessary, it's just the way I'd like it to be. Metallurgy, oils, plastics, electronics, etc. all are affected negatively by heat, especially excessive heat. I feel that temps north of 180* are unnecessary and detrimental so I replace all my thermostats in my vehicles with 180* thermostats vs. 190*-200* thermostats that EPA regulations have forced upwards for emissions goals. Hope that explains my position.
Jim

Thermostat opens 180*, fan sending switch closes at 180* so fan runs most of the time. I want the fan to run and keep engine cooler than stock configuration BUT the fan need not run while bike is moving through the air (which is approx. 80% of the ride time). So, I want to shut off fan when bike is in motion to save the wear on the fan motor than would be running even while I'm going fast enough for the air flow to cool WITHOUT the fan. The sail switch I plan to install will do the same actions I do.... click on the fan when come to a stop, turn off the fan when I'm moving again. None of this is really necessary, it's just the way I'd like it to be. Metallurgy, oils, plastics, electronics, etc. all are affected negatively by heat, especially excessive heat. I feel that temps north of 180* are unnecessary and detrimental so I replace all my thermostats in my vehicles with 180* thermostats vs. 190*-200* thermostats that EPA regulations have forced upwards for emissions goals. Hope that explains my position.
Jim
I have a 180 thermostat also & my gauge runs right at 4:00. When my gauge gets to 3:00 my fan comes on. That being said the only time my fan comes on is if I sit for any length of time & as soon as i'm up & moving it's off. I don't have to do a thing but ride.

I have a 180 thermostat also & my gauge runs right at 4:00. When my gauge gets to 3:00 my fan comes on. That being said the only time my fan comes on is if I sit for any length of time & as soon as i'm up & moving it's off. I don't have to do a thing but ride.
Yours sounds ideal. My fan was coming on at 2:00ish and also only came on while sitting still too long, but I don't like it that crispy. It used to come on when it got to the dot @ 3:00. But now with new fan sensor, it's on even at 3:15. When I come to a stop it's still on. Thanks for your reply.

Yours sounds ideal. My fan was coming on at 2:00ish and also only came on while sitting still too long, but I don't like it that crispy. It used to come on when it got to the dot @ 3:00. But now with new fan sensor, it's on even at 3:15. When I come to a stop it's still on. Thanks for your reply.
You can get a fan switch like I have on ebay for $ 58.65.

Back