Water Wetter Anyone?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't but I know enough people that live in warmer climates that have had really good results with it.

I have used it for years in my old drag/street car and my bike. It was originaly designed for the race track when antifreeze is not allowed. It works as it claims, put is no magic fix for a cooling system that is not working properly.

I just flushed & switched over to Hyper-lube yesterday - I think it's about the same stuff as Redline - won't know the results 'till the weather gets hot.

It's really designed for use with 100% water. I never noticed a thing on either of my bikes...

I use Engine Ice coolant now and notice it cools faster once the thermostat opens or the fan kicks on.

I am running this in my Max and although it does not appear to lower the maximum operating temperature in summer riding (per the temp gauge) it does take longer to get to maximum temp and cools down faster.

I tried it and saw no noticeable difference...prolly because I'm still using anti-freeze. I've read elsewhere that people have had good results using it with just water like 4gasem said.

IMHO, only good for track days when coolant isn't allowed.

Mark

IMHO, only good for track days when coolant isn't allowed.

Mark

I am running 15f cooler with water wetter. I ran the bike first before the water wetter to make sure no leaks after the rebuild.
It ran around 185 w/o water wetter and w water wetter I am avg around 170 at idle with fan running, but thanks for your opinion.

Not using it in my max, but I used it a few years ago in my 250 KTM....wow, ever shed heat a lot better.....first ride out with it my legs were hot because so much more heat was coming out of the rads and onto my legs as the air passed through the bike. I'm not having any issues with my max, but next time i change the coolant water wetter will be going in!

I had a friend that developed some kind of gunk in his Vmax radiator several years ago. He had to replace the radiator and was never sure he cleaned it all out of his coolant system and got rid of the bike. No one at the Yamaha shop or anywhere else could figure out what happened. He was an avid Water-Wetter user as are several of my friends.

A couple years later I heard some talk about Water-Wetter causing a problem in seemingly random cases. I found the attached info on a bike forum and saved it.

For what it is worth, I never use Water-Wetter after these instances. A good, clean system with fresh coolant should be ok.

Attachments

• Red Line Water Wetter.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 23
I first came upon water wetter when I was going to AMI in daytona beach. This is when I started racing in CCS also. Some guys I met at track days, open practice and races used it and some didn't. The ones that did use it changed it often because it was notorious for degrading and leaving a build up in the cooling system...forgot the verbiage its been a while. I asked my instructors at school about it and they all said to use engine ice. They explained to me that water wetter works well but you do have to change it out often because of the before mentioned problem. So what m-cman said is common with avid water wetter users that let it sit in the bike for a long period of time. I was told if I used it to flush the system after every weekend of riding. I stayed with engine ice. I will go to engine ice when I flush this system for the first time whenever that time comes around. my .02

I had a friend that developed some kind of gunk in his Vmax radiator several years ago. He had to replace the radiator and was never sure he cleaned it all out of his coolant system and got rid of the bike. No one at the Yamaha shop or anywhere else could figure out what happened. He was an avid Water-Wetter user as are several of my friends.

A couple years later I heard some talk about Water-Wetter causing a problem in seemingly random cases. I found the attached info on a bike forum and saved it.

For what it is worth, I never use Water-Wetter after these instances. A good, clean system with fresh coolant should be ok.

Copy and pasted!

Redline Water Wetter.

This product is supposed to increase the efficiency

of the cooling system.

I don't know if any of you have ever come across this

situation before but I thought I should share the

information I received from the technicians at Red Line

Synthetic Oil Corporation regarding my recent experience

with their Water Wetter product. It seems that if the PH

of your coolant mix is too low the silicates in their

product can come out of solution. In my case this

manifested itself in the form of pea sized gelatinous

globules forming in the coolant mix. These globules

eventually float to the surface forming a thick scum.

Fortunately, as I pre mix my coolant solution, this did

not occur within the radiator. I can only imagine that

flushing the gelatinous scum out of the cooling system

would be quite a tedious chore, to say the least. The

technicians at Redline suggested that the 50/50 mix is

what caused the PH to drop too low and that using a

lower percentage of anti-freeze and the minimum amount

of Water Wetter in the mix should alleviate the problem.

The mix I was using when this occurred was as follows...

1Ω Gallons Prestone Ethylene Glycol Anti-freeze

1Ω Gallons Distilled Water

1 Bottle Redline Water Wetter

(makes 3 to 5 gallons as per instructions)

FYI, changing the concentration of the mix in an effort

to adjust the PH after the fact did not bring the

silicates back into solution. Rather than experiment

with varying solutions I have opted to avoid the problem

altogether by simply not using the Water Wetter product.

. . .. I stayed with engine ice. I will go to engine ice when I flush this system for the first time whenever that time comes around. my .02

2d for the http://www.engineice.cc/ . I used water wetter and the royal purple stuff as well. they work, but not as well as the engine ice. !$20 for 2qts at any cycle shop I have seen it in.

My update on water wetter.

This is my setup.
190 automotive thermostat.
Manual Fan over ride switch.
Water Wetter mixed with 50/50 prestone anti freeze.
Numeric Style water tempature gauge.

It was 101F here.
My tempature never got over 195f with fan running in traffic:eusa_dance:
Interstate cruising 90MPH 190.

Those that dont know what the temp is, I believe the first red mark on the OEM gauge is 210f :confused2:

i tried it in my big block chevelle.it dropped the temp down about 4 to 5 deg.

Put in a whole bottle when i flushed and filled with long life 50/50 coolant

did not notice any difference at all

save yer money for gas !!

Latest posts

Back