Weak yellow spark

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G max

Reaction score
Hi my 89 vmax 1200 is getting a weak spark on all the plugs the pickup coils have good reading and the spark plug coils and wires are all ohms okay and at 1000 rpms it's putting out 14.15 volts but I'm still getting weak yellow spark and not good blue spark.

Try removing the spark plug caps and trimming-off maybe 1/4" -1/2" from the spark plug leads, if they're greenish-color. Smear a bit of dielectric grease on the wire end before you screw-on the plug caps. Make sure the male screw inside the plug cap is nice & shiny too. If it isn't, use some sandpaper or a file to clean it up, or just replace them, they aren't expensive.

The 1989 model is the last year of the two pickup coil analog ignition system. From 1990-2007 they had the better system. It used one pickup coil, and different electronics less-susceptible to failure.

I'd suspect the TCI might possibly be the culprit, as all 4 are weak. Retest spark after disconnecting the side stand switch, and see what happens. Best to contact Sean Morley and see if you can borrow the electrical parts kit. An 89 like Phil mentioned, has the old analog ignition. The Ignatech upgrades us to a digital system with many useful options. A COP's upgrade makes the old bikes more reliable too. IMO. Again talk to Sean for all your needs.

Latest posts

Back