Webike Japan steering damper

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prmurat

Reaction score
Since I got my 2nd 1st GEN Vmax in 1995 I have been able to beat the death wooble away for a long time... Now that I had to attach a sidecar to her it is back with a vengeance. It is, kind of, the price to pay with a sidecar but it is scary and happens only some time with no rime or reason... For a while I had a Mercedes damper but it was so hard that I got rid of it.... ' cause I have "raked" trees I cannot use a nice Scott (tried!) and I bought one from Webike Japan: NHK : Steering Damper Kit [20-16-438].
User manual is made with a 5 years old drawing just showing the parts in the kit and instructions in Japanese; has anyone installed one of these? Ant pics to show (specially where the bracket attaches to the frame)?

Thanks!!
Pic just for funIMG_5354.JPG

Since I got my 2nd 1st GEN Vmax in 1995 I have been able to beat the death wooble away for a long time... Now that I had to attach a sidecar to her it is back with a vengeance. It is, kind of, the price to pay with a sidecar but it is scary and happens only some time with no rime or reason... For a while I had a Mercedes damper but it was so hard that I got rid of it.... ' cause I have "raked" trees I cannot use a nice Scott (tried!) and I bought one from Webike Japan: NHK : Steering Damper Kit [20-16-438].
User manual is made with a 5 years old drawing just showing the parts in the kit and instructions in Japanese; has anyone installed one of these? Ant pics to show (specially where the bracket attaches to the frame)?

Thanks!!
Pic just for funView attachment 76472
Can't help you with your wobble (sorry) - especially as it relates to the addition of the sidecar, but that sure is a nice looking rig. I had a yellow '94 once. It looks really good with the car. Hope you get it sorted.

I'm sure Sean Morley has seen the same thing I have, where the damper mounts across the bike, just-behind the steering head hex bolt, instead of the method where it mounts to the bike in the vicinity of the bottom triple tree, to the downtube, and the other end to the frame, w/the threaded heim joint. Not long-ago, someone had pics on-here where someone drilled a hole in the left scoop, I believe, for the rod to pass-through. It got the job done, but it wasn't as-elegant as one of those transverse-mount jobs, behind the steering head.

I've seen a few different types. The hyperpro is one of the better ones. I only have pics of a few types

Attachments

• bracketery_1.jpg
    bracketery_1.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 39
  • damper_main_view_1.jpg
    damper_main_view_1.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 40
  • damper_main_view_2.jpg
    damper_main_view_2.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Hyperpro Steering Dampener.jpg
    Hyperpro Steering Dampener.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Hyperpro Parts to be chromed.jpg
    Hyperpro Parts to be chromed.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5289.jpg
    IMG_5289.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 42
Thank you for answers... the Webbike Japan is different and should have a chance to mount with my different triple trees, here is the pic of their catalogue, can’t find any mounting place under the scoop/electric component etc.FBC40F4E-AB67-4990-8A35-492DA7194655.jpeg

Looks like a 'generic' fit steering damper and I've got a similar one mounted on my YSR50...

From the picture you have attached, and looking at the other pictures on Japan.Webike, it seems that people have mounted it in all manner of ways. The picture you attached above shows what looks to be a mount to the frame under the scoop. I would bet you didn't get any kind of mount like that and are likely going to have to fab up something for the frame side.

I like Sean's mount behind the scoop on that sand-color supercharged bike. It's out of the way, and more-protected in the event of a tip-over. The ones above the top triple tree and by the steering head big-headed bolt are the best-protected. A Scott Hyper-Pro, they look like a biscuit, but I know you guys in the U.K. call cookies, biscuits, so I'll say, a muffin. Sean also mentioned it by-name. A lot of so. FL guys run those on their sportbikes.

Surely a generic damper.... the bracket coming with it do mention Vmax.... I do not see where the threaded mount can bolt on the frame, this was the intent of my question....759635A7-B45C-41AF-AC1E-38FA315BEF7E.jpeg

(1) ダミータンクを外す。

(2) エアークリーナー外周のビスを外し、エアークリーナーの蓋を外す。

(3) メーター取り付けナットを外す。

(4) サイドフレーム下側から、ステーAを差し込み、上からステーBを乗せてカラーを入れてステーBが少ししなる程度にボルトを緩めます。

(5) ハンドルを左側に切ったときフレームとカバーが当たらないように注意してください。

全て取り付け出来たら ダンパーブラケット ボルトを少し強め ダンパー本体をスライドさせハンドルを左右に動かしたときにストロークがどちらも同じになる位置でボルトを締めます。

-------------
(1) Remove the dummy tank.

(2) Remove the screws on the outer circumference of the air cleaner and remove the lid of the air cleaner.

(3) Remove the meter mounting nut.

(4) Insert stay A from the bottom of the side frame, place stay B from above, insert the collar, and loosen the bolts until stay B is slightly bent.

(5) Be careful not to hit the frame and cover when turning the handle to the left.

After installing all, strengthen the damper bracket bolts a little and tighten the bolts at the position where the strokes are the same when the damper body is slid and the handle is moved left and right.

--------------------

I typed out Japanese, and put in Google translate LoL
This is translation of left half of manual.
The word in (4) "stay" I am not sure word in English, I have Gen2 Vmax so cant really help tiny detail. (oh, I see, Stay A, StayB is in pic on Right, maybe some term of "bracket" in this case. )
If you need help let me know :)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot... guess it is where I went wrong: took off all the left side but not the air cleaner top! Will try manana !
Thks again!!

Thks for your help, I must admit that the two flat metal pieces “bending “ slightly around a frame tube was not something I would have tried ... does not seem very mechanical!
I now have to try it.... as I just changed the front tire, it should be a good test!CE87C3F0-3A0C-4881-9664-7D8255A587E1.jpeg

Sorry to resurrect this thread but did this improve things? Asking as I'm now actually on the raod with my trike & getting a lot of bump induced headshake & wondering if a damper would help.

Back