Weep hole leaking coolant

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLA-Vmax

Reaction score
2018 Vmax with Voodoo pipes, tune, and air box mod.

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if I should be concerned about this or not. This is my first Vmax so I don't know the quarks of this engine and what is normal and not. I had it tuned by Guru and the tune is great. I highly recommend.

My concern is that I have coolant leaking from the weep holes at the top of both right side cylinders upon starting cold and then after I run it hard when warmed up. Has anyone experience this before and should I be concerned? It only has 6000 miles but they are hard miles. On my 3rd tire :)

I have gotten info from Guru on this matter but just thought I would ask the community as well.

He said "The weep holes on the Gen 2 are for the Spark Plug recess in the top of the head. If there is anti freeze leaking from it, it has to be dripping into the recess from somewhere else."

I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this and if I should bring it in for warranty work. Yamaha told me as long as I didn't open the motor then all work is covered.

Pull the right scoop, and check the radiator cap, or the hose for the expansion tank. Everything to do with coolant is on the right side, like the gen 1s. Might have a loose clamp or something easy.

Last edited:
Hi from Cold Sweden.....I have had the same problem on my 2009 when I bought it last Year (13000 km) . I solved it use to thighten all clamps on Cooling lines just a "Little" (careful not to hard easy to break them then You got more problem with all coooling lines and peaces)
After that problem more or less have disappeared ….have seen Little tendence when warm out Thinks its small leaks.
But still my bikes cooling system temp is unstable … can not hold steady a temperature on cooling water…. have You the same problem?
//Lars-Erik

Are you sure it's coolant? It's very common to have drip stains below those holes after the bikes been washed or been rained on. You won't see them normally until you run the bike a bit.

Are you sure it's coolant? It's very common to have drip stains below those holes after the bikes been washed or been rained on. You won't see them normally until you run the bike a bit.

I get a white residue after I wash it, wipes right off. Got the same thing on my gen 1 after I washed it.

Hi Not100 % sure is cooling water but first time the "white mess" was coming during a hot longer trip not directly after a wash... after that I dismanled external covers and tighten all cooling clamps I could find.
After that the "white mess " is gone more or less total but had som very ugly "brown mess" coming out after I had washed without running afterwards standing still 1 week looked like rust !
Tricky with this fullblood !
// Lars-Erik

Back