Weeping white stuff

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoNosAll

Reaction score
I recently purchased a beautiful 2009 Vmax. I loved my 85, but it was time for an upgrade. Anyway, I have noticed that on the right side of the bike, there is a white substance that is weeping out of the holes at the head. I don't have a clue what it is, unless it is a little antifreeze coming out. Any ideas?

Also, my ABS light has been coming on. I removed the wheel speed sensor and sprayed it down with brake cleaner. After a few miles riding, the light went out. After a few rides, it is back on. Speedo stops and the light is solid. The sensor was shiny and clean. Other than replacing the sensors, anything else I should try?

Attachments

• 20171120_191025[1].jpg
    20171120_191025[1].jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20171119_151304[1].jpg
    20171119_151304[1].jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 64
Is that a weep hole for coolant? That's what it looks like to me.'
My KTM's have a similar hole.

Congrats on your new bike. You're going to love it!

That hole is just a drain for the sparkplug cavity. You're just seeing the remnants of some water from it's last wash.

As far as the ABS light, do you have an aftermarket integrated taillight (brake/turn combined)? Some versions will turn the ABS light on and require a resistor wired into the light to prevent that.

I recently purchased a beautiful 2009 Vmax. I loved my 85, but it was time for an upgrade. Anyway, I have noticed that on the right side of the bike, there is a white substance that is weeping out of the holes at the head. I don't have a clue what it is, unless it is a little antifreeze coming out. Any ideas?

Also, my ABS light has been coming on. I removed the wheel speed sensor and sprayed it down with brake cleaner. After a few miles riding, the light went out. After a few rides, it is back on. Speedo stops and the light is solid. The sensor was shiny and clean. Other than replacing the sensors, anything else I should try?

Congrats on your new bike. You're going to love it!

That hole is just a drain for the sparkplug cavity. You're just seeing the remnants of some water from it's last wash.

As far as the ABS light, do you have an aftermarket integrated taillight (brake/turn combined)? Some versions will turn the ABS light on and require a resistor wired into the light to prevent that.

That's what it was ! THANK YOU for reminding the old man!:biglaugh:

Yes that bike is awesome and some day hopefully I'll have one too!

I think the bike is 100% stock. Taillight does not look aftermarket to me. The only add on is a set of factory saddle bags. Which can hold just about nothing, but they look nice.

Attachments

• 20155691_10211584237995224_5870053557091136901_n.jpg
    20155691_10211584237995224_5870053557091136901_n.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 64
So, I thought I should update you on the progress of this issue. I checked the codes and it was throwing the abs sensor code. After riding it for a week or two (only one or two days each week) the check engine light came on. I ran the codes and it threw the code because the ecu has not received any info from the rear wheel. No speed, and no distance traveled. That sucks. Not terrible though as the odometer also does not roll over. None the less, I ended up removing the wheel speed sensor from the rear wheel and cleaning it again really well with brake cleaner. I also sprayed brake cleaner in the opening for the sensor and rotated the rear wheel while doing it. Hoping that there was just something on the wheel side of the sensor. I have put it all back together and so far so good. I have a speedo and the lights on the dash have gone out. We shall see how long this lasts. If it throws the code again, I feel I may be replacing the wheel speed sensor and the abs sensor. Am I the only one who has had this problem?

Update: I fired up the bike to ride to church and everything worked fine for about 1/2 mile. Then the abs light came on. The ride is only 3 miles or so. Parked the bike for several hours and came out to ride home. Speedo worked for 1.5 miles and then on came the light again. I have ordered an abs speed sensor and the rotor sensor. I figure it must be one of these because it works after spraying them with cleaning fluid.

Update: I replaced both the rear wheel speed sensor and the rear wheel sensor rotor. Both seemed fine. The speedo was back for a few miles, then it went to the ABS light again. I am about to take it to the shop. I will try bleeding the brakes to see if that may make a difference, but this one is stumping me. Unless the ABS module is bad. I know they go south on cars, but I would hope not too often on bikes. The bike only has 6800 miles.

Back