Weight savings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the Exhaust. Don't have a center stand. Got rid of the rear fender already. Looking at a battery now !! What's available in the way of wheels ???

Tons of options on wheels. Start Googling. Everything from low weight magnesium to comparatively weightless carbon fiber.

Of course, you're ranging from the hundreds of dollars per rim to the thousands of dollars per rim. If you can afford it, it's out there.

The battery isn't even in the top 3.

Exhaust you can lose around 15 to 20 pounds depending on the brand you buy to replace it and losing the center stand that weighs 6 pounds all by itself.

Just getting rid of the rear fender and the steel under it is around 10 to 12 pounds.

The wheels and tires combination can save a good deal of weight. Going to lighter rims and tires both front and rear can net you 15 pounds or so.

The best you're going to do on a battery swap OF A FACTORY VMAX BATTERY is around 6 to 8 pounds.

That does NOT count some battery you kept around your garage for the last 15 years to weigh just in case this thread came up or any boat anchor fiberglass mat batteries someone looked up on the internet that never came in the bike to begin with.
You know it's people like you why I don't say much on a forum. Sometimes you give out some good info, but your biggest problem is not what you say but how you say it. It doesn't seem like you think about anything anybody has to say because in your mind you already know the answer. With you on the forum I don't see why they need Sean, Captain Kyle, Danny Max or anybody else that has any knowledge. All it needs is people with questions & you got the answers. I don't know if your married or not but if you are I feel VERY SORRY FOR YOUR WIFE. And for your info my stock battery is a Duralast & it's 6 or 7 yrs. old not 15. Here's another one for you to go off on. I made all the internals for my mufflers & they only weigh 4 pounds & if I remember right the stock muffler weighs 35 pounds so do the math it's more than a 20-pound saving. But I'm sure you were here when it was done so you will correct me on everything, I'm wrong on.

That does NOT count some battery you kept around your garage for the last 15 years to weigh just in case this thread came up or any boat anchor fiberglass mat batteries someone looked up on the internet that never came in the bike to begin with.

So you're resorting to claiming people are weighing a non-vmax battery now? Basically claiming they lie? You're pathetic. You should have quit a while back & you're only embarrassing yourself now.

So you're resorting to claiming people are weighing a non-vmax battery now? Basically claiming they lie? You're pathetic. You should have quit a while back & you're only embarrassing yourself now.
You said that. I didn't.

I was simply being hyperbolic. Fact is, you can NOT buy a factory replacement battery today that is so heavy you can save that much weight. If you could, somebody would have posted a link to it by now.

I looked. There isn't one. I posted links to them.

None of the "my factory battery weighed over 14 pounds crowd" every posted a single link to a battery weighing that much. Not one.

Because there isn't one anymore and hasn't been for years if in fact there ever was one. It literally does not exist.

Yeah well hyperbolic does read better than "exaggerated". It is curious that your dismissive of your own exaggerations but quick to pounce on others.
I'd also like to point out for the second time that I was not using the stock battery as a comparison. I was using the PC680 that I took off my bike.
The issue with you, is and has always been the fact that your insulting. ShawnD is exactly correct in his evaluation. I told you the battery came off my bike and you absolutely accused me of lying or at the very least purposely misleading to make myself right.
Contrary to most of your very expensive weight saving suggestions the battery is a lot of bang for the buck. In my case it was approx. 10lbs however even 6 to 8 lbs is significant when you combine it with exhaust and some other bits.
Your suggestion to find lighter wheels is your best. Find wheels that are enough lighter to make it worth the trouble and kindly let us know how much they cost. I'd be surprised if you could find them for less than $2000 each.

Here's this thread in a nutshell:

Him: 2 + 2 = 5

Me: That's not correct. 2 + 2 = 4

Everybody else: WHY DID YOU HAVE TO CORRECT THAT?! WHY ARE YOU SUCH AN ASS?! HE WAS CLOSE ENOUGH!!!

😭😭😭

How do you figure? I QUOTED your post so yes, you did say that.
No, I didn't.

Here's what I said:
The battery isn't even in the top 3.

Exhaust you can lose around 15 to 20 pounds depending on the brand you buy to replace it and losing the center stand that weighs 6 pounds all by itself.

Just getting rid of the rear fender and the steel under it is around 10 to 12 pounds.

The wheels and tires combination can save a good deal of weight. Going to lighter rims and tires both front and rear can net you 15 pounds or so.

The best you're going to do on a battery swap OF A FACTORY VMAX BATTERY is around 6 to 8 pounds.

And here is what you said:

So highlight for me where I called anybody a liar. In fact, if you bothered reading the thread you would see that the person that weighed the battery DID NOT COME UP WITH 10 POUNDS OF SAVINGS, ergo it DOES NOT COUNT.

Your mission, hotrod, is to find a regular acid fill battery for the Gen 1 or Gen 2 Vmax that weighs at least 12.31 lbs.

Because that's the standard it would take to save "at least 10 pounds".

To date, nobody has ever been able to do it. They've run their mouths for days on end over it, but not a single one has ever actually done it.

Last edited:
I’m sorry I unknowingly exaggerated when I used the phrasing “at least”. I should have said “ I saved about 10 lbs when I switched from a pc680 to a shorai lion battery.
“Your mission, hotrod, is to find a regular acid fill battery for the Gen 1 or Gen 2 Vmax that weighs at least 12.31 lbs.”
The pc680 is a regular sealed lead acid battery which is a well discussed replacement for the gen 1 and it weighs 13.45 lbs.

I should still have the factory battery from my '14 sitting around my garage. I replaced it.. last year.. and I'm sure I didn't recycle it. So if I can find it and weigh it, that'll help settle some sort of argument?

There really isn’t much of an argument. I made a weight saving suggestion that could have been worded better.
The issue is and has been across multiple threads and several members that parmino is insulting. I let it get under my skin and shouldn’t have.
However don’t let that stop you from weighing your battery and posting the results. I don’t mind being wrong or corrected. Although for my experience I did save more than 10 lbs.

There really isn’t much of an argument. I made a weight saving suggestion that could have been worded better.
You made a bogus claim. Full stop. Here it is:

Don't forget the battery. Converting to a lion will save at least 10lbs.

When I pointed out that it simply was not true, the entire forum lost its collective mind.

It was a very simple point: there IS NOT a battery that ever came in a Vmax that weighed so damn much you could save 10 pounds by replacing it with a 2.5 pound lithium battery. I've checked. They don't make one. They never did. The only type of battery that has a chance are the fiberglass mat batteries, but they never came in the bike to begin with, so the point again is wrong.

I am right.

You and everybody else that argued against that fact are wrong.

And yet here you still are with your hangers on continuing to argue a losing point.

flogging_dead_horse_what.jpg

It's not even about the "argument" any more. It's about the theater surrounding it. In some strange way, I have to confess it's been almost entertaining.

Too bad the discussion couldn't have been held directly - over beer and pizza. With a tape measure handy to see who REALLY has the biggest mammalian protuberance (to borrow from Frank Zappa).

It's not even about the "argument" any more. It's about the theater surrounding it. In some strange way, I have to confess it's been almost entertaining.

Too bad the discussion couldn't have been held directly - over beer and pizza. With a tape measure handy to see who REALLY has the biggest mammalian protuberance (to borrow from Frank Zappa).
You would need a scale for the mammalian protuberance because I’m sure the tape measure won’t be accurate also make sure the scale is certified🤣🤣🤣🖕

Back