Weight savings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parminio
Real nice explanation of the horsepower to weight ratio. when you say That 25 pounds could take you from 11.5 seconds down to 11 flat, maybe a bit beyond. puts it in perspective
thanks

Well the PC680 that I replaced weighed 13.45 lbs.
So you BARELY save 10 pounds. Nice way to change the goal post by coming up with a battery that isn't factory.

Let's review your statement:

Don't forget the battery. Converting to a lion will save at least 10lbs.
No Vmax has ever come with anything other than a plain, acid filled battery. But now all of a sudden you're comparing an after market boat anchor glass matt battery that never came in the bike to the acid core that did?

Fact is, you simply exaggerated and I pointed it out.

Why do you always feel the need to be a dick?
By stating fact instead of bullshit like you do? Seriously?

You spout all kinds of complete bullshit on an almost constant basis, like your suspension advice that will get somebody killed if they follow it.

How about you stop posting complete bullshit and get your facts straight and someone posting the actual facts wont appear to be such an asshole to you.

Last edited:
Parmino, you like these jousting arguments so I'll give it a go.
#1 I was simply offering up another significant weight saving idea. Pointing out that I may be exaggerating a bit would have been fine. But you didn't just offer your thoughts. Like almost always, you did it like a dick. That is what I have a problem with. In my defense I never considered the stock battery weight I was recounting my and my best riding buddies actual experience. A little further investigation I discover that nobody I know that rides a vmax uses the stock battery so although my weight savings value was posted innocently, for most part I'm right.

#2 I did not give any suspension advice. Your narrow mind strikes again. You see or read something and your tunnel vision interprets it, usually incorrectly. I simply stated what happens when the front is lowered more than the rear. No advice given. Just like when sdt354 suggested drilling out a jet. Your response was your usual dick head because you could only imagine trying to do it with a handheld power drill. Narrow mind, no imagination. Talk to any older carb guy and they (like I'll bet Danny does) have a set of drill bits just for jets. Guess what they don't put them in a power drill the turn them by hand. Again your questioning whether or not it can be done was not the problem. The problem is you questioned it like .......a dick.

#3 You are very proud of the fact your bike is bone stock despite some well documented modifications resulting in measurable improvements in charging, braking, oiling ....... I think your just scared to do anything and that probably reflects in your riding. I however ride aggressively and have experimented with suspension settings on a number of bikes specifically lowering because I'm short. In the case of my vmax my initial goal was to get as flat footed as I could and that resulted in the front being 1" lower than the rear and guess what.... it turned in much faster. Not only did I ride it on the street but put a lot of mileage on the race track and not the drag variety. Guess what no killing, no accidents and my bike handled great. I'm not saying there weren't any ill effects but they weren't noticeable and I didn't come close to crashing due to suspension issues. I'm no expert but if you listen to the "experts" and the inexperienced (like you) they'll have you thinking you and your bike will explode if change anything. Bikes can take a lot more than you think and stay upright if the rider doesn't panic.
Lastly I'm not disputing that ill effects can and do occur when you mess with suspension settings especially doing it blindly, however your riding will adjust and compensate and then you decide if the sacrifice is worth what you gained. No drama, no dying.

The moral of the story Parmino is .....Don't be a DICK. Your input is valuable. Please stop being so insulting when you question something you may not understand.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah
The date on this post you "suddenly" have a problem with was made nearly three weeks ago on January 1st.

You're just pissed off because I posted this on Saturday:

Lowering link | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Showing you that you were once again wrong. And just so we're clear, here's the entire post:

Starting with stock geometry if you lower the front more than the rear the bike will turn in more quickly.​
Which is what you should never, ever do.​
That completely unbalances the suspension, can cause uncontrollable snap oversteer and leads to high sides. But don't take my word for it. Take it from the professionals.​
"First, as a general rule, never lower the front without lowering the rear," Langley says. "You can lower the rear without lowering the front, and what it does is give the bike more of a chopper effect. But if you just lower the front, you unbalance the bike the wrong way."​

And you got all butthurt because ONCE AGAIN the bullshit you talk turns out to be WRONG. So you come crawling back here after spending God only knows how much time hunting down a battery that would save you 10 pounds so you could bitch up a storm about it nearly a month after the fact.

So go on and continue crying. I'd rather point out to someone that you're wrong and what you are saying IS NOT TRUE rather than them waste time, money, effort and quite possibly lose their fucking life over some stupid bullshit you posted.

Last edited:
The date on this post you "suddenly" have a problem with was made nearly three weeks ago on January 1st.

You're just pissed off because I posted this on Saturday:

Lowering link | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Showing you that you were once again wrong. And just so we're clear, here's the entire post:

And you got all butthurt because ONCE AGAIN the bullshit you talk turns out to be WRONG. So you come crawling back here after spending God only knows how much time hunting down a battery that would save you 10 pounds so you could bitch up a storm about it nearly a month after the fact.

So go on and continue crying. I'd rather point out to someone that you're wrong and what you are saying IS NOT TRUE rather than them waste time, money, effort and quite possibly lose their fucking life over some stupid bullshit you posted.
Just for your info from a stock battery to a Shorai made for a V-MAX it's 9 5/8 of a pound lighter.

Parmino, you like these jousting arguments so I'll give it a go.
#1 I was simply offering up another significant weight saving idea. Pointing out that I may be exaggerating a bit would have been fine. But you didn't just offer your thoughts. Like almost always, you did it like a dick. That is what I have a problem with. In my defense I never considered the stock battery weight I was recounting my and my best riding buddies actual experience. A little further investigation I discover that nobody I know that rides a vmax uses the stock battery so although my weight savings value was posted innocently, for most part I'm right.

#2 I did not give any suspension advice. Your narrow mind strikes again. You see or read something and your tunnel vision interprets it, usually incorrectly. I simply stated what happens when the front is lowered more than the rear. No advice given. Just like when sdt354 suggested drilling out a jet. Your response was your usual dick head because you could only imagine trying to do it with a handheld power drill. Narrow mind, no imagination. Talk to any older carb guy and they (like I'll bet Danny does) have a set of drill bits just for jets. Guess what they don't put them in a power drill the turn them by hand. Again your questioning whether or not it can be done was not the problem. The problem is you questioned it like .......a dick.

I don’t have any jet drill bits but I have jet “files” which do the same thing I’m just glad no one is threatening to leave the site because they are butt hurt.
carry on.

Just for your info from a stock battery to a Shorai made for a V-MAX it's 9 5/8 of a pound lighter.
That's actually the battery I quoted.

The factory battery is an XT16AL-A2 and weighs 9 pounds.
Xtreme High Performance 12V 16AL-A2 Powersport Battery - CYL16ALA2XT at Batteries Plus Bulbs

The Shorai part number is LFX18L1-BS12 and weighs 2.31 pounds.
Shorai Lithium Battery LFX18L1-BS12 | 10% ($19.00) Off! - RevZilla

The difference is 6.69 pounds.

So just for shits and giggles I went looking for the heaviest 16AL-A2 factory battery I could find. It's at Advance Auto Parts and weighs 11.2 pounds.
Power Sport Battery 16AL-A2: Advance Auto Parts

The difference on that is 8.89 pounds.

Regardless, absolutely none of them are "at least 10 pounds" are they?

That's actually the battery I quoted.

The factory battery is an XT16AL-A2 and weighs 9 pounds.
Xtreme High Performance 12V 16AL-A2 Powersport Battery - CYL16ALA2XT at Batteries Plus Bulbs

The Shorai part number is LFX18L1-BS12 and weighs 2.31 pounds.
Shorai Lithium Battery LFX18L1-BS12 | 10% ($19.00) Off! - RevZilla

The difference is 6.69 pounds.

So just for shits and giggles I went looking for the heaviest 16AL-A2 factory battery I could find. It's at Advance Auto Parts and weighs 11.2 pounds.
Power Sport Battery 16AL-A2: Advance Auto Parts

The difference on that is 8.89 pounds.

Regardless, absolutely none of them are "at least 10 pounds" are they?
I have both batteries sitting here & put them on a scale & that's the difference. The stock battery weighs just shy of 12 pounds not 9.

I have both batteries sitting here & put them on a scale & that's the difference. The stock battery weighs just shy of 12 pounds not 9.
Is it "at least 10 pounds" of savings?

No. It is not.

I tell you, the ability of some people to argue a completely wrong point and actually give evidence that they are wrong and somehow believe that they are right is mind boggling.

I'll bet a million dollars I don't have that you watch Fox News on a daily basis.

No. It is not.

I tell you, the ability of some people to argue a completely wrong point and actually give evidence that they are wrong and somehow believe that they are right is mind boggling.

I'll bet a million dollars I don't have that you watch Fox News on a daily basis.
Let me correct that for you "I'll bet a million dollars I don't have that you watch CNN on a daily basis."
Much better hahaha

Too bad we didn't get the lock I suggested. Saw this one coming. Once again, Parmesan has injected his political slant into the discussion. As I recall, he got booted for that not too long ago:

Post #11781 of the "What did you do to your VMAX today? Part 2" thread: (in response to eerily similar postings now mercifully removed):

At the risk of "inciting" further violence, I'll unfortunately bite. You are hot tempered. You have no qualms about speaking your mind (whether right or wrong). You inject your political slant by insulting those who differ. It is a common theme. It gets old. I don't typically engage in these discussions, but I happen to like coming on this board. Most of the time, we do fine. But, when we don't, you are usually involved.

Give it a rest.

Sound familiar?

Argument for the sake of argument is neither entertaining nor enlightening. Neither is throwing politically-charged or implied insults at others. I'm going to attribute it to a lifetime of bodily pain and suffering recently revealed, still a rather weak excuse, but it's all I've got.

I've always frequented this forum because it's tended to be a bit of a respite from the dregs we normally have to sift through in other quarters of the internet.

Not always...

No. It is not.

But you were shown to be wrong too, with your 9lb comment. So you're just as wrong as the people you accuse. Then the Fox news comment that has absolutely nothing to do with anything regarding the original post...Vmaxxximum was right. Stop being a dick.

8 lbs. or 10 lbs. on a bike that weighs 600+ lbs. You guys have spent pages arguing over the hair on a mouse's nuts.
It's hard to take of a lot of weight off at one time unless you know of someone that already did it & you do the same thing. If you keep looking for ways to take weight off with a few pounds here & there the next thing you know you got a lot more then you thought. I've taken a good fifty pounds off of my bike & you would never know it to look at it.

Too bad we didn't get the lock I suggested. Saw this one coming. Once again, Parmesan has injected his political slant into the discussion.
What politics? They can't get their facts straight. Nor can CNN for that matter. That's why they print retractions all the damn time. That was the point.

Last edited:
8 lbs. or 10 lbs. on a bike that weighs 600+ lbs. You guys have spent pages arguing over the hair on a mouse's nuts.
Well, yeah. You can't point out that somebody is wrong or exaggerating on this forum because they'll cry like babies over it for weeks on end.

Can we agree that the biggest weight savings comes from replacing the stock exhaust. Next would be replacing the stock battery. Are those the 2 biggest single changes that you can do to save you weight ?? Wheels ??

Can we agree that the biggest weight savings comes from replacing the stock exhaust. Next would be replacing the stock battery. Are those the 2 biggest single changes that you can do to save you weight ?? Wheels ??
The battery isn't even in the top 3.

Exhaust you can lose around 15 to 20 pounds depending on the brand you buy to replace it and losing the center stand that weighs 6 pounds all by itself.

Just getting rid of the rear fender and the steel under it is around 10 to 12 pounds.

The wheels and tires combination can save a good deal of weight. Going to lighter rims and tires both front and rear can net you 15 pounds or so.

The best you're going to do on a battery swap OF A FACTORY VMAX BATTERY is around 6 to 8 pounds.

That does NOT count some battery you kept around your garage for the last 15 years to weigh just in case this thread came up or any boat anchor fiberglass mat batteries someone looked up on the internet that never came in the bike to begin with.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back