Weird carb problems...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
I finally got my ignition system working right but now I have a carb problem (this was the biggest problem to begin with) sounds like I'm carrying a cylinder but at idle I'm not fat according to my wideband but it still has a pretty irradic idle for having the vboost totally closed. When you ride it coming off of a stop sign there is a noticeable chug to it and then it kinda cleans up some.. When you really get into it and get the rpms up though she goes pig rich (into the 10's on the wideband) and it runs like shit.. I thought I had a dead coil and I did find a problem in my wiring harness and it's fixed now so it doesn't foul plugs anymore. Set the floats dry on the bench at 1 1/8" and I did a wet test too and if anything I'm a little low (lean) but I was running a test with the airbox off... If I put my hand just lightly over carbs 2,3, and 4 the wideband goes fat like it should and if I really press down hard and choke the cylinder off with my hand the bike starts chugging and pukes a tiny bit of gas through the main jet well, if I put my hand lightly on carb number 1 there is no change in the wideband reading and it starts puking a little gas through the main jet well almost immediately and if I press down really hard then if finally starts reading rich and chugging but then it throws gas out of that main well pretty good.. It can't really be the float level or really the needle and seat because that would have showed up on the wet float test and it didn't... I'm stumped, maybe the rubber plugs in the jet block are seeping? Also when I ran the wet float test there was alot of air bubbles in there when I first released the drain screw, alot more bubbles than on any other cylinders but they did clear up but once I closed it and tested again they were right back... Any advice is appreciated, I've had these carbs apart like 3 times now and they are so clean you could eat out of them so I'm thinking I must have a defective part.. Could a vaccum leak be causing this?

You are positive you have a good strong spark on all four, right? Also how old are your spark plugs?
I think the jet block plugs and the gaskets and o-rings inside the carbs are quite important for good running - I'm sure you checked them all but did you replace any while you had the carbs off?

You are positive you have a good strong spark on all four, right? Also how old are your spark plugs?
I think the jet block plugs and the gaskets and o-rings inside the carbs are quite important for good running - I'm sure you checked them all but did you replace any while you had the carbs off?

Yuppers the ignition is all worked out now and the plugs are brand new... Gonna tear into the carbs again today but like I said #1 was acting way different than all the others so I'm really gonna be looking close at that one..

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Maybe the bubbles were a result of the drain hose being a bit loose on the fitting.
I'm thinking a bit of crap/gasket in one of the orifices, or maybe an air leak.

Well the carbs are fine now but the bike still runs like shit and is super rich, guess I must have screwed up lashing the valves when I put it back together... It's really the only thing left...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Back