Weird clutch problem since oil change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macca2912

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've scoured the forum, found some interesting info but nothing specific to my problem.
The backstory......vmax 2001my. Bought the bike from a friend in November last year. I knew it had idling problems as it had been sat for a bout 6 months. So I stripped the carbs and serviced, tuned and synced etc now engine running perfectly and idling fine. However, whilst playing with the carbs before removing them I noticed that #1 carb was leaking a tiny bit of fuel out of the main air jet bleed. This concerned me a little, thinking it may have found its way into the crankcase and diluted the engine oil. So my next job was oil and filter change. I filled her using Motul 5000 4T 10w40 semi synthetic. Since doing this though it seemed like the clutch was not disengaging. I did notice there was very little pressure at the clutch lever. The level was low in the master cylinder so I reverse bled the line and now have a much firmer clutch lever. I though it would be a good idea to remove the clutch cover to see if the clutch plates were moving, which they were (approx 4 / 5mm travel)......I assume this is normal?

Symptoms.......
1) off stands......engine off......clutch in......1st gear selected......will not move forward
2) off stands......engine running......clutch in.......select 1st gear (with front brake applied).......big clunk and slight lurch forward and engine stalls
3) on centre stand......engine running......clutch in.....select 1st gear.......rear wheel will spin briefly then stop........let clutch out slowly and wheel will start to turn as it should.....but then if I kill the engine, select neutral, then reselect 1st the rear wheel will not turn again with the clutch in.

I'm wondering while I write this if there something going on behind the gear selector?

Appreciate any suggestions......

Re. 1 pushing the bike in gear is going to try to turn the engine over, not easily done.

Test 4. Bike on stand, engine off, neutral gear selected. Can you turn the rear wheel by hand?
If not, first check the rear brake is not seized on. .

Thanks
I've got the clutch pulled in when I try to push it in 1st and yes I can turn the rear wheel in neutral.

Yeah, re. 1you did say clutch was in.

It does sound like the clutch is not disengaging.

I checked mine, about 1/8-1/2 inch free play before there is firm resistance.

I'll get flamed for this but i would suggest bleeding it normally, pull clutch, undo bleed nipple, close bleed nipple, release clutch.

Finally re. test 4, remove spark plugs and see if you can turn the rear wheel - that would rule out something in the final drive or gearbox being jammed, highly unlikely but....

Yis a strange one.

Look for a fluid discharge on the ground below the position of the slave cyl. Removing the slave cyl is 2 screws holding it in, but you have to remove the side cover over it. A bit of oil will discharge, you do not need to drain the crankcase to remove the side cover. I suggest the use of an extension on a good-fitting allen head socket, and an impact driver to loosen the screws. While the screws aren't heavily-torqued, the impact driver (I prefer a 3/8" or 1/2" manual one) will easily loosen the screws. Once you remove the slave cylinder you will see if it's leaking by the grunge between the slave piston and the engine case.

VMax clutch slave cyl.01.jpg

Latest posts

Back